Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast feeding is hard - help?

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Breast feeding is hard - help?

Advertisements
    I never planned to breast feed...I was gonna go straight to formula. But them my sister gave me her old pump and I thought maybe I would exclusively pump. But that makes a lot of dishes so I've been mostly breastfeeding and pumping on occasion. I was exclusively pumping the right side for a while because James wouldn't latch there but one day he decided he likes my right boob too so that's pretty much solved. He only refuses to latch on that side at night now, but he will eat off it all day and he latches on the left any time.

I'm only like 18 or 19 days post partum. But my milk came in around 5 days post partum and from then til maybe 4 or 5 days ago I had an oversupply. Like, I was feeding James and then putting 5-7 oz of pumped milk in the freezer. Then suddenly it dropped and I had no extra and could even feed James enough...I would struggle to nurse for an hour or so then give him a bottle of thawed milk from the freezer almost every feeding. With oatmeal, Gatorade, and mothers milk tea and my in laws leaving so I'm not so stressed about nursing, I'm back to being able to mostly feed him enough. Im nursing him all the time and pumping what i can when he has a bottle of expressed milk to keep up demand Maybe one feeding a day I have to pull from my freezer stash now, but thats better than every other feeding! Mostly it's going way better.

I recently got fenugreek to start taking to try and build back up so I'm not pulling from the freezer anymore as it is now nearly empty. Is there anything else I could do to try and help me get back to producing enough? And the constant nursing is like...killing my nips. They are super sore. I have lanolin but aside from the and letting my boobs be free as much as possible, what can I do about the ouchies? Nursing itself isn't painful aside from when he first latches, but my nips hurt really bad when I'm just sitting around, not nursing. And when he does first latch it feels like he's ripping my nipple clear off So, advice/expertise? Thank you ladies!

2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I know for some women it can take up to a month before the discomfort lessens, but that being said, from what you just described, I'd just keep a look out in his mouth for any white patches (under his tongue, on his cheek, back of his tongue, etc).

Your supply sounds pretty normal, usually it evens out to produce however much you're nursing, so in order to get more than just what you get from the nursing session, you'll have to regularly pump at an extra allotted time for at least a few days (probably closer to a week with pumping though) before it'll start to increase. For me, I found it easier to pump on the side DS wasn't nursing on because when he'd begin nursing, both my breasts would have a let down and I'd get quite a bit more out of my other boob pumping that way.

You're doing great momma

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Hokay, so my nipples were both cracked and bleeding so badly that Aubs' spit-up was pink instead of white. Gross, I know.

What helped me was two things-- drying my boobs out and changing my nursing position.
    I had been using cloth nursing pads (which left my nipples damp, no matter how often I changed them) and putting on nipple cream. Around 3 weeks PP, I started using disposable nursing pads and only putting on a bit of nipple cream once a day or so, then patting my nipple before putting it back in my bra (taking off excess cream). Letting it dry allowed it to heal.

Then also, I changed from football, cross-cradle, cradle, etc. holds to the "down under" hold. It was SO much more comfortable that I literally never nursed in the other three positions again until she was like over a year old lol.

Those two things changed my nursing LIFE, man. Seriously. Took my pain from literally putting me in tears every nursing session to virtually nonexistant (then when my nipples finished healing a week or so later, I had no pain whatsoever).

For supply, I recommend lactation cookies, staying super hydrated, and continuing to nurse on demand. These boosted my supply like crazy: peaceful parenting: Lactation Cookies: Increasing Milk Supply (the first recipe with sugar and butter and stuff, not the hippie one below it).
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Oh, and another thing if you're looking for something to soothe your nipples, cooling gel pads are amazing (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lansinoh-S...count/14018506). They were a lifesaver for me on many occasions

5. Moderator

His age is one of the first growth spurts. My kids nursed all the time at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. I remember serious frustration around the three month mark. I could never pump anything, so I was worried about "running out". My lactation consultant was a life saver and just encouraged me to keep at it.

It takes about 6 weeks to get used to all the discomfort and pain. Different holds will make a world of difference.
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

You're not going to be able to exclusively pump. What kind of pump is it? A hospital grade electric pump will get a decent amount of milk but chances are with your run of the mill affordable on the market pumps? those are for the breastfeeding mom that needs to pump occasionally. A pump is no where NEAR as efficient at getting milk as a baby is.

The sore nips...I hate to say this and I'm so sorry but suck it up pork chop, this is one of the shitty parts of breastfeeding that NO ONE TELLS YOU ABOUT. It fucking sucks and it's miserable and I want to give you a giant hug (from behind) because it fucking HURTS. It's temporary though. That lanolin stuff never soothed mine. I got from walmart you know those eye mask things you can put in the freezer and lay over your eyes and they reduce puffy circles or some shit? Those. I got two of em, froze em and stuck em on my boobs. Bonus was making the extra eye hole "talk" to my husband while laying there in pain topless. He walks in the room, grab it and make it say "YOU DID THIS TO ME GET ME ICE CREAM RIGHT NOW!" I swear to baby fucking jesus that works.

Your nipples will get used to it. Think about playing a guitar, your fingertips aren't used to being rubbed like that all the time so they're gonna be sore and have to build up callouses and stuff. Boobs are the same way. they don't get manhandled much then they get attacked. They aren't gonna get callouses but they do need to get broken in and it sucks so damn bad.

Fenugreek with blessed thistle and eat some oatmeal cookies (use the boobsicle to talk to the dh to make him bake you fresh ones) you will smell like muthafuggin wafflehouse but it will help production. drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water. Seriously, best thing for you is hydrate.
  7. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

The only reason I say production has dropped to not enough is because when he was nursing before literally nothing was coming out. Very frustrating for him and me both. Now that only happens once a day rather than half if his feedings so things are looking up!

I will definitely try different holds...I have a bit of a forceful let down anyway so he's not happy with the cradle hold. He will latch, unlatch, and latch again for the first several minutes until the geyser tapers off...ouch! I was laying on my side with him facing me for a while, but he stopped liking that one. I'll give the down under one a shot! In the meantime, cooling gel pads sound amazing And I am keeping an eye out for signs of thrush just in case. So far no white spots or anything, so that's good!

And now, my baby who just ate 20 minutes ago is hungry again.
    Joy.

8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    You're not going to be able to exclusively pump. What kind of pump is it? A hospital grade electric pump will get a decent amount of milk but chances are with your run of the mill affordable on the market pumps? those are for the breastfeeding mom that needs to pump occasionally. A pump is no where NEAR as efficient at getting milk as a baby is.

The sore nips...I hate to say this and I'm so sorry but suck it up pork chop, this is one of the shitty parts of breastfeeding that NO ONE TELLS YOU ABOUT. It fucking sucks and it's miserable and I want to give you a giant hug (from behind) because it fucking HURTS. It's temporary though. That lanolin stuff never soothed mine. I got from walmart you know those eye mask things you can put in the freezer and lay over your eyes and they reduce puffy circles or some shit? Those. I got two of em, froze em and stuck em on my boobs. Bonus was making the extra eye hole "talk" to my husband while laying there in pain topless. He walks in the room, grab it and make it say "YOU DID THIS TO ME GET ME ICE CREAM RIGHT NOW!" I swear to baby fucking jesus that works.

Your nipples will get used to it. Think about playing a guitar, your fingertips aren't used to being rubbed like that all the time so they're gonna be sore and have to build up callouses and stuff. Boobs are the same way. they don't get manhandled much then they get attacked. They aren't gonna get callouses but they do need to get broken in and it sucks so damn bad.

Fenugreek with blessed thistle and eat some oatmeal cookies (use the boobsicle to talk to the dh to make him bake you fresh ones) you will smell like muthafuggin wafflehouse but it will help production. drink LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water. Seriously, best thing for you is hydrate.
    This totally made me remember that I would freeze surgical gloves full of water. I'd stick those ice hands down my nursing bra and it was heaven.
  9. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post

I have a Medela In Style, but I gave up on exclusive pumping because of dishes I want to be able to occasionally pump so DH can feed the kiddo and I can catch a break sometimes, but I'm waiting til I get my supply back to normal for that to be a regular thing

Thank you for advice and also for making me laugh I needed something funny today

10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by babyjingo View Post
    The only reason I say production has dropped to not enough is because when he was nursing before literally nothing was coming out. Very frustrating for him and me both. Now that only happens once a day rather than half if his feedings so things are looking up!

I will definitely try different holds...I have a bit of a forceful let down anyway so he's not happy with the cradle hold. He will latch, unlatch, and latch again for the first several minutes until the geyser tapers off...ouch! I was laying on my side with him facing me for a while, but he stopped liking that one. I'll give the down under one a shot! In the meantime, cooling gel pads sound amazing And I am keeping an eye out for signs of thrush just in case. So far no white spots or anything, so that's good!

And now, my baby who just ate 20 minutes ago is hungry again.
    Joy.
    Thats the thing though, when they are doin the growth spurt thing you may feel like they're not getting anything but they are! Those are the times most moms switch to formula because they panic. baby is attached to the boob 25-8 and you think it's because they aren't getting enough. what it is doing is stimulating your body to make more milk for them. You're not always going to get the gushing letdown feeling, i promise he's still getting milk though.

Being hungry every five minutes is totes normal for growth spurts. We had days where I just laid in bed watching trashy TV with the girls hanging free and feeding on demand allllllll day because that's all he wanted. It was pointless to get up because the second I did, baby was hungry. Again, I encourage you to take advantage of this. "Hooooney you should make me a rootbeer float while you're making the fresh oatmeal cookies. I can't move cuz bebe."

Oh and don't be afraid to have a beer. Beer will also help milk production. Don't get lit or pound a bunch but a glass of your favorite ale isn't going to hurt and will help with milk production and help you relax.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast