Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can't get anything done!

1. Senior Member

Can't get anything done!

Advertisements
    Ok, I need some advice

Olive is 5 months old now (today actually!) and has gotten ridiculous lately. I have little seats for her all over the house and while I'm doing chores I move her from room to room so she can be a part of what I'm doing. Recently, however, she has gotten to the point where if I sit her down and leave the room for a second the lip comes out and she starts crying. If I turn around or when I return to the room she stops crying and laughs/giggles/babbles at me.

Are these tactics of hers normal and what should I do when I sit her down and she starts crying? Ignore her? Pick her up? She usually won't respond at all if I say her name or try to talk to her to get her to calm down. SOMETIMES if I sit in front of her for a few mins and play with her she'll be alright. I don't think she's feeling ignored, I mean I'm with her all day and we play a lot.

Today she won't even let me sit her down without going into hysterics. I gave her a cold teething ring and that calmed her down for a little bit, but once she got bored with it she went back to crying until I picked her up.

I also think her grumpiness today MIGHT be teething, she's been chewing on my fingers recently (and everything she can get her hands on) and she's biting down pretty hard.
  2. Moderator

It's really common for babies, once they hit the age for separation anxiety. She knows your presence now, but doesn't realize where you go when you aren't right there in front of her.

It will pass.
  3. Senior Member
    This is totally a parent to parent decision as to what to do in these types of situations.

I can tell you what I did, though! DS is 13 months now, but when he was that age he mainly cried out of boredom. He hated his 'seats' (Bumbo, swing, etc) and really wanted to be able to explore. His favorite thing to sit in was his jumper, but even that last ten minutes tops.

Do you regularly rotate her toys? That seemed to do the trick with him. When he started fussing I would switch to something else whether it be a latch board for him to open and close, a musical toy, even just a basket with different sized balls in it for him to take out and put back in.

I think what finally helped was that he learned to sit on his own at 5 months. That made a world of difference because of the added independence of being able to lean towards things and choose what he played with.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    It's really common for babies, once they hit the age for separation anxiety. She knows your presence now, but doesn't realize where you go when you aren't right there in front of her.

It will pass.
    Awesome news! Thank you!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    This is totally a parent to parent decision as to what to do in these types of situations.

I can tell you what I did, though! DS is 13 months now, but when he was that age he mainly cried out of boredom. He hated his 'seats' (Bumbo, swing, etc) and really wanted to be able to explore. His favorite thing to sit in was his jumper, but even that last ten minutes tops.

Do you regularly rotate her toys? That seemed to do the trick with him. When he started fussing I would switch to something else whether it be a latch board for him to open and close, a musical toy, even just a basket with different sized balls in it for him to take out and put back in.

I think what finally helped was that he learned to sit on his own at 5 months. That made a world of difference because of the added independence of being able to lean towards things and choose what he played with.
    I feel like that is Olive's problem. She absolutely loves exploring and seeing new things, she's so curious, and I want to carry her with me while I do things, I just can't do anything with one hand lol And I've tried a carrier facing me, and facing out, but she doesn't like the restraint so thats a no-go.

I do rotate her toys, but we need to get more interesting toys suited for her age I think.

OMG its going to be SO nice when she can sit on her own! I can see that solving a TON of the problems we're having now because she has such an independent spirit, but she's not able to do anything really so its frustrating for her
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah it gets better when they can sit and scooch on their own for sure! I'm a mean mama and will sometimes let the baby cry 10-15 minutes if I really have to get something done or if I neeeeed a shower! hang in there mama!