Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Postpartum essentials/Advice?

1. Senior Member

Postpartum essentials/Advice?

Advertisements
    So, I'm 11 days away from my due date. Hospital bags are packed, and car seat is installed. Nursery is 90% complete. I currently have 8 freezer meals made/stocked, my mom will be here for the first two weeks, and my MIL will be here for almost 3 weeks after that. I'm feeling ok with where I'm at, even though it's driving me crazy that I haven't finished the crib skirt and gotten as ahead as I want to be with my school work.

I've been reading a lot about postpartum recovery/healing, so I don't think I'm clueless, but I also think I haven't prepared as much for AFTER the baby as I have for pregnancy/birth. I bought some depends the other day (super depressing!), and I have the mother love healing spray. I also have the Mother Love nipple balm, as I plan on breastfeeding. I'll be a SAHM for the foreseeable future, so I haven't stocked up on nursing camis or nursing bras yet, because I'm already a rather well-endowed girl, and I want to see how my boobs change and settle before investing in nursing bras. Other than some type of belly bandit/binder, what else should I get for myself postpartum to help with recovery? I've read about sitz baths, which I plan on doing, but some people say you get all that stuff at the hospital and others suggest going to buy it. Are there any other things you wish you had immediately when you came home (or even at the hospital?).
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Make sure you have lots of healthy snacks and bottled water within reaching distance from where ever you see yourself nursing (like bed and your favorite chair). The first month of nursing makes me RAVENOUS and it always hits me when I'm sitting there nursing thinking of nothing but feeding the baby and how hungry I am Also, do you have nursing pads, yet? If not , you're gonna want/need some for the leaking. I love the reusable ones, specifically Bamboobies brand and Nuk brand, I don't have any experience with the disposables.
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

de nursing pads... um.. pads for PP bleeding and some crappy underwear you don't care about just incase Um.. heating pad or rice packs/pads helped me out with PP cramping . Especially the rie ones bc i had them with me at the hospital and DH would heat them up when it was time to feed Ansley and it was really nice. Umm...really, that's all i can think of. I bought a lot of the stuff like Tucks and numbing spray but i didnt need it with any of my kids :\ However, it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it IMO.

Also ask for an ice pack as soon as you give birth and use it for like the first 24hrs I did that and it helped SO much with any swelling i may have had.

That's all i can think of
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Make sure you have lots of healthy snacks and bottled water within reaching distance from where ever you see yourself nursing (like bed and your favorite chair). The first month of nursing makes me RAVENOUS and it always hits me when I'm sitting there nursing thinking of nothing but feeding the baby and how hungry I am Also, do you have nursing pads, yet? If not , you're gonna want/need some for the leaking. I love the reusable ones, specifically Bamboobies brand and Nuk brand, I don't have any experience with the disposables.
    Ohhh, good call. I need to stock up on snacks that are easy and storable. I always have things like snap peas and hummus, and apples and peanut butter, but having some granola bars stashed where I plan to nurse is a good idea.

I did buy some reusable nursing pads, and I have a few disposables that a friend gave me that she doesn't need anymore. I am hoping I like the reusables, but people either love them or hate them, so I figured having a few (free) disposables on hand couldn't hurt.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    de nursing pads... um.. pads for PP bleeding and some crappy underwear you don't care about just incase Um.. heating pad or rice packs/pads helped me out with PP cramping . Especially the rie ones bc i had them with me at the hospital and DH would heat them up when it was time to feed Ansley and it was really nice. Umm...really, that's all i can think of. I bought a lot of the stuff like Tucks and numbing spray but i didnt need it with any of my kids :\ However, it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it IMO.

Also ask for an ice pack as soon as you give birth and use it for like the first 24hrs I did that and it helped SO much with any swelling i may have had.

That's all i can think of

Ok, awesome. I bought depends so I wouldn't get my underwear all gross, but I may go pick up a packet of cheap target black underwear for after the first week or two when things taper off a bit but I'm still bleeding. I'll definitely remember the tip about the ice pack--both my mom and DH will be there, and I'm going to tell both of them so that they remind me, haha.
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Lots and lots of motrin or ibuprofen. That is breastfeeding safe and if you're still really sore it can help! I agree with snacks and water too! Stock up on that. And super absorbent pads/panty liners. I would get some nursing tanks too, I know you were worried about nursing bra sizes but the tanks are usually stretchy and you could get a few of those!

Also, totally TMI, but a stool softener may help work wonders too. One of the things they don't tell you is that first poo after baby can SUCK some major cahones. They will usually give it to you in the hospital during your stay but it never hurts to have extra.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh, and JUST IN CASE of a section, buy some underwear that will go up and over where the incision would be. Like granny panties of all granny panties with no seam down the middle. With Wyatt, I was not expecting a section and had to have DH run out and get some underwear for me because all of mine is lower riding.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Lots and lots of motrin or ibuprofen. That is breastfeeding safe and if you're still really sore it can help! I agree with snacks and water too! Stock up on that. And super absorbent pads/panty liners. I would get some nursing tanks too, I know you were worried about nursing bra sizes but the tanks are usually stretchy and you could get a few of those!

Also, totally TMI, but a stool softener may help work wonders too. One of the things they don't tell you is that first poo after baby can SUCK some major cahones. They will usually give it to you in the hospital during your stay but it never hurts to have extra.
    Yeah i forgot about that. I took Colace for a few months after having A just to help keep things good

Also on the poop topic, also be prepared to be the opposite of constipated All of the fluids I got just .. yeah.. opposite of constipation So yeah
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post

Ah yes, I'd heard about the stool softener. I'll make sure I pick some up when I'm out and about this weekend. I think I'll go to Target and pick a sympathetic looking cashier to check me out with my awesome granny panties, Colace, depends and giant pads, etc. I never felt less sexy than when I put the Depends in my cart last week...

What are your favorite nursing tanks? I don't want to spend a fortune, and since I'll be staying home, I figure a few nursing tanks and a few nursing bras should get me by pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    Oh, and JUST IN CASE of a section, buy some underwear that will go up and over where the incision would be. Like granny panties of all granny panties with no seam down the middle. With Wyatt, I was not expecting a section and had to have DH run out and get some underwear for me because all of mine is lower riding.
    I will buy a pack this weekend, just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    Yeah i forgot about that. I took Colace for a few months after having A just to help keep things good

Also on the poop topic, also be prepared to be the opposite of constipated All of the fluids I got just .. yeah.. opposite of constipation So yeah
    TMI, but since we're talking about poop... everything says I *should* be constipated now, because my poor bowels are being smooshed, but I'm actually going pretty regularly, what the heck is up with that? I have convinced myself it's a rarely talked about sign of impending labor, haha.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I found breast pain worse than my lady bit pain. DH ran out and got me Amazon.com : Lansinoh TheraPearl 3-in-1 Breast Therapy, 1 Count : Nursing Bra Pads : Baby during some serious engorgement/nipple pain which helped.

I would also recommend trying to work through the pain with the nipple cream rather than turning to a nipple shield. 6 weeks later I still can't get Ava to ween off of it and back onto the nipple. It works well for us since I needed it at the time and just have to be at peace with why I started and just keep working on weaning.

Ice packs for my lady bits was nice. I never had enough time to do the sitz bath, but did use the peri bottle. I didn't find healing too bad nor was bleeding that much.

I was super thirsty the first two weeks and downed gatoraid at least once a day. I went home right after giving birth so got a real meal a few hours after giving birth, it was lovely.

Do you have a boppy? I thought they were a bit silly since pillows work too but broke down and got one and it just makes things simpler for us when feeding.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast