Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast feeding and pumping

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Breast feeding and pumping

Advertisements
    Sydney HATES my boobs . Screams and arches any time I try to get her to latch which usually ends up with me in almost tears too handing her back to DH while I finish pumping. (I've noticed it's better if I pump a bit first and them get her to latch.)

I've been exclusively pumping and bottle feeding her (while trying to her her to latch a few times a day) since she was about 5 days old and realized she was definitely not getting enough milk . Had a nice little sobfest at the pediatricians office when she was dehydrated enough they had trouble getting blood out to check her jaundice levels. Which led to us heading to a hospital branch. Her levels showed she wasn't dehydrated afterall, but it was enough of a wake up call. I started pumping that evening and we have both been SO MUCH more relaxed. She's sleeping better and is overall a happier baby! However, I still would love her to breast feed and not just be a milk machine . Im producing enough; we haven't had to supplement at all () and I have a ridiculous amount of milk frozen already.

Now that my story is over...anybody have any good advice/resources/links for exclusively pumping or helping to get her back to breast feeding too?

(I've had her checked by the pediatrician, 2 lactation consultants, AND my speech therapist from work (I work in Early intervention at the local DD board) to check for tongue or lip tie. She's good to go in that area. Just has a really poor latch and one told me she thinks my nipple might be too big for her tiny mouth to get a good latch on.)
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First I get how frustrating a latch is and I didn't even think to check for a lip tie because I didn't know there was such a thing so you're ahead of me with that!

Second, Trina EP'd Kalista so she definitely can tell you about that, I suck with pumping so I don't even pump to build up a stock at home.

As far as getting her back on the breast, it's just practice and consistancy is all I've ever heard. I had a break down over Emmett to my mom because his latch sucked, was so painful, he was dribbling out the side of his mouth, and he kept sucking in air so he was also horribly gassy. I chalked it up to a poor nurser/small mouth because both boys are really small jawed/mouthed. It wasn't until Glamorous on here posted about her second's problems and her finding a lip tie when I checked and, low and behold, he's tied.

Have you sat down with an LC to have them evaluate her latch at all? Once I found the tie, I went to our BF'ing socials here and two seconds looking at his latch and about 5min of the LC showing me how to pull at his lips and get him to latch correctly and it was night and day.

Seriously, though, It's so frustrating when you don't understand what's going on and how to fix it.
  3. Senior Member
    I didn't have any real trouble with DS but I'm sure someone has! Some pointers/advice that were told to me beforehand are to stay as calm and relaxed as possible because she will feel it. Are you using a breastfeeding friendly bottle? I would continue to try to latch her before offering the bottle. Your nipple may be too big for her so you may need to wait until she is bigger to breastfeed again. Good luck!
    Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.

4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I know she is over here but I will link you to my LLC's FB. She is AMAZING!!! And will have some awesome tips for you I know it!!

Because you have such a rocking supply like me it is very likely you have a forceful letdown which may be what pisses her off. I know they are a PITA but a shield would help slow that let down and also gives her a smaller shape and that could help her latch on better and be able to nurse. It's worked wonders for Edmund.

Also - trying latching and working on latch when she is not fussy hungry. So give her a bottle a bit before so she is a little satisfied and then try that way it isn't traumatic and stressful for you both.

Try the leaned back position with both of you naked and let her root and latch on her own that will help as well.

I also had to pump before I fed Naomi because I had too much. I pumped for 5 min before and then fed, help her a lot.

As for pumping it's all about a relationship with the pump. Pumping at the same times every day for the same duration. Matching those times up with when you have breaks at work or whatever so your body gets used to that and lets down for the pump at that time.

You are rocking this.
  5. Member
    What about a nipple shield? Since she is already taking a bottle it might be more familiar to her.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm exclusively pumping, not really by choice but he had a poor latch to begin with then add all the bottles he had while in the hospital both times... He won't latch even with the shield anymore and it upset me too much to keep trying.

Like you, I feel like a milk machine, but I'm just glad to know he's getting breastmilk instead of formula. But I would definitely keep working with her on it, and the LCs as well if you can Everyone said it would get easier as he got bigger and stronger, I just didn't have a chance to find out.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Honestly if you want to get to breast only is to ditch the bottle. Bottles are easier so they become "lazy" suckers since the breast is more work. Try and get an SNS feeder, and fill that with breastmilk so she still can get milk quickly while still learning to latch. You can also do cup feedings as a top up after breast if you think she needs it or finger feeds. You take away the comfort of sucking on the bottle she should take up to sucking on the breast as comfort.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Honestly if you want to get to breast only is to ditch the bottle. Bottles are easier so they become "lazy" suckers since the breast is more work. Try and get an SNS feeder, and fill that with breastmilk so she still can get milk quickly while still learning to latch. You can also do cup feedings as a top up after breast if you think she needs it or finger feeds. You take away the comfort of sucking on the bottle she should take up to sucking on the breast as comfort.
    The SNS is a great system for sure.
  9. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Have you tried a nipple shield? Nolan & I needed one for 3 weeks, a friend of mine used one for 3 months...eventually the babies were able to latch onto the breast without the shield. Good job with pumping, I pump 3 times a day at work, I can't imagine EPing!

Nolan had jaundice, so we supplemented with formula for 2 weeks until he was cleared. For every feeding of formula I pumped & stored the milk, and then he nursed with the nipple shield. Between bottles, the nipple shield, tongue tie & nursing after pumping it's a wonder he nurses like a champ! Kids are resilient, it sounds like little S just needs to learn how to get the boobie. You'll be fine!!
    Last edited by Serpentine; 04-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.

:)
    Blog Entries
    I don't really have much advice but if you want to EBF then don't give up. Ziva was in the NICU for 6 weeks...getting bottles then when we got home we would try to get her to latch before she got a bottle. It took another 6 weeks (if not a little longer) before we were EBF. It was a long, emotional and frustrating process but it was worth it. Just keep trying to get her to latch before each feeding.

Kaitlyn was bottle fed for the first month and she latched right on when we were moving and I couldn't pump. So just because babies are bottle fed for a while doesn't mean they can't be breast fed.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast