Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Army Partner

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

New Army Partner

Advertisements
    Hi I am totally new here and from Canada. I know very little about the US military. We met online and he currently is deployed. Is this normal? Also I have so many questions! Help please!
  2. Senior Member
    Welcome!

Is it normal for you to meet someone online who is deployed? I can't speak to the normality of it but it's definitely possible. Deployed service members have varying access to communication and the Internet but most are able to communicate back home regularly, except when they are on missions. We do get a lot of girls on here who meet guys online who claim to be in the military but the whole situation seems fishy, so if you're worried that it might not be normal, may I ask why? Have you seen evidence that he is actually in the military and deployed? Have you Skyped with him?

Other than wanting to find out if your situation is normal, what do you have questions about?
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    We text and email every day, multiple times a day. We also exchange pictures. We haven't skyped but met just over a month ago. I don't have anything fishy with him but have previously with others. Everything seems legit and fine. I just wonder if people can meet online. I have seen him in army tshirt and pictures that look like they are at the base. He has sent a couple current pictures but I've asked for more. I just want to make sure this is real and not in the past what has happened.

Other questions include personal transfers vs. military transfers. What is the difference? What can someone say about being in the military. I know he is located in Cameroon. What are good questions to ask him to find out more.
  4. Senior Member
    I have never heard of a personal transfer in the military. A move is called PCS and it's based on the needs of the military.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    You can definitely meet online but it's a common "scam" or whatever you'd like to call it. If he's given you no reason not to trust him that's fine, but I would be just slightly wary until you've Skyped and seen that he's the same person he's sending you pictures of or received mail from an APO/FPO. Like I said he may very well be exactly who he says he is, it's just something we see with enough frequency that we ask about it.

I replied to your other thread about transfers as well. Never heard of it.
  6. Senior Member
    Someone else had mentioned in another thread, a way to confirm he is legit in the service is to have him send you an email from his .mil email address.

Welcome and good luck!
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    What is a .mil email address? And just ask him for it? Someone also suggested to do Skype. Can you do Skype at all postings? Also for mail, if he was in Cameroon and a care package was to go to Nigeria then is that something normal or is there a normal care package box office for all military bases. He stated that there isn't at his.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    What is an APO/FPO?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malindra View Post
    What is a .mil email address? And just ask him for it? Someone also suggested to do Skype. Can you do Skype at all postings? Also for mail, if he was in Cameroon and a care package was to go to Nigeria then is that something normal or is there a normal care package box office for all military bases. He stated that there isn't at his.
    It's like the .edu email address you get for college but for the military - just an official military email. If he has internet I see no reason he wouldn't be able to Skype. No clue about the care packages.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malindra View Post
    What is an APO/FPO?
    Its their address when you ship a care package? Have you sent one? Their email should be a " .mil" at the end.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast