Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Getting married-what am I in for?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Getting married-what am I in for?

Advertisements
    Hi all!

So where to begin, I don't even know what all to ask. But my boyfriend is stationed in the U.K. and we are getting married. But I don't know what all that entails...moving cost, paperwork, what's the timeline of all this look like....

any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Well as far as you joining...it could be harder compared to others. How much time does he have left over there before he heads back here to the US?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He will be there until at least July 2019, unless he extends. He could be there until July 2020.
  4. Senior Member
    When are you planning on getting married?
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Well he is deployed in Turkey right now until around the end of March...and I'm assuming we should get married in the states.....?

So the earliest he would be able to come to the states is early April. Nothing is set in stone though so this is a loose timeline.
  6. Senior Member
    For you to join him, heíd most likely would have to extend. He has to get you command sponsored for you to be able to move over there and that takes time. It could take months. And he canít get started on any of the paperwork until youíre actually married. So if April 2018 is the earliest, donít count on being with him until summer IF you get command sponsorship. I am not sure how much time he has to have left at a duty station for dependents to follow but Iím sure someone will know. I know itís most likely 2 years or more though.
  7. Senior Member
    He is currently on an unaccompanied tour. In order for you to join him, he would have to change that to an accompanied tour, which will add an additional year to his UK assignment. Meaning his DEROS will change to July 2020. He will have to have 12 months left in the UK in order for you to join him, but it doesn't sound like that would be a problem.
  8. Senior Member
    Okay. Great. Thatís what I was unsure of.
  9. Senior Member
    Also, you will be what is considered an "acquired dependent", meaning he "acquired" you in the middle of the set of orders. As such, it isn't really the military's fault you are apart, since basically you married a guy who lives far away from you. (That's the military's perspective.) Because of that, in nearly all cases, they will not pay for any costs associated with the move. That includes both your travel and the shipment of your things. You will have to arrange and pay for all that on your own. There may be a military flight to the UK that you could get on for a very small fee, but that's not guaranteed. (Someone else might be able to chime in on whether there is a regular rotator flight to and from the UK.) I know there's a regular military flight to Germany (from Baltimore, I think) and you could probably hop on that and they buy your own ticket from there to the UK, if you need to keep costs down, but that could get complicated and you would be a lower priority than people on a military move.

To get approved for command sponsorship (basically, that means the US military is officially taking responsibility for you being there, and providing benefits for you, including the right to overstay typical tourist visa limits), you will need to pass a medical screen and get an no-fee passport. (That is used only for official travel, so any traveling you want to do around Europe would still require a regular tourist passport, which you have to pay for, just like any other traveler does.) In order to speed the process of the medical screen, you can make sure you have a current pap smear, a current dental cleaning (and no outstanding major dental issues), all your immunizations, and possibly a few other things. (Your DF should be able to get a list of what is needed for his branch and the location, and it may include addition immunizations or tests, like a TB or HIV test, for example.) Having all that means once you are married, you can start the sponsorship paperwork ASAP. Also, be aware that medical conditions, even somewhat minor things or mental health issues, *MAY* cause you to be denied. Do you have any medical conditions, are you on any mental health meds, or is there anything unusual about your medical history?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.