Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding issues?

1. Senior Member

Breastfeeding issues?

Advertisements
    So, since we are PCSing, I took Nolan in yesterday a little early for his 4 month appointment. I had to see a different pediatrician at this practice than I normally see, because my usual guy whom I LOVE was already all booked for back to school physicals and such.

Apparently my kid is really tall (which I knew) but she was concerned about his weight. At 3.5 months old, he's 25.5" and 12.5 pounds. She asked me all these questions about my supply, and seemed concerned, and asked that he be re-checked in a month. I'm worried that the new pediatrician will suggest that we supplement with formula, which I really don't want to do unless it's important for his health. Everything else is perfect--he is a happy, healthy baby. He's met or exceeded his developmental milestones, never cries (unless he's hungry or tired). He's fed every three hours (although sometimes there's one nap a day that he oversleeps--I always wake him up at 3.5 hours to feed, but that's the longest he goes during the day). At night, he usually goes for a 6 hour stretch, and then a 4 hour stretch (and at the 6 hour mark, I think it's more habit than hunger--I feed him for about 3 or 4 minutes and he's done and goes back to sleep).

Rationally, I feel like he's fine. If he weren't getting enough to eat, he'd be fussy, eating more often, and not seeming satisfied. He wouldn't be having the normal diaper output. He wouldn't be able to go for long stretches at night. Plus, DH is tall and skinny (6'1", and probably 170-180 pounds). I also had issues as a baby, and barely doubled my birth weight, ending the year at 16 pounds. Still, the pediatrician is making me worry.

Is there anything I can do to encourage my son to eat more/longer? He seems to eat more vigorously if I stretch out his feedings versus trying to feed him more often, but I don't know if that's the right thing to do (he slept past the 3 hour feed mark yesterday, and when he did eat, he nursed for almost 20 minutes, when normally he goes for 10-11 minutes max). Any advice/reassurance?
  2. Moderator

Keep doing what you are doing. What you are doing is working! You have a healthy, happy, well adjusted child, who seems to sleep so I am totally jealous.

Peds get caught up in charts and graphs. No child is the same and not every child fits the perfect growth chart.

I think you're doing great and I wouldn't change a thing.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Just keep monitoring his weight. They can have some FTT issues and not be unhappy babies, I know a lot of kids who have had weight issues and needed supplementing but weren't acting hungry. But if he is following a growth curve and not stalled out or losing he should be getting plenty. Doctors always worry when a baby is lower on the charts, not always because something is wrong, but because if they get sick or something does happen they don't have any extra leeway in the weight department.

4. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    What percentile is he in? Peds often start to worry when they dip below the 5th, and rightfully so. Or if they're not following their growth curve. For peace of mind you can purchase a baby scale and monitor his weight once a week. 4-7 oz is average for a breastfed baby during the first six months. I've used a baby scale with every kid since they either had GERD and I needed to monitor weight due to vomiting/spitting up frequently and/or had supply issues and needed to monitor their weight gain.

The scales I've used are pretty accurate. About an ounce off from doctor's and midwife's scale.
    Pax, Aeon
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Keep doing what you are doing. What you are doing is working! You have a healthy, happy, well adjusted child, who seems to sleep so I am totally jealous.

Peds get caught up in charts and graphs. No child is the same and not every child fits the perfect growth chart.

I think you're doing great and I wouldn't change a thing.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Twinderella View Post
    Just keep monitoring his weight. They can have some FTT issues and not be unhappy babies, I know a lot of kids who have had weight issues and needed supplementing but weren't acting hungry. But if he is following a growth curve and not stalled out or losing he should be getting plenty. Doctors always worry when a baby is lower on the charts, not always because something is wrong, but because if they get sick or something does happen they don't have any extra leeway in the weight department.
    That makes sense. He was 11 lbs even at his 2 month appointment, and 12.5 lbs at 3.5 months. So, if a breastfed baby gains on average 4-7 oz. per week, he gained 1.5 lbs in 6 weeks which would put him on the very low end of "normal." He's currently in the 16th percentile for weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulCupcake View Post
    What percentile is he in? Peds often start to worry when they dip below the 5th, and rightfully so. Or if they're not following their growth curve. For peace of mind you can purchase a baby scale and monitor his weight once a week. 4-7 oz is average for a breastfed baby during the first six months. I've used a baby scale with every kid since they either had GERD and I needed to monitor weight due to vomiting/spitting up frequently and/or had supply issues and needed to monitor their weight gain.

The scales I've used are pretty accurate. About an ounce off from doctor's and midwife's scale.
    That's a good idea. Once we get settled in our new place, I'll order a scale from Amazon so I can monitor. He's 16th percentile for weight, and 95 percentile for height. I have a feeling they measured his height incorrectly during the 2 month visit (during the 2 week visit he was in the 94 or 95 percentile for height, then during the 2 month visit he dropped to the 40-something percentile for height, and now he's back up to the 95th percentile again). I think that's part of the problem--from last visit to this one it looks like he grew a whole bunch height-wise, but didn't gain as much weight-wise.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Seems perfect to me. I wouldn't push feeding more he could start spitting up from being too full. It can be nerve racking when you feel like you are being judged for your choices by a doctor. I think the issue is with a random provider rather than your son. I'd just keep trucking along. My ped said they like babies to double their birth weight by 4 months, he looks pretty close.
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Also, make sure they are using a breastfeeding scale...I've heard they can be different percentages and weight gain based on formula/breast.

If he's gaining weight and growing taller and happy and meeting milestones, I would just keep an eye out. As long as he is following his own curve, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

8. Senior Member
    He's also an extremely active baby. He's constantly in motion unless he's sleeping--kicking his legs, grabbing for toys, etc. He has amazing head control for his age and will lie contentedly on his belly for 20-30 minutes easy, looking around, practicing rolling, etc.
  9. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    He's also an extremely active baby. He's constantly in motion unless he's sleeping--kicking his legs, grabbing for toys, etc. He has amazing head control for his age and will lie contentedly on his belly for 20-30 minutes easy, looking around, practicing rolling, etc.
    It is also possible he is just burning the calories as he eats them if he is so active , based on this statement!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    Seems perfect to me. I wouldn't push feeding more he could start spitting up from being too full. It can be nerve racking when you feel like you are being judged for your choices by a doctor. I think the issue is with a random provider rather than your son. I'd just keep trucking along. My ped said they like babies to double their birth weight by 4 months, he looks pretty close.
    Yeah, he was 7lbs 3oz at birth, so in the next 2.5 weeks, if he gains a pound or so, he'd be close.

Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post
    Also, make sure they are using a breastfeeding scale...I've heard they can be different percentages and weight gain based on formula/breast.

If he's gaining weight and growing taller and happy and meeting milestones, I would just keep an eye out. As long as he is following his own curve, I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Thanks! I'm trying not to be too anxious. He's obviously growing and gaining height just fine! I'm switch feeding--once he stops/slows down on one breast, I'll burp him or change his diaper and offer the other side. Normally I'd stop after offering both sides, but I've continued to burp/change him until he flat out refuses. Hopefully that helps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast