Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeeding/pumping help!!!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Breastfeeding/pumping help!!!

Advertisements
    So I think I screwed up my milk supply. Baby is 11 days old. i started out pouring milk. Like DH made me laugh when I was about to get in the shower and milk dripped all over the floor. I would get 2-3 ounces in just 15 minutes of pumping. Now I'm barely getting 1 ounce after 20-30 minutes of pumping.

I started pumping because we were having latch issues but now nipple shields have fixed the latch issues but she doesn't eat enough to empty me but I didn't need to pump so I didn't and now I think my supply has diminished.

Can I do anything to fix this? Can it be increased once it decreases? I found a "schedule" on Pinterest of pump for 20 minutes, rest 10 min, pump 10 min, rest 10 min, pump 10 min. I tried it once so far. By the last 10 min of pumping I was totally empty with nothing else coming out at all.

2. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Are you pumping regularly? I notice my supply drops when I don't establish a good schedule of pumping every 3 hours. My supply also gets low at night, so don't be too discouraged by that.
    Is there a lactation consultant you can talk to in your area? Mine suggested taking a fenugreek supplement that has helped. I'm not pumping out massive amounts, but still enough for my girl.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I know there are tons of ways to increase supply so I definitely wouldn't give up hope! It's been years since I've done it so I'm sure someone has more info than me but I did do the fenugreek stuff. Definitely look into a lactation consultant or a local breastfeeding group. It's nice to talk to people in person about what's happening because usually another mama has been through it too
  4. Senior Member
    I agree with Juliet, pumping regularly..

When I had a dip in my supply at the very beginning, because my son was readmitted to the hospital, I following a power pumping schedule (You can google it and it will give you a chart).. It helped keep my supple up, and I believe helped me gain some too. When I started a stash to go back to work, I used the power pumping chart again.

Also, drink a TON of water. Oatmeal helps supply, fenugreek, and blessed thistle.

I also bought lactation cookies to keep with my at work and snack on.. I got the brand "Milk-N-Cookies"

If you are on facebook, join "The Leaky Boob"
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKatLady. View Post
    So I think I screwed up my milk supply. Baby is 11 days old. i started out pouring milk. Like DH made me laugh when I was about to get in the shower and milk dripped all over the floor. I would get 2-3 ounces in just 15 minutes of pumping. Now I'm barely getting 1 ounce after 20-30 minutes of pumping.

I started pumping because we were having latch issues but now nipple shields have fixed the latch issues but she doesn't eat enough to empty me but I didn't need to pump so I didn't and now I think my supply has diminished.

Can I do anything to fix this? Can it be increased once it decreases? I found a "schedule" on Pinterest of pump for 20 minutes, rest 10 min, pump 10 min, rest 10 min, pump 10 min. I tried it once so far. By the last 10 min of pumping I was totally empty with nothing else coming out at all.
    Since you are using a shield, you need to continue to pump. Shields are great at giving your nips a break, but they can make your supply go down. Make sure you keep trying to nurse without the shield, they are wonderful devices but fixing the latch without them will be so helpful.
    Message me anytime for help girl.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Senior Member
    I agree with PP. I found that a regular schedule definitely will increase supply. It's been years ago for me but I remember if my schedule got out of whack so did my supply.
  7. Senior Member
    Have a nursing day or two.
    I hear drinking water helps.
    Have you also started massaging/prepping your supply? I feel like that helps getting a better flow going.
    Oh and I would also pump after R has nursed. I realized the boob that hasnt been used (or was last alternated) has a good amount in ready for expression.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Have a nursing day or two.
    I hear drinking water helps.
    Have you also started massaging/prepping your supply? I feel like that helps getting a better flow going.
    Oh and I would also pump after R has nursed. I realized the boob that hasnt been used (or was last alternated) has a good amount in ready for expression.
    Massaging while pumping is a great way to help your milk let down more! Also doing a hot compress before and during pumping helps too.
    Another good thing to do for pumping, is pump the other side while baby nurses, or even just being topless and have a bag or cup catch your let down on the other side. Every drop helps, and you can combine all the milk from one day.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Senior Member
    Not a mom here, but I've heard the yeast in beer helps with supply.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Not a mom here, but I've heard the yeast in beer helps with supply.
    It's not the yeast really it's the hopps. But in reality it's more of the fact that the beer relaxes you. The beer you would have to drink is the really dark bitter kind.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress