Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifiers

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Pacifiers

Advertisements
    Tell me about your Pacifier experiences. When did you start using them? When/how did you stop? If you didn't use them how did you adjust for comfort feeding?

Due to getting an emotional kick to the gut, sore nipples, and my milk coming in all in the same day I ended up turning to a nipple shield to make it through. Now I think Ava is using me/the shield as a pacifier and coincidentally is eating too much when she is upset and then spits up. My pediatrician feels using a pacifier actually supports breast feeding for the first year because it avoids burn out. My midwife wants her off the shield asap to avoid production or blockage issue and I worry the taste of pacifier will only make the transition harder. I would rather avoid them, but am willing to shelve that if it means a happier baby. DH wants to use one. Ava has rejected all three of the ones we had bought as options before she was born since he is into them. Just not sure what to do.
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    My son used a nipple shield and pacifier from day one. Around 5 weeks (and after his tongue tie procedure healed) he stopped needing the shield. He self weaned at 14 months! He's now going on 17 months and still takes a pacifier at night.

I've heard both sides so I really think it comes down to the kids personality and preferences. Yep, even itty bitty babies have them! Some babies don't seem to tolerate switching between pacifiers, bottles and boob while other babies can transition seamlessly.

Nursing is established so I would go ahead and throw a pacifier in the mix

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We bottle fed but all my kiddos had pacifiers. We've used avent and soothie pacis. For ds I had to try like 15 different pacifiers it really helped my kiddos sleep though!
  4. Senior Member
    Wubanub for the win! He only gets it on long car trips and in the crib at night. They're awesome.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Wubanub for the win! He only gets it on long car trips and in the crib at night. They're awesome.
    Only ydd used wubanubs but man I wish the others had! She was so quick to be able to get that sucker into her own mouths and barely lost it in her crib because it was so easy to find!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We didn't use pacifiers with either kid. Comfort nursing (using you like a pacifier) is natural and part of breastfeeding. She's not going to over eat. Comfort nursing helps support a healthy breastfeeding supply and relationship. I'm not sure how old she is but I know she's got to be very new still but you should be offering her the breast whenever she wants because that helps build your supply and teach her how to nurse
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I nursed and breastfed. I started giving him a pacifier within the first month, can't remember when exactly, but I know it was early. Never had an issues breastfeeding, but he still used me as a pacifier too.

Pacifiers were a life saver for me on car trips

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We did pacifiers and nurse. They were a lifesaver at times.

With that said, if a child has a natural need to suck, I would rather see a paci than a thumb any day. You can't take away a thumb and some children are going to use it no matter what.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  9. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

DS used a pacifier from day one. I didn't nurse and never did due to health issues. I never had to wean him of them though because he found his thumb, and no longer likes pacifiers.
    With that being said, it took us awhile to find the right pacifier. After a lot of trial and error, we found that DS preferred soothies over everything else. Every baby is different though, so don't stress if you can't find the right one right away!
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    This girl will not take any of them. I've tried practically all of them, and was hoping she'd take to the Wubbanub. She used the MAM once, and GumDrop once. That's it.

I never introduced a pacifier to my first two, and Henry only took it for a little while after the first few weeks.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast