Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: My Ex Naval Officer Suffering From PTSD

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

My Ex Naval Officer Suffering From PTSD

Advertisements
    Let me start off by saying hello....My name is Mary....my fiances name is Martin....i am 28 years old...my fiance is 39.

I do not know much about his overseas experience as he does not like to talk about it, but i do know that whatever happened over there was traumatic enough for him to go from Happy one second....to a complete mess the next...anger, crying....etc.

We have been together a year and a half now...and i no longer know what to do. My relationship has practocally fallen apart.....and its because he says i do not understand him and why he is the way he is. This is my last and final hope in order to save the man i love....from himself.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Only question I have is whether he is getting treatment from a professional.
    If not, walk away. If he is not trying, why should you? Or in other words, if he does not want to help himself, all your understanding doesn't. After.
    I understand why my friend is an alcoholic. But if he won't get treatment, it doesn't matter whether I understand, because he is still going to drink.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Only question I have is whether he is getting treatment from a professional.
    If not, walk away. If he is not trying, why should you? Or in other words, if he does not want to help himself, all your understanding doesn't. After.
    I understand why my friend is an alcoholic. But if he won't get treatment, it doesn't matter whether I understand, because he is still going to drink.
    This. There's really not much else to say. It's okay for him to be sick and struggle, but when that sickness is causing significant problems and he refuses to get treated for it, all you can do is walk away so that his illness doesn't hurt you, too. You don't enable an alcoholic by not forcing upon him the consequences of his decisions, and you don't enable someone with PTSD, either. Leaving him protects you, and maybe--just maybe--it will help him see just how serious his disease is and cause him to get the treatment he needs.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

to MSOS. Please take a moment to read over our Everything A Newbie Needs To Know!!!thread. This is a very important sticky that will answer many of our most common newbie questions. It also has some VERY important information that every member of this site needs to read and know.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.