Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear tubes... -______- idk what they're called

1. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries

Help Updated!!! Ear tubes... -______- idk what they're called

Advertisements
    Tell me about them! Chase is just getting over his 4th ear infection in 4 months. We have an ENT appt next week.

I'm pretty desperate to help him so I'm going to push for tubes if it's an option. I have missed so much work due to these infections and they make him so miserable and he doesn't respond well to antibiotics at all. Puking, diarrhea, stomach cramps and ridiculous fevers over 103. Just feel so bad for him.

Anyone have experience with the procedure and an infant? Should I consider other options? Is it worth the risk of anesthesia?

Update!!!!

We got his tubes put in on Thursday! Absolutely no negative side effects thus far and his tude has been great! The procedure took 5 mins start to finish and he was crawling around like his normal self a couple hours later! Thanks for all the info in here it helped make my decision easier
    Last edited by Whitla; 05-25-2014 at 12:23 PM.

2. Senior Member
    DS had his first set put in at 9 months. Second set at 22 months. It was harder on me than it was on him. Sleepy sleepy, then recovery to make sure he came out of sedation okay. We were home the next day. DS had so e sinus stuff done at the same time. Chase will be fine. .

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Pai had tubes put in at 17 months but my friend just had her 8 month old get tubes and for both our experiences it was harder on is than on the little ones. But the benefits from the tubes were immediately seen, she didn't get any more ear infections at all and we just had the tubes removed about 2 weeks ago because her ears didn't push them out naturally. But I would definitely recommend it. They aren't bad at all and help so much with their little ears.

4. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    What was the recovery time?

5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Paityn bounced back from both surgeries within hours. We went home, took a nap and she woke up like nothing had happened that morning.

The worst part was her freaking out coming off of anesthetic. It was heart breaking to deal with as a mama. But after some juice, a nap and a good lunch later she was back to her normal self.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    Paityn bounced back from both surgeries within hours. We went home, took a nap and she woke up like nothing had happened that morning.

The worst part was her freaking out coming off of anesthetic. It was heart breaking to deal with as a mama. But after some juice, a nap and a good lunch later she was back to her normal self.
    This. It's the anesthesia that's the worst. It's not a big, invasive surgery type ordeal. I don't even recall his ears bothering him at all afterwards.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I didn't even know jumping straight to ear tubes was an option. DD got her tonsils out as a first
    move to help her with the ear infections. Every doctor she saw said and everything I read said it was the better first step. Unless the doctor themselves thinks it's worth doing ear tubes. Likely because there is a decent amount of care that goes into like making sure no water gets in their ears and extc while the tubes are in place. I was told it was also more abrasive (dunno how but that is what the doctor told me a couple years ago with DD)

DD still gets ear infections time to time but nothing like before. Only like once every 4-6months now, and they don't make her super sick like they used too. Heck I don't even know she has them anymore till she gets a cold or something else that sends her to the doctor.

I hope whatever you and the doctor decides helps your little one! Tubes or tonsils out(or even both.. I know someone that has has to do both with her kid before the infections stopped happening spending often.) It should do wonders for him, but talk to the doctor and both of you talk about the options. I was ready to push .pf tubes myself till I was told the tonsils coming out would be a better first option surgery wise.
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post

This is pretty much the same thing that was the worst with DD. Only make it she has her tonsils out now.. She was bouncing around at home after even though I kept trying to have her rest.

Oh and with tonsil removal part of the recovery is them having REALLY bad breath for a couple of days. DD had suck bad breath I could smell it just walking into her room. Didn't even have to get near her....
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 05-06-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I've never heard of a doctor recommending tonsil removal before tubes but that's just my experience! Especially not on an infant, the tubes would be less invasive.

But I agree that definitely talk to your doctor about all your options. My husband had chronic ear infections as a kid, I think he said he had a total of 5 sets of tubes from infancy to 10 years old and each time he got them they relieved the stress. If little man gets older and starts having more and more issues I could see them recommending the tonsils out but not right now with him being so little and tubes being extremely effective in most cases!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you guys and he can get some relief

10. Studying my life away.
    Studying my life away.
    As someone who has personally had double digits (i lost count after 10) sets of tubes in my ears, I can say that every time I can remember having them they were FANTASTIC! The pain was always instantly gone when I woke up from recovery and I was always home within a few hours after waking up and completely myself by that evening. I don't know quite how young I was when I got my first set of them, but I'm pretty sure I was less than a year at the time. And I didn't get my tonsils removed until I was like 7 ish.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast