Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Supplementing :(

  1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,893
    #1

    Sad Supplementing :(

    Advertisements
    How do I know how much is enough vs too much? I've read EVERYTHING on the internet about this, and I still don't really have a good answer.

    I have pretty much no experience with this because with DS I went from 100% BF/pumping to 100% formula. DD is not getting enough to eat with nursing alone, so we've started doing a little supplementing with formula. She is not having weight loss or a slow-down in wet diapers or anything, but she is sometimes still hungry after nursing. I am not willing to pump (selfish reasons, I know) because it was just WAY too much stress with DS. PPD is a real issue for me, and I just can't add another thing to worry about right now. DD has been getting between 4-6 oz of formula a day, and only after I've attempted to feed her on each breast. It is such a fine line though because while I want to make sure she eats enough, I also want to make sure to nurse her enough to keep my supply up. I've been seriously chugging water, not drinking alcohol -well I had wine with dinner Sunday but it was a special occasion, and trying to eat well.

    This is difficult. She has her two month check-up on Friday and I will discuss this with her doctor then.


  2. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    What makes you think she isn't getting enough? She might seem hungry after wards because she's cluster feeding and getting ready to help up your supply. If she isn't losing weight or less diapers then just keep nursing. Don't do formula unless you want to quit BF.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealsonheels/
    Join this group We have an IBCLC on there, handful of CLC's, and a few other trained LC to help you figure out what can work for you and help you put your mind at ease.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,893
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    What makes you think she isn't getting enough? She might seem hungry after wards because she's cluster feeding and getting ready to help up your supply. If she isn't losing weight or less diapers then just keep nursing. Don't do formula unless you want to quit BF.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mealsonheels/
    Join this group We have an IBCLC on there, handful of CLC's, and a few other trained LC to help you figure out what can work for you and help you put your mind at ease.
    Thank you. I'm joining it now. I would love having some people to talk to about it. I absolutely HATE the LC at the hospital here, so I am 100% against going to see her.

    The reason I am pretty sure she isn't getting enough is because she is a happy baby 99% of the time and literally only cries when she is hungry and not being fed. She will get done nursing and be content all morning/afternoon. Sometimes in the evenings she will get done nursing and start crying again. I will wait several minutes to make sure that she can feel that she's full and if she is still crying then offer her a bottle. I don't know if it is a supply issue or something else, but it's been going on for about two weeks.


  4. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Thank you. I'm joining it now. I would love having some people to talk to about it. I absolutely HATE the LC at the hospital here, so I am 100% against going to see her.

    The reason I am pretty sure she isn't getting enough is because she is a happy baby 99% of the time and literally only cries when she is hungry and not being fed. She will get done nursing and be content all morning/afternoon. Sometimes in the evenings she will get done nursing and start crying again. I will wait several minutes to make sure that she can feel that she's full and if she is still crying then offer her a bottle. I don't know if it is a supply issue or something else, but it's been going on for about two weeks.
    I understand that! not every LC should be one. Most of the LC on this page have been personal friends. I added you (still an admin on it )
    It sounds like she wants to cluster feed whitch is normal and should actually be encouraged because its her way of ramping up your supply. If you can try and nurse her again for a day or two. Just do as much nursing as you can with no formula. Its very normal for babies to want to eat more in the evening to try and up your supply for the next day/next meal. Babies are "ordering" there next meal while they nurse that current meal.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  5. Senior Member
    Kittycat's Avatar
    Kittycat is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,125
    #5
    Mac is giving great advice! I am an IBCLC and it sounds like a growth spurt as she explains. Yes for a few days it feels like you have no milk but if you just keep putting her to the breast your body will get the hint to make more, if you do formula then your body might not get the signals and its a slippery slope into real supply issues and needing more formula.

    That being said, I don't want to make it sound like formula is evil. But if you want to 100% feed then putting her to the breast as much as possible is the way to go. I feel you though, my daughter ate every hour for about 24 hours at about 6 weeks.... it was awful! But the next day she was eating as usual

    HUGS
  6. Senior Member
    Glamorous's Avatar
    Glamorous is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Silverdale, Washington
    Posts
    4,065
    #6
    I would just keep her on the breast...even if she's already nursed. Sounds like typical growth spurt cluster feeding, which is completely normal. I remember my first daughter would practically nurse from 6pm - 11pm when she went to bed. It only lasted a week or two.
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,893
    #7
    We are taking a "nursing vacation" and doing nothing else for a little while. I told my job I'd work three nights for them this coming week, but other than that we're going to be 100% BF-ing.
    Thanks for the advice!


  8. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,419
    Blog Entries
    1
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    We are taking a "nursing vacation" and doing nothing else for a little while. I told my job I'd work three nights for them this coming week, but other than that we're going to be 100% BF-ing.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I'm glad you are trying and happy with it! A little nurscation can be super helpful in the first couple months with keeping your supply up with all the growth spurts.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •