Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First Care Package

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

First Care Package

Advertisements
    DB hasn't quite left yet and I just finished saying goodbye this weekend after flying to see him. Now I'm trying to brainstorm something fun and creative for the first care package I'll get to send to him and ever. Does anyone have fun suggestions?

Side note, letters! I can't wait to start sending these back and forth since DB said this will likely be the most reliable way to contact him while he's gone. Do you guys remember your first letter from him/her?
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Are you talking about basic training? I wasn't with DH for his but I think most people just do letters not care packages. I could be wrong, but think of care packages as something for deployments or really long trainings.
  3. Senior Member
    Many ideas on pinterest and all for care packages.

You talk about letters. Not sure what part of your SO and his job is....but somewhere in my house is the letters I sent to DH during his first deployment. He never sent me anything but emails. Which by now I think we have lost but the thought of those letters some where in this house.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Are you talking about basic training? I wasn't with DH for his but I think most people just do letters not care packages. I could be wrong, but think of care packages as something for deployments or really long trainings.
    No, he's being deployed. It's his second deployment but I've never gone through it before so I'm a total newbie when it comes to all this stuff and learning as I go.
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by mhd_mdh View Post
    No, he's being deployed. It's his second deployment but I've never gone through it before so I'm a total newbie when it comes to all this stuff and learning as I go.
    Oh okay! I was in a similar situation, my DH had deployed before we met but it was my first experience with them.

He said he didn't want care packages but when he got there he thought of things. He liked his favorite beef jerky, so my parents sent that to him monthly since they wanted to do something. I filled in the rest. He ended up with access to a Keurig so I sent a lot k cups. His favorite thing was sending him sheets and a pillow case from home since they were issued hard stiff linens. I also filled out a "What I love about you" book, which I have no idea if he read or not but it really helped me during the first month to stay feeling connected since it prompted me to think of fun memories we had together.
  6. Regular Member
    I've been through three deployments! Care packages were the most fun I had during them - it's what I had to look forward to when he left, and it definitely helped me from being so sad. He's usually only gone for a few months at a time and because of that, I've only sent one care package per deployment.

1st: I decorated his box with cheesy things like "you're the macaroni to my cheese" and inside, I put a Build-A-Bear in ABUs, a blender bottle filled with popcorn and red skittles/starbursts (he only eats the red ones), a DIY paper lantern with tea lights (this served as his Christmas present because he was gone during the holidays - it's on our bucket list to do floating lanterns together!), lots of snacks like Nutella to-go, Cliff bars, granola bars, Ferrero Rocher chocolates, and Monster energy drinks. I also wrote him 20 "open when" letters (i.e. open when you miss me, open when it's Thanksgiving, open when you're happy, etc.) and I put together an anthology of my favorite poems for him to read if he got bored.

2nd: My mom made him a ton of dehydrated snacks like dried mango, pineapple, apple, and beef jerky. The box was decorated with "10 things I miss & love about you" along with the journal I used to write in during his first deployment. It was filled with everything I wanted to tell him when he was gone. He also got a lot of energy drinks and protein snacks in this one since this deployment was particularly difficult in terms of the long hours.

3rd (currently on it): I made him a "1 year down, forever to go" box to celebrate our anniversary since he'd be gone during it. I already gave him his anniversary present prior to his departure (a picture collage of us and a watch with our date engraved) so this one was mostly filled with high protein & high fiber snacks, and tons of caffeine since this deployment was flight-heavy. I also made him a first aid kit and a "how-to" guide listing what symptoms to use what medications for and expiration dates (perks of dating a pharmacy student!).

I hope this gives you ideas!! The most important thing is to send things he loves, things he could need over there, and things that remind him of you. Also - nonperishables!! I've got pictures of all of them if you want to see it :-)
  7. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.