Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Infant hearing test?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Infant hearing test?

Advertisements
    Anyone know about them? Since Ava was born in a birth center she needed a hearing test. Parenting fail in that I didn't ask too many questions about it since everyone kept saying it wasn't a big deal, super easy to have done, blah blah blah.

Now since the referral took forever she will be two months old and the test will take two hours and she can't be fed and they want her to be sleeping. Um...screw that nonsense. I am generally ticked that no one said after 30 days this simple test is two hours long. Is it really that important if I haven't noticed issues?
  2. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Do all birth centers have that requirement? Landon has never needed a hearing test because he passed, but he was born in a hugely popular hospital.

Anyways, I would still get the test done. Even if you haven't noticed anything. I'd be ticked too if I found out it was going to be that long, that's pretty ridiculous! But, they're trained and they know exactly what to look for in case Ava happens to have a hearing issue. Just my two cents Good luck!!
  3. Senior Member
    From my understanding early intervention with hearing disorders is super important in avoiding developmental delays & irreversible impairments since otherwise it's common to first get a diagnosis at toddler age when the learning curve for language and stuff has already begun to steeply decline. So if it's just a few hours out of your day I'd do it, personally. Even if she's low risk and the percent of low risks babies with hearing loss is super small (2-ish %). BUT if they want to give her something to help her sleep I would want to have a VERY serious discussion with her doctor about her personal risks & the risks of sedation. But a few hours out of my day to have a noninvasive test done that could prevent permanent problems down the line? I'd do it.
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I never knew that. Kaia failed her first hearing test and scared us all. Hearing and eyesight I wouldn't mess around with if it can be caught early.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We are going to do it, but I think it is just going to suck. I got the instruction paperwork in the mail and it is just ug, a hungry, tired infant. I just don't think it is going to be such a simple task of come hungry without letting her sleep so she falls asleep when you feed her.
  6. Regular Member
    There are different types of screenings that are done based on the equipment the facility has and the age of the child. It sounds like you received instructions for an ABR test/screening. I am not sure how old your little one is but many young babies sleep through the entire test. An OAE screening takes minutes and can be completed in the doctor or audiologist's office. The rationale and type of test offered varies from place to place. Most states mandate newborn hearing screening because of the reasons Andi mentioned above. If they suggest sedation and you have no concerns or risk factors, you can certainly find a facility that can do an OAE screening. Let me know if you have any questions. I am a pediatric audiologist and have been working with children and families for 15+ years.