Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Does anyone have any experience with allergy testing for infants?

1. Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with allergy testing for infants?

Advertisements
    So, you guys may remember that I've posted twice now about potential breastfeeding issues. The good news is my supply is fine, just as I thought. Nolan is latching and transferring just fine, just as I thought. However, I am 99% sure he is allergic to almonds.

When he was born, I wasn't consuming almonds frequently. I'd have a few sliced almonds on a salad occasionally, and every once and awhile my husband would make an almond milk smoothie (that was never any good, so I'd have a few sips and spit it out, haha). Then I discovered the almond and caramel sea salt kind bar creations and I was hooked, and I've pretty much been eating one every day since.

Nolan's poops have been occasionally green and slightly mucousy, but at first it was never consistent. Once I started eating almonds all the time, it got bad, to the point that there was sometimes even blood in his stool. After going away for Labor Day and realizing how much better he was, I finally put two and two together and realized it was the almonds. Since Labor Day weekend, I haven't had a single almond, and he's finally back to the early days of normal looking breastfed poops.

Obviously, I'm relieved to figure out what was wrong. I have a couple of questions though. Since he's almost 6 months old, we'll be starting solids soon. Clearly, almonds (or tree nuts of any kind) will be avoided entirely. Right now I'm staying at home, so I'm able to closely monitor the foods I give him so I'm not too worried. Still, I had a cousin with a severe peanut allergy, and he had to use his epi pen a couple of times because of hidden peanuts in dishes at restaurants, etc. Has anyone had their infant tested for allergies? How bad is it? Would you get your child tested now, just in case his reaction is severe enough to need an epi pen or something?

I'm really on the fence. I don't want to subject him to the pain of allergy testing, but I would hate to be in a situation where he could have a reaction and not be prepared. I called the pediatrician and left a message with the nurse telling her about why I think he has an allergy, etc. and she called back and said the pediatrician said to go get him tested and gave me the name and number of the place that does the allergy testing. I dunno, it just seemed weird that I didn't get a chance to talk to the pediatrician about it at all and know more about how they do it, what allergy tests they would do, etc.

Also, is it possible that his allergy could be part of the reason he hasn't gained as much as they would have liked?
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Both of my kids have had allergy testing done and they both had it done in different ways. My daughter was three years old and they did the 20+ pricks up and down her back. My son was under a year old and they did his by blood test. Wish I could answer your second question. Hope you get some answers soon.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Stephanie
    Stephanie

My son had an allergy to milk and soy for two months before doctors finally took me seriously and helped me do something about it. He now sees a GI doctor who said she won't test a child for allergies before they turn 2. Apparently before they're two there are a lot of false positives. The lack of weight gain could absolutely be because of the allergy. My son was born at 6lbs 13oz and at 5 months old only weighed 9 1/2lbs. His allergy didn't show up until he was 3 months old when he got hand foot mouth. My son cried for 8 hours a day for the two months until they listened to me.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Dd had a blood allergy test done due to mucus and blood in her stool. For us the GI doctor was a bit of a waste. I was told to give up dairy and soy and being vegetarian it was a bit tough on me and after two months she was still having the same problems. Her ped did the blood allergy test and she didn't have any allergy responses.

I just took her down to the lab and they took blood. It takes two or three people to hold her down for any test so it isn't fun, but it isn't terrible. Her doc said since she had no response starting her on solids would be easier since there wasn't much to look out for which is nice.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    Both of my kids have had allergy testing done and they both had it done in different ways. My daughter was three years old and they did the 20+ pricks up and down her back. My son was under a year old and they did his by blood test. Wish I could answer your second question. Hope you get some answers soon.
    Thanks! It's been frustrating but at least I know what to avoid to make sure he's doing ok, I just want to make sure he's safe going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Marines_Booty View Post
    My son had an allergy to milk and soy for two months before doctors finally took me seriously and helped me do something about it. He now sees a GI doctor who said she won't test a child for allergies before they turn 2. Apparently before they're two there are a lot of false positives. The lack of weight gain could absolutely be because of the allergy. My son was born at 6lbs 13oz and at 5 months old only weighed 9 1/2lbs. His allergy didn't show up until he was 3 months old when he got hand foot mouth. My son cried for 8 hours a day for the two months until they listened to me.
    Oh man! That has to be so tough! My son was 7lbs 2.9oz at birth, and at 4 months he was 13lbs. So, not too tiny, by any means, but he definitely continued to drop in percentiles at each subsequent check up. I wonder why the GI doctor says they won't test for allergies before two? I understand that allergies to dairy and soy are sometimes considered "sensitivities" and that kids eventually grow out of them, but from the little reading I've done, most kids don't outgrow allergies to nuts... I'm just afraid he'd have a severe reaction, but I don't know how likely that is, especially if I don't have a test for sure that says he's 100% definitely allergic.

Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Dd had a blood allergy test done due to mucus and blood in her stool. For us the GI doctor was a bit of a waste. I was told to give up dairy and soy and being vegetarian it was a bit tough on me and after two months she was still having the same problems. Her ped did the blood allergy test and she didn't have any allergy responses.

I just took her down to the lab and they took blood. It takes two or three people to hold her down for any test so it isn't fun, but it isn't terrible. Her doc said since she had no response starting her on solids would be easier since there wasn't much to look out for which is nice.
    Hmmm... does he need to have consumed the food in order for an allergy to show up?
  6. Senior Member
    My pediatrician would also not test (or send a referral for a test) for allergies until DS was older. He said the same thing about false positives. DS has/had terrible eczema and the triad of allergies/eczema/asthma really had me worried he was going to have severe allergies. He *knock on wood* has not had any food allergies but does have sensitivities to citrus (diarrhea).
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Levi had the blood draws done a few times. Those are only going to be accurate if the allergen is in his system. For instance, we had a pediatrician tell us Levi wasnt allergic to milk because his blood draw came back negative. Well, your body can't react to something that isn't there! I hadn't been eating dairy for a year and a half at that point. That's the testing they would do on a younger baby, the scratch test most won't until baby is older.

He also got a scratch test done at around 20 months, they did 2 group pokes of about 8 each and the about 12-16 more individual ones, plus the positive and negative control sticks. We still have to go back for a second testing at some point. This one was more accurate, as they're giving them the allergen in the poke, Levi's swelled and reddened up immediately.

As for the weight, allergies definitely can affect that. At 2 months old Levi was down a pound from his birth weight and classified as failure to thrive. He didnt hit 13 ppunds until 6 or 7 months.

At 3 months, after cutting out dairy and soy from my diet, he had an Upper GI and almost full colonoscopy to find he was covered in ulcers, eosinophilic esophogitis. His body couldn't absorb any nutrients thanks to those, but I would imagine not everyone gets that severe.

I would definitely try to see a GI with there being blood in the diaper, that's the first sign of the ulcers. Levi's went from being just flecks to full out blood diapers, his GI said he had seen nothing like it in his 10 years. They can do the blood draws and stuff there, but if the symptoms persist they would eventually send you out to an allergist.