Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: OPSEC & PERSEC...MUST READ!!!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Exclamation OPSEC & PERSEC...MUST READ!!!

Advertisements
    Please read through this WHOLE post and even research it on your own... this is a BIG deal not only here, but anywhere else you post anything or talk about anything. OPSEC does not only apply to this site, it applies EVERYWHERE!

OPSEC is the first and most important thing that you need to know about deployments. Breaking OPSEC will NOT be tolerated on MSOS. Below are a few key things that are not allowed, they are the most common things that we have people post.

These apply to not only the deployment as a whole, but any R&R, emergency leave, and so on. This also applies not just to the main boreds, but also PM's, blogs, and pretty much anywhere else on the internet, this is not an MSOS specific "rule".

• Do not post the exact day that your SO is leaving unless he has already left.
    • Do not post the exact day that your SO is coming home until he is already home.
    • The smallest time frame that you can say is the name of the month. That means no commenting on whether its the beginning, middle, or end. Even saying "a few weeks" will be edited.
    • Do not post the exact camp or city that your SO is deployed to. You can say the country (example: Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan) and thats it, thats as specific as you can get.
    • Do not post the days and/or time frames that your SO is going out on a mission or any upcoming communication black outs that you know of.

This list will be updated and edited as it needs to. To be honest though if the staff ends up having to add more to the list, thats NOT going to be a good thing. You all need to keep each other in check and make sure that your fellow members are not posting violations and putting their SO's lives at risk.

If you have any questions feel free to contact myself or another staff member at any time, or ask your question in this thread and someone will respond. There are no stupid questions when it comes to OPSEC. I would rather people ask and me have to repeat myself a million times then having anyone post a violation.

If you see a OPSEC violation there is a small white triangle on the left hand side of the post with a red ! in it. Click that icon and report the post, the staff will handle it immediately.
    Here is a list of other places you can educate yourself on OPSEC:

http://www.opsecprofessionals.org/ar...SEC_Rules.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5096424_prac...-military.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operations_security

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23213.asp

Also a note about PERSEC:

PERSEC entails protecting personal information that’s not strictly related to military operations but could endanger an active-duty member or the member’s family

It is strongly advised on this site by both staff and members that you do not give out your last name, phone number, address, or any specific personal information to people you do not know. We have a policy on this bored that your last name cannot be in your screen name, the rest is personal choice, but again we STRONGLY advise against it.
    Last edited by Tojai; 10-25-2012 at 09:04 AM.
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Thanks Sam

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    Thanks Sam
    I was just gona bump the OPSEC stickies we have, but most of them are locked.
  4. ...
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. I'm a dog person.
    I'm a dog person.
    thanks, i think everyone definitely needed a reminder! i've noticed an influx of violations too

boop boop boop boopy boop.
  6. Army Aviation Wife
    Army Aviation Wife
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
  8. missin my Old Kentucky Home far away
    missin my Old Kentucky Home far away
    Thanks Sam! I have noticed them too!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  10. and still I think of you