Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: When do I start to worry?

1. Senior Member

When do I start to worry?

Advertisements
    I never know if I'm overreacting or not when DD gets sick. I don't know if it's a first time mom thing or if I'm just a big baby about it, so I thought I'd get some feedback from some other moms.

DD has had a stomach bug since Sunday. She hasn't thrown up a lot, just once or twice per day. She's not dehydrated, been drinking plenty, but not really eating. She was pretty much weaned, but started nursing again since she got sick, which I'm actually ok with since she won't eat. That seems like pretty normal stomach bug to me--I looked up info about stomach bugs and vomiting on the Dr. Sears site, and she didn't have any of the signs that it could be serious.

What's worrying me is how tired she is. She is normally constantly moving and super active, but she's just been sitting still and lying down all day for the past few days. She's sleeping way more, too. Is that normal for a bug like this? It's just so weird to not be chasing her around all day that it's freaking me out.

TIA!
  2. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

I was like you when it was just dd and I. Every time something made her sneeze I had that baby at the pediatricians office. Sleeping more is good so long as she wakes up and takes some nourishment in (without it coming back up, obviously). If you're really worried, call her doctor and make an appointment.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Sleeping is VERY good when you are sick.

As long as the little one is eating somewhat, staying hydrated, and acting (for the most part) normal, try not to worry so much.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Formerly BooBoo_Bear
    Being tired and wanting rest is the body's natural reaction to fighting any illness. It's good she's not all over... let's her body use more energy to get ober ry the bug more quickly.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks, everyone, this was very reassuring. She seemed much better today, still pretty tired, but she did eat some food and she kept all of it down!

Of course, she gave the bug to me, but at least she is over the worst of it now so we don't have two sick people in the house.
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Okay I just read your update after I typed out this whole pointless response LOL! I'm so glad she's feeling better and kept everything down today! I was going to say 5 days is a long time to be throwing up, even if it's not frequent, but since she seems to be doing better, I wouldn't worry. And I wouldn't have worried too much before, since she was drinking plenty--you're totally right that the drinking fluids is much more important than eating. And good for you for continuing to nurse, I think that's great.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  7. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    When Nolan had a bug he slept through the night, woke up & nursed, slept like...6 hours or something ridiculous I was nervous too, because I dont know ANYTHING about babies!! Your DD sounds like she's doing ok though...nursing & sleeping Good luck & hope you both get better soon!

8. Senior Member
    Thanks again! She is so much better, I was just getting worried because it seemed to be dragging on for a while. Milk seemed to be really upsetting her stomach, so we stopped giving her any while she was sick, and we've temporarily switched to lactose-free milk to see if that helps. She's eating normally, and is back to her old super-active self today.