Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Navy Possibility

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Navy Possibility

Advertisements
    Hi! I am a nervous ball of anxiousness and I have lots of questions (this is the reason why I went on here). My boyfriend is planning to go to the Navy and I have all these emotions running up and down. I came here to help alleviate that and talk to people who understand
  2. Senior Member
    welcome and what type of questions.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you! I was curious about how long you guys have been away from your significant others before you started living with them? Whether marriage before he goes into basics and active duty is a good idea? (Mainly because I have heard that it is harder live with them at certain points) The hardships of it. I am about to go to college and he is planning to start basics and is currently trying to meet the requirements. I don't really know where to begin, but this is what I had in mind
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    And thank you!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amtheodoss View Post
    Thank you! I was curious about how long you guys have been away from your significant others before you started living with them? Whether marriage before he goes into basics and active duty is a good idea? (Mainly because I have heard that it is harder live with them at certain points) The hardships of it. I am about to go to college and he is planning to start basics and is currently trying to meet the requirements. I don't really know where to begin, but this is what I had in mind
    I was also 18 like you are when my husband joined. We were apart one year from boot camp until he finished A and then C school (he's a Marine but his job school was on Navy bases).

Based on my experience, I don't think you should get married before boot camp and before you finish college. My advice would be to wait until you've lived on your own and truely been able to support yoursef: pay your own bills, rent, utilities, insurance, etc.

I've seen way too many young marriages fail because of the stress the military puts on them coupled with the fact that you're still young, inexperienced, and changing.

Wait at least until college is over.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I was also 18 like you are when my husband joined. We were apart one year from boot camp until he finished A and then C school (he's a Marine but his job school was on Navy bases).

Based on my experience, I don't think you should get married before boot camp and before you finish college. My advice would be to wait until you've lived on your own and truely been able to support yoursef: pay your own bills, rent, utilities, insurance, etc.

I've seen way too many young marriages fail because of the stress the military puts on them coupled with the fact that you're still young, inexperienced, and changing.

Wait at least until college is over.
    totally agree with the bolded. DH and I were both older when we got married and we both lived on our own for years first and honestly looking at other couples that we're meeting here we seem more prepared both financially and emotionally. There are separations through out being in the military whether you're married or not personally I feel more prepared for it now than I would have at 18 or 19 because I have been self sufficient, I've paid the bills, fixed the toilet etc while these are small things I know I can do the myself.

Also I believe if you get married before Basic and he didn't tell his recruiter before signing that can lead to issues but I may be wrong just something I've read on here a few times.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you. I really appreciate it. I feel the stress of everything hitting me really hard and I don't even know where to begin. I really appreciate your help! I feel kind of lost so this is really helping a lot
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I would not rush in to marriage. Bf and I have been together a year and are not rushing in to things. I am 35 and fully self sufficient, but marriage is never something to do just because it would make xyz easier or more convenient. Good luck!!
  9. Senior Member
    Rushing into marriage is never a good idea.
    Dh was stationed in Japan for three years and minus one two week visit (I went there for a week and then took him home for Christmas) we were apart the whole time.
    It really depends on what he does/where he goes.
    I wouldn't become an anxious ball of nerves yet, don't worry about something that hasn't even become stone.
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.