Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any advice?

1. Senior Member

Any advice?

Advertisements
    Asking for my BFF since obviously I don't have any kiddos.

So, my best friend is exclusively breast feeding her son. He's 3.5 months old. She feels like her supply isn't keeping up cause she isn't getting much when she pumps (she used to) and she doesn't fill up before B gets hungry again (every 1.5-2 hours when awake). She takes fenugreek, drinks mothers milk tea and eats oatmeal daily. She's going to be starting school soon (to be a teacher) so she's going to be away more and have minimal time to pump. So, understandably, she's worried she won't be able to keep up her supply. Any ideas about what she can do to keep up her supply that she isn't doing?

Other things: she does kind of want to transition over to formula when school starts for her sanity. He'll be about 5 months at that point. So she bought some formula (similac sensitive) to see how he'd handle it. Well, long story short he's been vomiting for the past hour and we are at urgent care right now. Any ideas about formulas that might work better or what might have went wrong or anything?
  2. Senior Member
    1) The lactation consultant here told me Fenugreek is a waste of money and you'd have to drink your weight in MM tea for it to make a bit of difference. Water, water, and more water will help up her supply as well as making sure she's eating enough calories throughout the day.

2) Pumping is nowhere near as efficient as baby so there's a good chance she won't pump as much as baby is getting. With that said, some people just don't pump as much as others. :/ does she have a good pump? IMO that makes a world of difference!
    Also, if she can, get on a pumping 'schedule' to stimulate more milk letdown, even if that schedule is only 3 times a day.

3) I'm not a fan of Similac. When I originally stopped producing (only at 5.5 months, so sad) DS went on Enfamil. We then switched to Earth's Best organic and are now on Parent's Choice organic after doing a little research and seeing that they are both made by the same parent company. Formula is all about what works best for the little one, though.

If she's wanting to make it EBF until 5 months I *personally* wouldn't start supplementing with formula yet. That is totally up to her, though!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Similac was awful for us.

Gerber good start soothe was the only formula he could stomach. It's similar to enfamil gentlease but the enfamil made him spit up and gave him reflux like crazy. Hope he feels better!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'm a formula mama and we always used enfamil but I've had doctors suggest what Whit said, the gerber good start brand. I her little man feels better soon!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When nursing, I never felt full after the 3rdish month. Around that time, baby is going through another growth spurt. He is asking to eat more for mom's body to produce more.

I would say around 10 days, 2-4 months, 6-8 months, 12 months those are your big times of growth spurts. It seems like the baby is constantly attached to you. Baby is getting enough. If he/she is starting to lose weight, I would then think about formula.

Just remember, introducing formula can be counter conductive if you are nursing. Your body just needs the triggers to produce more. It takes a few days for it to happen. Giving formula just delays the response. It takes longer.

JMO though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Asking for my BFF since obviously I don't have any kiddos.

So, my best friend is exclusively breast feeding her son. He's 3.5 months old. She feels like her supply isn't keeping up cause she isn't getting much when she pumps (she used to) and she doesn't fill up before B gets hungry again (every 1.5-2 hours when awake). She takes fenugreek, drinks mothers milk tea and eats oatmeal daily. She's going to be starting school soon (to be a teacher) so she's going to be away more and have minimal time to pump. So, understandably, she's worried she won't be able to keep up her supply. Any ideas about what she can do to keep up her supply that she isn't doing?

Other things: she does kind of want to transition over to formula when school starts for her sanity. He'll be about 5 months at that point. So she bought some formula (similac sensitive) to see how he'd handle it. Well, long story short he's been vomiting for the past hour and we are at urgent care right now. Any ideas about formulas that might work better or what might have went wrong or anything?
    Everything she's feeling sounds normal. Her milk supply has evened out. You can't tell how much milk you are making by pumping. Only thing she can do is pump after every feeding to help tell her body she wants more milk made.
    As for formula, beware cause the baby might now be scared of all formula. Happened with my son. He puked all night from formula and then refused it for MONTHS till I finally was able to trick him into it at like 8 months old.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    Nestle/Gerber/Carnation Good Start was the best for all three of my babies even the one who was lactose intolerant. I found that of all the brands we tried (especially the LI baby where we tried several) good start was the most easily digestible, caused less gas among the more important things.
  8. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

I've never been able to pump more then 1 or 2oz after my supply evened out. I don't really know any moms who can. If baby is already drinking his fill you can't expect to pump out a ton of extra once your body has regulated to make just enough to nourish your baby. She will probably be able to pump a lot more once she isn't feeding full time. For example if she pumps after feeding enough times to get one relief bottle and then she pumps during the feeding when baby is being fed the bottle she will most likely be able to produce a full bottle from pumping. As long as her baby isn't having any weight issues she shouldn't worry too much about supply because baby's weight is really the only true indicator of whether or not baby is getting enough to eat. I have no advice for her on formula because we never used it after the first two weeks but I will say that my son and a few other BF kiddos I know absolutely refuse to take frozen breast milk! Quinn will only drink fresh pumped out of the fridge. Also, I have heard of moms go back to work and successfully do formula at day care but continue to breast feed at home. Good luck to her!
  9. Senior Member

Aria took Enfamil no problem from day 1. My BFF used it for her daughter and she had no issues so thats why I used it with Aria.