Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Must-have baby items?

1. Senior Member

Must-have baby items?

Advertisements
    I debated about whether to put this thread in the pregnancy sub-forum or this one. Basically, I want to know what your must have baby items are. I'm starting to build a registry, because my birthday is coming up, and my parents, in typical "OMG-first-grandchild" fashion are going overboard and buying me gifts and also wanting to purchase baby gear.

Obviously, my baby isn't here yet, but I'm hoping to get advice from some mommas about what you felt were your favorite products, big or small. I know it's inevitable, but I'm hoping to buy a few high quality items that last through multiple children and serve multiple purposes vs. having a household overflowing with baby stuff. For instance, we'll probably skip the full size high chair and buy one of those clip ons or a booster with tray or something. We are planning to cloth diaper from the get-go, and I plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible, though I'm hoping I can pump sometimes so DH can feed the baby too. I'm lucky in that I don't have to return to work any time in the immediate future, if that helps make recommendations possible.

Thanks for all the help
  2. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I've generally gone the minimalist route. I don't do nurseries or baby furniture. Your parenting style also plays a factor as well.

My list:

Car seat
    Tula or Mei Tai carrier (I used a couple Ergo carriers with my other kids and really loved my Mei Tai)
    Boba wrap (I used Moby previously, but all the wrapping gets tiring after a while)
    Breast pump (covered by insurance) and a few bottles (I'll be trying Adiri NxGen Nurser)
    Cloth diaper stash and accessories
    Laninsoh
    Swing/bouncer
    Rear facing mirror
    Baby tub/bath
    Clothes
    Burp rags
    Organizer for baby clothes and diapers
    Baby toiletries
    Boppy or similar pillow
    Swaddling blanket(s)
    Play yard/mat
    Bath towel set

I'm also considering a glider for the living room. They're very comfy.
    Pax, Aeon
  3. Member
    Invest in a good stroller from the get go, I can't tell you how many of my friends ended up with like 3 different strollers over the course of baby's first year or so!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Swaddle blankets such as the miracle blanket or the Velcro ones, I sucked at swaddled but my babies loved it so these were a must!
    A good carrier, my ergo is on baby #3 and still going strong
    A car seat you won't hate, look for an ergonomic handle I'd say!
    Loved my rock n play bassinet, it's so portable around the house and I loved bringing it to the park in the summer.
    About a dozen zip up footsie pjs from gerber, the cheap ones that come in like 3 packs. Those are my absolute favorite jammies!
    A fleece zip up bunting outfit for a winter baby, old navy makes a good one Micro Performance Fleece Hooded One-Pieces for Baby | Old Navy warm and toasty but easy to get on and off.

That about sums up my list things you need.
  5. Senior Member

Swaddles
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

ROCK N PLAY. OMG I would be such a tired mom without them.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinderella View Post
    ROCK N PLAY. OMG I would be such a tired mom without them.
    Ok so this will show how green and paranoid I am, but Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive except for the negative ones. Those ones have me convinced that my baby's head will be deformed if I buy one. I was hoping to get away with a rock n play as a bassinet at night but maybe that's a bad idea? And just get one for during the day? I'm so confused.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Ok so this will show how green and paranoid I am, but Amazon reviews are overwhelmingly positive except for the negative ones. Those ones have me convinced that my baby's head will be deformed if I buy one. I was hoping to get away with a rock n play as a bassinet at night but maybe that's a bad idea? And just get one for during the day? I'm so confused.
    The RNP was a life saver for us… If you keep your baby in the RNP all day then you will get head shape problems. But tummy time will help against that also. My girls have been sleeping in their RNP since we brought them home from the NICU. They truly are amazing.

9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I would start by getting with some mommy friends and trying stuff out. Decide if you are a wrap/ring sling/ergo style babywearing mama before you invest. Also with cloth you will want to buy different styles and types. There is a sticky of the different types in one of these forums. You may have your heart set on 1 style, but discover another works better for you/baby/sitter. So dont invest a lot in one brand or type at first. I used the 4/$1 baby washcloths for wipes so need for wipes if you want to keep the theme going. Receiving blankets can be used from everything burp rags to diapers (very absorbant and cheap) aside from the blanket part. For blankets Adin and Adonis Swaddlers are super comfy. We only used a crib really for the last 2 and it was pulled beside my bed for co sleeping. I guess the term is now called Side carring. So a crib is a personal preference. #2 slept in a pack and play from birth until toddler bed. Of course you must have a car seat. We dont do baby buckets. We go straight for a sturdy convertible. Strollers are something you will want to invest wisely in. Dont go for a pattern, go for function and features. They dont need special towels or washcloths. A bath tub is optional as well. I bathed mine with me or in the sink. I found the long gowns to be the best at night when there is night diaper changes happening. The cheap 3 pack of sleepers are comfy for baby to lounge in and you wont cry if they get stained. I prefered Bumkin brand bibs as they were bullet proof. They also at the time matched some of the diapers I had. If you plan on making your own food then a food processor would be a good investment.
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I should be receiving my Rock 'n Play soon.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast