Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about breastfeeding

1. Senior Member

Talk to me about breastfeeding

Advertisements
    Alright, our little guy arrived 6 days ago and I have been trying to breastfeed exclusively. The doctor scared the crud outta me when I took him in the day after we left the hospital saying that he had lost "quite a bit of weight", he was borng at 7lbs 8 oz, left the hospital at 7lbs 2oz and weighed in at 6.8lbs the day after we got home from the hospital. Today I did another weight check and he weighed in at 7lbs 7oz. I feel like my milk is starting to come in but hasn't fully. I have been pumping in conjunction with feeding from breast and I am getting more and more each day, however it isn't quite the 2oz I feel he should be getting. It also fluctuates throughout the day as to how much I am producing. My questions for you guys are:

Did you ever feel the need to supplement with formula while waiting/hoping on your milk to come in?
    How long did it take for your milk to come in?
    Did you fluctuate on how much you produced throughout the day?

Any other advice is very much appreciated. I have met with a visiting nurse and she says he looks great and to keep at it, I just think he should be getting more than what I am able to produce which averages about 1.5-2 oz on a very good pumping session but has been 3oz (from both sides and only happened one time which was this morning) and been as low at .75oz.

Thank you so much in advance!

NotThatMonkey is my awesome Wifey
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    A newborn doesn't always need 2oz at a time, it's needs precisely what you produce! You can do it mama, trust your body! Nurse until your baby is content! If your baby wants to nurse every hour then nurse every hour, eventually your body will take the hint and you WILL produce enough!! Formula = less milk. Let your baby snuggle at the breast even if he's not actively nursing. Relax and follow his cues. If he's wetting, pooping, sleeping & thriving I wouldn't worry about the weight thing, personally. I suggest meeting with a lactation consultant and possibly seeking a second opinion about the weight thing! GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP!!!

3. Senior Member
    So he was born at 7lb 8oz, lost some and at day 6 is only 1oz off birth weight at 7lb 7oz???

THAT is fantastic! Most breastfed babies don't reach back to birth weight until 10-14 days old. Don't worry, don't need to supplement. I would stop pumping as long as he is going to the breast 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, you have plenty of milk as he is right on track. Try to sit back and relax now, enjoy him and don't worry! You are doing a fab job!!

(Ps I am a midwife and lactation counsellor and taking the lactation consultant exam next week)
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nursing on demand (as much as the baby needs, rather than on a schedule), staying hydrated, and eating lactation cookies were the things that helped me. Here are the lactation cookies that I made:

peaceful parenting: Lactation Cookies: Increasing Milk Supply
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    So he was born at 7lb 8oz, lost some and at day 6 is only 1oz off birth weight at 7lb 7oz???

THAT is fantastic! Most breastfed babies don't reach back to birth weight until 10-14 days old. Don't worry, don't need to supplement. I would stop pumping as long as he is going to the breast 8-12 times in a 24 hour period, you have plenty of milk as he is right on track. Try to sit back and relax now, enjoy him and don't worry! You are doing a fab job!!

(Ps I am a midwife and lactation counsellor and taking the lactation consultant exam next week)

Sorry it took so long to respond, my folks are here and things have been a bit nuts. I think my milk finally came in as I have started leaking a decent amount when I go to feed him. The weigh thing is a bit confusing because he was weighed 4 times last week with varied results: birth weight 7.8, left the hospital at 7.2. Day after coming home 6.8, 3 days later 6.10, the day after that 7.29 by the visting nurse and finally on friday he came in at 7.7lbs. The 6.8,6.10 and 7.7 all were at the NACC and on different scales. I stopped pumping except for once because when my milk started coming in, he only wanted to feed on one side and seemed satisfied. He seems to be a lazy feeder because it takes quite a bit of stimulation to keep him awake enough to feed.

He has been pooping A LOT today and by a lot, I mean like 5 poopy diapers in a row and one was an explosive surprise DH got in the back of the car today . Almost all of his diapers are wet to some degree.

6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Nursing on demand (as much as the baby needs, rather than on a schedule), staying hydrated, and eating lactation cookies were the things that helped me. Here are the lactation cookies that I made:

peaceful parenting: Lactation Cookies: Increasing Milk Supply

WHEN DID YOU GET BACK????
  7. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

supplimenting will kill your supply. some women aren't pumpers so do NOT base what you're making on how much you can pump. I used a hospital grade suck your nipples off and send them to mars pump and got 8 oz in one sitting ONCE, all the other times I'd get maaaybe 2 oz. I was super engorged at the 8oz session too. Your body will respond by making what your baby needs, if they need more they suck more and your body goes Oh hey yo, we're empty and spawn wants more. DOUBLE TIME IT! You're going to doubt yourself. You're going to stress over it. No matter what ANYONE says you're going to question it and be paranoid. To that I say WELCOME TO PARENTHOOD! You're going to doubt everything, think you suck, wonder what you're doing, dig through the couch to make SUUUUURE no instruction manual came with these little people and then they are going to give you a toothless grin and all the doubts go out the window as your heart fills up with love.

then they will puke all over you and in your open mouth.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    When she came back not sure, but she has made two posts since coming back that I saw.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

SO glad to hear that your milk came in! When mine came in, my boobs went from a bit tender to HUGE rocks until I nursed on them. It was kind of freaky They settled down after a bit, though, and got to a more normal texture. It just takes them a little while to regulate and figure out exactly how much your baby needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    When she came back not sure, but she has made two posts since coming back that I saw.
    A couple of days ago I've mostly been lurking and reading lol. It's been a nuts week, so I didn't really get a chance to post a "hi" post or anything.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Senior Member
    It is true, as soon as they get here you do tend to doubt everything and when the doctor tells you your baby is losing weight it gets freaky. It is REALLY good to know that pumping isn't a good determination of what you are producing because it does seem to be all over the place. I've only pumped twice since the last post because he started only eating on one side and the other was screaming "for the love of god help me"

Thank you all so much for your help. I am feeling better because DS seems to be satisfied and filling out. We will see at his 2 week appointment this coming Friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast