Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New around here :)

1. Regular Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchbox View Post
    I used to work with a guy who knew the whole musical off by heart. We'd be doing prep before service and he'd suddenly begin BELTING it at the top of his voice, including pushing all the way up to falsetto range for Cosette. I have no idea why he did this, but it was...strangely impressive.

I also read the book last year. Vastly pregnant and forbidden from doing anything remotely interesting, I went for the thickest book I could find, and the average copy of Les Mis is very like picking up a brick.

If you haven't read it, I honestly do recommend it. It's long, and he has a tendency to wander away from the point so he can go on long tangents about Waterloo, but it's so good. You say you're a Russian major...you should be very comfortable with sprawling epics where almost everyone dies, no? That's the heart and soul of Russian literature? So what if this one is French, it feels Russian.

Jody, no. Stepan...maybe.

My husband has the habit of using those slightly morbid army songs as lullabies for the kids. Based on purely what he sings to babies, I could teach you at least four you probably don't know.
    I'm another one of those people who knows the musical by heart But man I'd love to hear that falsetto he's got going on lmao!

They don't call it "the brick" for nothing! I actually read it in high school! During exams we weren't allowed to do anything but read after we finished our exams, and we had to wait until the whole school was done testing to leave. So one semester I decided to read Les Mis during that downtimes since I couldn't study for my other exams. It's such an amazing story, Waterloo tangents and all, lol. And hey, not all Russian lit is epically tragic! Just Tolstoy I maintain that Crime and Punishment is actually a novel with a very hopeful message at the end, though most people disagree with me because Dostoevsky, lmao. But I'm super attached to C&P (I'm doing my honors thesis on it next year), so I'm biased.

I was thinking Zhenya instead of Jody Geez, and I bet the kids don't totally get what's going on in the songs either lmao. I don't think I know any army songs actually, just part of the Airborne Ranger cadence because DB was singing it while cleaning his room and packing lol.
  2. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    Quote Originally Posted by _andimcosette View Post
    I'm another one of those people who knows the musical by heart But man I'd love to hear that falsetto he's got going on lmao!

They don't call it "the brick" for nothing! I actually read it in high school! During exams we weren't allowed to do anything but read after we finished our exams, and we had to wait until the whole school was done testing to leave. So one semester I decided to read Les Mis during that downtimes since I couldn't study for my other exams. It's such an amazing story, Waterloo tangents and all, lol. And hey, not all Russian lit is epically tragic! Just Tolstoy I maintain that Crime and Punishment is actually a novel with a very hopeful message at the end, though most people disagree with me because Dostoevsky, lmao. But I'm super attached to C&P (I'm doing my honors thesis on it next year), so I'm biased.

I was thinking Zhenya instead of Jody Geez, and I bet the kids don't totally get what's going on in the songs either lmao. I don't think I know any army songs actually, just part of the Airborne Ranger cadence because DB was singing it while cleaning his room and packing lol.
    He was less than thrilled when I gave him a newsboy cap (Eponine chic...has there ever been a production where she isn't wearing that?) as a Christmas present. Little does he know it was almost a very long blonde wig...

I haven't read Crime and Punishment yet. It's somewhere on the end of a to-be-read list that's outrageously long. You'd recommend it?

Also, out of interest what are your feelings on We? Have you met Yevgeny Zamyatin and his glass wonderland? It gave me the crawling horrors for at least two weeks, and I haven't yet decided whether I love it or hate it for that. I genuinely don't know if I could read it again.

Husband's choice in songs is deeply fucked up. All I can really do is tell him would you STOP with the PTSD and getting-blown-up songs. That's perverse...so he nods and smiles and carries on regardless. The best I can really hope for is that he picks this one rather than any of the others.

This is Fred. As far as I know, his name is actually Ian, but nevertheless he's Fred. Fred works for DFAT (our equivalent to your State Department) and fancies himself a musician - he's put out several albums, most of which we own because they ring very true for things Husband has done and places he's been. Having spent a very large chunk of time in Afghanistan, Fred had a message for the Dutch troops that shared a base with the Australians, something he'd prefer they stopped doing in the bathroom...

If you can guess what the word "swaffelen" means, I'll give you a cookie. The word "swaffelen" is now more or less banned in our house for anyone under the age of ten
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Regular Member
    He was less than thrilled when I gave him a newsboy cap (Eponine chic...has there ever been a production where she isn't wearing that?) as a Christmas present. Little does he know it was almost a very long blonde wig...

I haven't read Crime and Punishment yet. It's somewhere on the end of a to-be-read list that's outrageously long. You'd recommend it?

