Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapering

1. Senior Member

Cloth diapering

Advertisements
    I am hoping to get some feedback, suggestions, and ideas on cloth diapers. In early January '16 I will be a first time mom. We will also be PCS'ing overseas in April - May time frame of 2016 I'm wondering if you all can tell me your favorite type of cloth diapers? Do you like pockets, AIO, pre-folds, AI2, Ect. What do you'll like about this type of diaper? has anyone pcs'ed with a newborn overseas while cloth diapering? Thank you for any tips, suggestions, or thoughts.
    ~ Sara ~
  2. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    My favorite through all the years was prefolds and pins. Cheap, easy to clean, different ways to wear, and durable for other uses after wards. That was all I used with my older 2 as that was all that was available. With my son I did find some love for pockets. AIO's just didn't work for me. It wasn't until child #4 that I discovered fitteds and contours. The right ones don't need a cover and they are super adorable.

Honestly if I were to travel overseas I would stick with prefolds. They are thinner and more versatile. You can jelly roll for poos and trifold other wise. They wash wonderfully and don't take long to dry. I have never gone overseas but have moved/traveled many a time with one in diapers. So going overseas might be a whole new ball game. There is also disposables that are natural so you aren't using all the chemicals, but still have the convenience of tossing.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I have PCS'd over seas (from Hawaii to Guam and then Guam to East Coast) twice with my kids. First one was around 9mos old (and I had JUST started cloth) and second time was 7-8mos old and I was an experienced cloth mom

I didn't have the luxury to lean on disposables while traveling with my first because his allergy to disposables was so, so bad. At the time, we were doing the cheapest option to find which was mostly prefolds and covers with about 5 or 6 pockets that a friend on here had sold me super cheap to help me out. I survived but living in a hotel for 10 days and the long plane ride sucked with prefolds. I hated them.

By about 6mos into my cloth diaper time with my first, I discovered fitteds (because we also discovered Wyatt was allergic to the PUL fabric which is what is used to make the diapers waterproof). Fitteds changed my cloth outlook. They're breathable which was a huge factor for us being in Guam with the constant humidity. We barely ever covered because I always changed frequently. For night and outings, we used wool covers. Game changer.

Now, fitteds, in general, are more of an investment up front but the benefits to us were worth it.

PCS'ing with my second son was so much easier. He doesn't have an allergy to PUL so for the plane ride, I had bought some AIO's (Bumgenius Free times) and that was that. We had over 24hrs of travel on the plane and layovers so I took a huge hanging pail size wetbag and plastic bags. I put the poop diapers into plastic bags (after shaking the poo out since Emmett was already on solids, if you're exclusively breastfeeding, you don't have to worry about shaking poo out) and then the bags went into the big wetbag. On our longest lay over, I was able to rinse out some of the diapers, nothing too messy, and I had my chlorox wipes and wiped out the sink in the baby center that I used.

Honestly, it's not terrible once you get into a groove of diapering. I, personally, will never tell new moms to go with prefolds. While they have good qualities, there's a lot more to think about when putting them on and while PCS'ing anywhere is stressful, moving overseas is just so much more involved and game changing. My advice would be DO NOT go out and buy all one brand/kind of diaper right now. Buy a few of each style that you're interested in or rent one of the tester kits from any number of the cloth/natural stores onliine and use them. Play with them. Wash them. Then decide what you really like and what brand you like and then go back and buy a stash.
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Yes on not putting all your money into one brand or type of diaper. You might go in thinking you will like one thing and find it that it isn't for you. Diapers have a high resell value though if you wash properly. Having a huge rotation of different types AND brands gave me lots of leverage. There are times when I needed prefolds. Times when pockets were the best option. The fitteds with no covers is great when battling rash and the bottom needs to "breathe" with no cover. Having several wet bags is a must when traveling also. My rule was 1 wet bag per 2 diapers. Prefolds are 4-5 to 1 wet bag.
  5. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Pockets are my favorite. I tried several different kinds, and that's just what works for us!
  6. Senior Member
    We cloth diaper I used all Green Mountain Diaper Company prefolds and fitteds. I do love this system because AIOs would take forevvvvver to dry. I also have some Sweet Iris luxury flats that I love.

What worked great for us was newborn fitteds and prefolds. I used prefolds during the day and saved the fitteds for nighttime changes when I was sleepy and didn't want to mess around with folds. Now though, DS isn't pooping at night so we don't change him. So we have just two fitteds that we use with inserts and a wool cover at night and use prefolds during the day. Easy peasy.
  7. Senior Member
    I've been cloth diapering for 3 years now, between 2 children. Honestly, what I liked in the beginning, I hated later on, etc. I would say my overall, most loved diaper has been the Bum Genius 4.0 pocket diapers. They fit my babies at 10lbs and last until potty training. You can customize your absorbancy needs and they wash and dry well. With that being said, I have gotten TOTALLY burned out on stuffing pocket diapers. It's just one more thing "to do" and I typically forget about them until before bedtime (our laundry is upstairs where I don't spend much time) when I'm totally not in the mood. My husband has been doing the pocket stuffing for the last year or so.

After pockets I got really into one size fitteds with snappis and a one size Blueberry or Rumparooz diaper cover. They are much more trim fitting, they wash and dry well. I got 'out' of them when my kid got super squirmy and I didn't want to deal with her trying to pull the snappi off.

Then I discovered the Bum Genius Freetime all in one diapers. I hated the bum genius elemental ones because they take FOREVER to dry, but the freetimes definitely dry quicker. I've loved those until toddlerhood. Now my 18 month old will pee so much at once that they leak. It's strange...so I've gone back to the 4.0 pockets for the majority of the time.

I probably have 60 or so diapers, not including a couple dozen prefolds. I have probably 8 various covers. I love them all and use them all for different things. If I were traveling through airports and on airplanes, I probably wouldn't want to use cloth, but I would still want to pack them in my luggage "to bring" - at minimum, I'd probably want 20-30 diapers to allow for washing every other day.
  8. Senior Member
    Thank you for your thoughts and experiences with cloth. I'm looking into kissaluvs and thirties for newborn. Then pocket bun genius 4.0 and the flip cover and insert system at the moment.
    ~ Sara ~
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Kissaluvs and Thirsties covers are amazing on NB. That was what I used with my youngest. Kissaluvs are so soft and honestly adorable. Thirsties covers are great even as they get older.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts and experiences with cloth. I'm looking into kissaluvs and thirties for newborn. Then pocket bun genius 4.0 and the flip cover and insert system at the moment.
    If you're planning to do Kissas and covers, check out itsybitsybums.com. They have a newborn rental program with those and it is priced sooooo cheap renting. I highly recommend it. We did it with Emmett and are probably going to do it with this baby, again.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast