Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Mastitis?

1. Senior Member

Mastitis?

Advertisements
    Has anyone dealt with this? Last night I thought I was coming down with something, I had chills, intense body aches, the works. I never took my temperature because I couldn't find a damn thermometer that hadn't been in someone's butt this morning I noticed a hard red lump in my left breast. I also found an adult thermometer. I called the advice nurse and she said that as long as I'm not running a high fever I could wait to go in tomorrow rather than dealing with the ER. The highest it's been was 100.1 but I had just gotten out of the shower. It's been between 98.6 and 99.7 so I'm going to wait it out assuming nothing changes.

Any home remedies? Massage in the shower didn't help much. She's nursing well on that side still but pumping is out of the question painful. I'm about to make a rice sock because I can't find my hot water bottle I swear if it's not one thing since I had her it's another. And always on the weekend.
  2. Senior Member
    My friend is going through this right now. They told her she has to pump everything that will come out no matter how painful it is. I'm sorry you're going through it, it sounds awful!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Ive never had it, but LLLI says to nurse frequently, use heat on the areas that hurt, as well as massage the knots.

If you soak your breast in warm water for 10 minutes, 3 times a day and have baby nurse right after the soak it will help break up clogs in your ducts.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    you need antibiotics, so the quicker you go to the ER to get them, the quicker you will feel better. Its better to get to the ER now then wait
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    I would also ice it in between feedings or put some greek yogurt on your boob to cool it. And rest, rest, rest!
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies, I've spent the day in bed with heat, my pump, and an always hungry growth spurt baby. Still no relief but my fever has stayed low. I will definitely go in tomorrow for antibiotics but if I can avoid sitting in the ER for hours with my 3 week old baby I will.
  7. Senior Member
    Yeah you are doing good things, heat before feeding to loosen up the milk and cold compress after to help with inflammation. Pain meds (ibuprofen- to reduce swelling AND tylenol - to reduce fever) And get those abx tomorrow latest!
  8. Senior Member
    I didn't quite have mastitis, I just had the beginnings of a clogged duct. I showered and massaged it and emptied it the best I could and the pain/fever/chills/all that jazz went away fairly quickly. The massaging and pumping hurt like hell, but I felt like crap and was willing to do anything to get back to normal. Make sure when you're pumping and feeding your baby that you're massaging the lumpy area to make sure all the milk gets out.