Also, out of interest what are your feelings on We? Have you met Yevgeny Zamyatin and his glass wonderland? It gave me the crawling horrors for at least two weeks, and I haven't yet decided whether I love it or hate it for that. I genuinely don't know if I could read it again.

Husband's choice in songs is deeply fucked up. All I can really do is tell him would you STOP with the PTSD and getting-blown-up songs. That's perverse...so he nods and smiles and carries on regardless. The best I can really hope for is that he picks this one rather than any of the others.

This is Fred. As far as I know, his name is actually Ian, but nevertheless he's Fred. Fred works for DFAT (our equivalent to your State Department) and fancies himself a musician - he's put out several albums, most of which we own because they ring very true for things Husband has done and places he's been. Having spent a very large chunk of time in Afghanistan, Fred had a message for the Dutch troops that shared a base with the Australians, something he'd prefer they stopped doing in the bathroom...

If you can guess what the word "swaffelen" means, I'll give you a cookie. The word "swaffelen" is now more or less banned in our house for anyone under the age of ten
    Yes, Crime and Punishment is one of those books I think everyone needs to read in their lifetime!

I actually haven't! I'm in a Soviet Science Fiction class right now and We gets referenced a lot, but it surprisingly wasn't on the syllabus. I need to read it though, and I'm sure I will in some other random Russian literature class I need to take to graduate, lol.

That's one of the tamer ones????? Oy vey, lmao. And the kids picked up the word!! Going solely off of what I think "swaffelen" means, that cannot be a good thing AT ALL, lol
  5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Yes, Crime and Punishment is one of those books I think everyone needs to read in their lifetime!

I actually haven't! I'm in a Soviet Science Fiction class right now and We gets referenced a lot, but it surprisingly wasn't on the syllabus. I need to read it though, and I'm sure I will in some other random Russian literature class I need to take to graduate, lol.

That's one of the tamer ones????? Oy vey, lmao. And the kids picked up the word!! Going solely off of what I think "swaffelen" means, that cannot be a good thing AT ALL, lol
    My two oldest only HALF understand. They know it’s something naughty, and they know it’s something grossly biological. Between them this combo is enough to make the song (and the concept) hysterically funny. Child One is seven, Child Two is very nearly five, they’re not looking for highbrow intellectual humour!

You know that game where you have to say a word you’re not supposed to say as loudly as you can and hope you don’t get caught?

That’s them. The song fits their habits perfectly

I’ll accept the Swaffel Song because at least it’s funny. Most of the others are...erm, darker. It’s a whole musical world of getting blown up, going mad, dying horribly and the many, many ways the army can ruin your life. He LOVES his job, but you would never know it if you went off his music choices.

Green Fields of France. The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. I Was Only Nineteen. The DAAS Warsong. Live Like An Afghan (this is one of Fred’s)...

Look up any one of those, and tell me my husband is not a morbid freak
  6. Regular Member
    My two oldest only HALF understand. They know it’s something naughty, and they know it’s something grossly biological. Between them this combo is enough to make the song (and the concept) hysterically funny. Child One is seven, Child Two is very nearly five, they’re not looking for highbrow intellectual humour!

You know that game where you have to say a word you’re not supposed to say as loudly as you can and hope you don’t get caught?

That’s them. The song fits their habits perfectly

I’ll accept the Swaffel Song because at least it’s funny. Most of the others are...erm, darker. It’s a whole musical world of getting blown up, going mad, dying horribly and the many, many ways the army can ruin your life. He LOVES his job, but you would never know it if you went off his music choices.

Green Fields of France. The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. I Was Only Nineteen. The DAAS Warsong. Live Like An Afghan (this is one of Fred’s)...

Look up any one of those, and tell me my husband is not a morbid freak
    Sound like the kind of songs DB would like He loves his job, but he'd find songs about all the ways the army can ruin your life hilarious!
  7. "...now do Classical Gas"
    Sound like the kind of songs DB would like He loves his job, but he'd find songs about all the ways the army can ruin your life hilarious!
    Maybe you can teach him some

If I teach you the ones my husband knows, and you teach him, there could be a beautiful cycle of musical military misery. Yes? No?

Pick any one of the ones I named, and prepare for thoroughly depressing goodness.
  8. Regular Member
    Maybe you can teach him some

If I teach you the ones my husband knows, and you teach him, there could be a beautiful cycle of musical military misery. Yes? No?

Pick any one of the ones I named, and prepare for thoroughly depressing goodness.
    It's true camaraderie spanning borders and time zones
  9. "...now do Classical Gas"
    It's true camaraderie spanning borders and time zones
    Is it not BEAUTIFUL?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12