Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions... Worried First Time Mom

1. Senior Member

Confused Need Opinions... Worried First Time Mom

Advertisements
    I will try to keep this post as short as possible.

On Monday, April 27th, my 6mth old (she will be 7 months on May 18th), received around 3 vaccines including the Rotavirus vaccine. That night, she proceeded to vomit around 5 or 6 times. When we called the pediatrician on call they said she was probably reacting to the Rotavirus vaccine, not uncommon, and we need to give her some Pedialyte and watch her. Throughout the week she seemed to get better still throwing up every now and again, however, come Thursday night and Friday she was vomiting quite a bit again. Sunday night was the worst. I decided to stay home with her on Monday and take her to the doctor. DD is normally a very happy baby. Always laughing and playing with toys. With this, however, she was grumpy and fussy. Very sleepy and always wanted to be held. Throughout all of this DH was in Baltimore with the National Guard. Needless to say it was a tough week.

At the pediatrician they decided that she was allergic to Soy, since I had stopped BF about two weeks earlier and was only on Soy formula. She normally loves to eat baby food including, pears, apples, peaches, squash, bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. Last week, DD had a couple really good days, she was almost back to herself again. We did have some sleepless nights and days where she only wanted to sleep, not really eat, but for the most part she seemed better. Last Friday, the 7th, she started throwing up again, 3 or 4 times in about 5 minutes. We called the pediatrician on call again and were told that this could be normal. Some babies just throw up. We thought maybe it could be she ate too much at daycare that day. They had given her a bottle with oatmeal and her fruit which seems like a lot. She didn't eat the rest of that night.

Over this weekend, she slept a lot. Did eat a lot, maybe 3 oz bottles and some pears. Nothing big. Yesterday, when I picked her up from daycare I was told that she didn't seem to want to eat. She would lay down on the floor if she was put in front of toys. She wanted to be held and seems very lethargic. She was the same way at home. Only wanted to sleep. Didn't eat much at all. Maybe 3 oz from 1pm to 9pm. She slept through the night and didn't wake up hungry.

I called the doctor and have an appointment this afternoon. They probably think I am a crazy new mom. Actually, the woman who answered the phone really made it seem like I'm crazy and just not feeding my daughter enough. She told me to give her solid food, which I have, DD just chokes on them, and she told me "she won't choke, she will just gag and learn." Whatever, is it normal for a happy baby who likes to eat to just do a 180 and now only want to sleep, not play with toys or eat much?

I think it is possible that the hypoallerginic formula is not giving her enough substance to be awake. However, she was on it at around 3mths and was fine. Although I know 3mths and 7mths is a big change.

I guess I'm just looking for advice. I don't know what is going on. If I should just go with the flow? Or really seek tests at the doctor's office?
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    If you feel like there is something wrong then go with your gut because you know your child better than anyone else in the world.

I hope they figure out what's going on and you can get your DD back to normal soon!

3. Senior Member
    Trust your gut.... a mother's instinct is normally correct. I would make an appointment and bring all that info into the doctor with you. Wishing you the best of luck!!!
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by April Lynne View Post
    If you feel like there is something wrong then go with your gut because you know your child better than anyone else in the world.

I hope they figure out what's going on and you can get your DD back to normal soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kw1214 View Post
    Trust your gut.... a mother's instinct is normally correct. I would make an appointment and bring all that info into the doctor with you. Wishing you the best of luck!!!
    Thank you both! I just talked to daycare and they said she is doing better today and ate slowly but is eating. However, I am still going to take her to the doctor just to rule out any infections or anything.
  5. Senior Member
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. Senior Member
    You think that maybe she had a flu bug and is just now getting back to feeling okay? Maybe it was just a coincidence it was around the time of the vaccines? If she's acting lethargic, I would be alarmed. That's not good.
  7. Senior Member

Update:
    On Tuesday, my daycare provider, who never calls me at work, called and was really worried about DD. She was very lethargic and wouldn't eat anything. I ended up taking her directly to the pediatrician. They did a glucose test, a strep test, and weighed her. Glucose was normal, strep was negative. She had lost a pound in a week though. They had no idea what was going on and told me to take her to a peds ER. We were there for over 4 hours. They did all sorts of blood work and a urinalysis. Everything came back negative. The doctors decided that her soy allergy is more severe than previously thought. They told me that soy is pretty much in everything and I am going to have to work on changing her diet completely. We are now on a new formula and new soy free food. Ugh. DD seemed better yesterday and this morning. She is still a bit tired, but the doctor at the ER said that her esophagus and stomach lining are still a bit swollen from the allergic reaction and the sleepiness is probably her way of trying to feel better. She hasn't vomited since I started her on the new formula and food.

Hopefully we are on the mend.
  8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    Update:
    On Tuesday, my daycare provider, who never calls me at work, called and was really worried about DD. She was very lethargic and wouldn't eat anything. I ended up taking her directly to the pediatrician. They did a glucose test, a strep test, and weighed her. Glucose was normal, strep was negative. She had lost a pound in a week though. They had no idea what was going on and told me to take her to a peds ER. We were there for over 4 hours. They did all sorts of blood work and a urinalysis. Everything came back negative. The doctors decided that her soy allergy is more severe than previously thought. They told me that soy is pretty much in everything and I am going to have to work on changing her diet completely. We are now on a new formula and new soy free food. Ugh. DD seemed better yesterday and this morning. She is still a bit tired, but the doctor at the ER said that her esophagus and stomach lining are still a bit swollen from the allergic reaction and the sleepiness is probably her way of trying to feel better. She hasn't vomited since I started her on the new formula and food.

Hopefully we are on the mend.
    How scary! I hope she is better soon.

9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    How scary! I hope she is better soon.
    Thanks you. So far she seems to be getting better slowly now that she is officially soy free. I didn't realize that soy is in almost everything.
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I'm glad she is doing better! Have they done a specific allergy test for it or was it a process of elimination thing? If she didn't specifically test positive for a soy allergy, I would recommend getting a referral to an allergist and getting her tested to make sure that's what it is. Soy is a tough allergen to eliminate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast