Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: People Kissing Your Baby

1. Senior Member

People Kissing Your Baby

Advertisements
    Am I the only one that cringes when people kiss a baby?

Since DD was born I have been pretty strict with my family and what is allowed as far as kissing her. Basically kissing on the forehead is ok but nothing on her cheeks or lips. When it comes to her pacifiers if they need to be cleaned then I insist that it is done with water and not by someone just popping it in their mouth. And that goes for me and DH as well.

I am just worried that she will end up catching cavities from someone from the kissing and stuff so I have been doing my best to prevent it. Today when I went to pick her up from daycare one of the girls was kissing on her and I cringed. I really have no control over what happens at daycare and now I am worried that she is going to end up catching cavities from one of the girls loving on her there since I really cant control what happens there. I explained my rules to them and the girl said they would follow them but I feel like a wierdo for being so specific about how people can kiss DD.

Is that weird? Is anyone else like this? Am I the only one that worries about their child catching cavities from someone?
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I don't think that's weird at all. It's completely normal, in my opinion, to not want other people to kiss your child on the mouth. Mouths are gross.

Also, I don't believe it weird to worry about children getting cavities from others either. If you have cavities, you can give them to your kids by sharing eating utensils... so I don't think it's impossible. Especially if they pop her paci in their mouth to "clean it"

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Am I the only one that cringes when people kiss a baby?

Since DD was born I have been pretty strict with my family and what is allowed as far as kissing her. Basically kissing on the forehead is ok but nothing on her cheeks or lips. When it comes to her pacifiers if they need to be cleaned then I insist that it is done with water and not by someone just popping it in their mouth. And that goes for me and DH as well.

I am just worried that she will end up catching cavities from someone from the kissing and stuff so I have been doing my best to prevent it. Today when I went to pick her up from daycare one of the girls was kissing on her and I cringed. I really have no control over what happens at daycare and now I am worried that she is going to end up catching cavities from one of the girls loving on her there since I really cant control what happens there. I explained my rules to them and the girl said they would follow them but I feel like a wierdo for being so specific about how people can kiss DD.

Is that weird? Is anyone else like this? Am I the only one that worries about their child catching cavities from someone?
    Catching cavities? Is this something new?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Moderator

I don't have a very affectionate family and we don't use pacifiers, so this has never even come up. I'm more concerned about oral herpes than cavities though. Actually, I have never even heard of catching cavities until now! But I would probably be bothered by anyone other than me, DH or our kids kissing my newborn at all.
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Gum disease, too.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would tell the daycare people they shouldn't be kissing my child at all! lol, so no, I think you're perfectly reasonable. I'm not really a germophobe, and I know germs could spread just as easily from someone's hands, but, the lips to face thing just irks me
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would think it is odd if DD's teachers were kissing her. More of a boundary thing than a germ/cavity thing. I also don't do mouth cleaning pacifiers. If I wouldn't put it in her mouth I wouldn't put it in mine either. I have those pacifier/toy wipes I keep in my bag for cleaning.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You can't catch cavities. I wouldn't want a stranger to do the paci thing.

Honestly, with my first I was a bit more paranoid. After a bit, I relaxed down. I don't mind kisses on the forehead or cheeks. That is fine. I can wash them. On the lips, nope; but, if my kid's initiated it, I wasn't going to stop it.

They pick up germs by crawling, touching anything, and I learned to just relax about it. I learned I would rather have them sick when little then when older. Builds an immune system and that is very important. Unless you sanitize each toy after every person comes in contact with it and even when the child touches it, she is going to catch something.

Just my opinion though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Senior Member
    I am so glad I am not the only one! I was starting to think I was a wierdo for it

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    It's not new but I don't think it has been talked about much until recently. There are certain bacteria that are responsible for tooth decay which can be passed from person to person through saliva. So if you have those bacteria then you can have the world's best oral hygiene but you are still going to be at a substantially increased risk for developing cavities compared to someone who does not have those bacteria in their mouth and has only mediocre oral hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    I don't have a very affectionate family and we don't use pacifiers, so this has never even come up. I'm more concerned about oral herpes than cavities though. Actually, I have never even heard of catching cavities until now! But I would probably be bothered by anyone other than me, DH or our kids kissing my newborn at all.
    Oral herpes definitely concerns me as well. I feel like people who have herpes are usually pretty aware of when they have a cold sore and tend to be a bit more cautious during those times. But that is a big assumption on my part and probably not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    You can't catch cavities. I wouldn't want a stranger to do the paci thing.

Honestly, with my first I was a bit more paranoid. After a bit, I relaxed down. I don't mind kisses on the forehead or cheeks. That is fine. I can wash them. On the lips, nope; but, if my kid's initiated it, I wasn't going to stop it.

They pick up germs by crawling, touching anything, and I learned to just relax about it. I learned I would rather have them sick when little then when older. Builds an immune system and that is very important. Unless you sanitize each toy after every person comes in contact with it and even when the child touches it, she is going to catch something.

Just my opinion though.
    Cavities actually are contagious. Which is why I am so paranoid because we only get 1 set of teeth in our life. Well technically 2 sets but you know what I mean. I am fine with her crawling around and all of that fun stuff. And one of the reasons why I like that she is in daycare is that she is being exposed to all of the fun viruses that kids love to pass around. She will probably have a stuffy nose from now until she starts kindergarten. Which is a good thing in my book since it builds up her immune system.

But I hate the idea of someone infecting her with the bacteria that cause cavities and her having to deal with that down the road.
  10. Senior Member
    I am the complete opposite of that.

I think it's just a parenting style/choice. And I've also never, ever heard of someone catching cavities until now. It's not aethkng that would concern me at all. I'd be more worried about viruses, etc from kissing.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast