Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Soy and Dairy Allergy -- Formula

1. Senior Member

Confused Soy and Dairy Allergy -- Formula

Advertisements
    Until my DD was 3 months I exclusively BF. At 3 months I went back to work and needed to supplement with soy formula. I am allergic to dairy and do not want to try any dairy with DD until later this year just in case. However, at 6 months I made the tough decision to stop BF due to work . She spent two weeks on only soy formula and last Sunday had a severe allergic reaction to the soy. Now, she is on a hypoallergenic formula that is not cheap. I do not want to sacrifice her health for a "cheap" formula, however, I was wondering if anyone knew of other hypoallergenic formulas?

She is on Enfamil Nutraigen.

TIA!
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

The only other one I had ever heard of was the Similac Alimentum formula but I think that one was a little more costly than Enfamil. When I worked at a daycare way back in the day, there was some Puramino formula one parent had their baby on because they had a severe dairy allergy but I think that was pretty costly too.

I'm sorry she's had such a severe reaction to the soy, that has to be tough

3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    The only other one I had ever heard of was the Similac Alimentum formula but I think that one was a little more costly than Enfamil. When I worked at a daycare way back in the day, there was some Puramino formula one parent had their baby on because they had a severe dairy allergy but I think that was pretty costly too.

I'm sorry she's had such a severe reaction to the soy, that has to be tough
    Thank you for the info. The allergic reaction was scary. She was everywhere and everything she was eating and on Sunday night she began to get a rash and swell.
  4. Senior Member
    Could you look into any Donor Breastmilk?

When my sister in law was breastfeeding she always had SO much when she pumped, she would donate a stash every 3 months to local Breast Milk Bank. I'm not sure if they may have one where you are. Some areas are more 'crunchy' than others. You could request dairy-free if you did have one locally.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Other options are Elecare or Neocate both of which are pretty pricey and Tricare doesn't like to cover. Another option is Alimentum Ready to Feed. None of those really worked for Levi so I had to do an elimination diet aND have been dairy and soy free since December 2013

Look up MSPI and reflux on facebook, it's a group with a lot of mommas in the same boat
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Could you look into any Donor Breastmilk?

When my sister in law was breastfeeding she always had SO much when she pumped, she would donate a stash every 3 months to local Breast Milk Bank. I'm not sure if they may have one where you are. Some areas are more 'crunchy' than others. You could request dairy-free if you did have one locally.
    I could. However, I just do not feel comfortable with that. Not sure why. I guess because I was able to BF and decided to stop. I already feel horrible about that and would feel worse if I gave her Breastmilk from someone else. I hope that doesn't sound horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky. View Post
    Other options are Elecare or Neocate both of which are pretty pricey and Tricare doesn't like to cover. Another option is Alimentum Ready to Feed. None of those really worked for Levi so I had to do an elimination diet aND have been dairy and soy free since December 2013

Look up MSPI and reflux on facebook, it's a group with a lot of mommas in the same boat
    I will look up that group. Thank you. Tonight she had another episode. Vomited 4 times in about 5 minutes. She hasn't had soy in over a week. Maybe gluten? She has oatmeal everyday. I'm at my wits end. I'm not sure what to do anymore. I just want her to feel better.
  7. Stephanie
    Stephanie

My son is on elecare because of a dairy and soy allergy and tricare covers it 100% and even delivers it to my house. Please message me if you would like more info. Since he is allergic to milk and soy his GI doctor wrote him the prescription for elecare and they've delivered it for the last 5 months.