Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Newborn Cloth Diapers?

1. Senior Member

Newborn Cloth Diapers?

Advertisements
    Hey All

DH and I are planning on cloth diapering when baby arrives, but I was wondering if it's better to buy newborn cloth diapers to use while the baby is really little (all of hubby's siblings and all of mine were around 7 pounds, I know it's not perfect, but I'm guessing that mine'll be around that weight ) or is it better to just use disposables while the baby is too small for one-size cloth diapers?

I heard somewhere (possibly here...) that I should plan on having about 24-30 diapers for the baby, if I DO need a separate stash of newborn diapers would it be another 24-30 diapers?

When the baby is just born, I know they'll have the meconium poop, but how long does that last? And is it better to use disposables during that time? If it's anything like other animals first poop I'm assuming it would be a bad plan to try to use cloth... I'm thinking stinky, sticky, disgusting mess that's likely to stain cloth...

Sorry for all the questions!
    I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

2. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    We have done both start in disposables and in cloth with the last 2. I prefer prefolds and fitteds for NB especially. 2 dozen is a good start. Diapers have a great turnaround though. You can get just as much back as you put in. 1 size diapers generally dont fit until 8-12 lbs. depending on the diaper. The tar poop wont stain if you wash right away. Ours never did.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I bought about 20 newborn fitteds that I couldn't resist the patterns/prints in from the brand I use almost exclusively for one size and then I beefed up the stash with a newborn fitted diaper rental. I had about 40 diapers I really used and honestly I could have gotten away with less than that.

We waited for the meconium stage to pass so we started once we left the hospital. I loved it, it was way easy with the rental and once I got my deposit back, the 24 rental diapers cost us $50. I also sold off all of my newborns that I bought except for a few that I'm really attached to and made back all the money I spent on them.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    We have done both start in disposables and in cloth with the last 2. I prefer prefolds and fitteds for NB especially. 2 dozen is a good start. Diapers have a great turnaround though. You can get just as much back as you put in. 1 size diapers generally dont fit until 8-12 lbs. depending on the diaper. The tar poop wont stain if you wash right away. Ours never did.
    Awesome, good to know... I still might use disposables the first couple days... just 'cause I don't like dealing with gooey poop. We'll see...

I was already planning on using prefolds with covers for the newborn ones if I needed too... mostly due to not wanting to shell out a ton of cash for something I'm gonna use for like 2 months...

How many diapers would I go through? Change every 2 hours right? So like.... 10-12 a day?!

ETA: The above comment is referring to disposables.

5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I use sposies until the cord falls off and then I transition. Mini Mr. only has 1 brand of cloth he currently fits into and I don't have enough of that type right now he still is bouncing between both. That and I want to use up all his newborn sposies so they don't go to waste. He is chunking up quick though so his Alva's should fit soon too along with his Sunbaby's. Tar poo normally only lasts 3-4 days and I would definitely use sposies during that time. We have a stash of about 30 OS pocket diapers that we use. No separate stash of newborn specific ones.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

The awesome thing about newborn diapers is that you use them for such a little time that it's hard to ruin them, and you can get almost the full value back on resale. The sucky part about newborn diapers is that you use them for such a short time. If you plan to have more kids though, it can be good to just buy a newborn stash, use it for all of your kids, and then sell it.

I have done it both ways, and with the twins I will be using a mic of newborn AIOs (some from when I CDed my second from birth, some borrowed from a friend) and prefolds/flats and covers. Once I am done I will just sell all of my diapers and return the borrowed ones, and use the prefolds for other things. I do use disposables in the hospital, mostly because of the meconium poop, and I have never had a kid that still had meconium by the time we got home. So staining the NB dipes wit it was never an issue.

7. Senior Member
    Thanks for all the info ladies. That's definitely helpful. Sounds like we'll be getting a few disposable to get us through the first few days, then switching over to one-sizes. Might pick up a few new-born ones if I can get them cheap....

How long can you use a cover for if you're using the prefolds inside them? You wouldn't have to wash it unless it got pooped on right?

8. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I use them all day unless they get poo on them. But that is why I go with fitteds and prefolds as it holds everything in the best.
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    At first you are gonna want to roll the edges of the prefolds to create gussets. As they get older and they are on a more set schedule and solid poo, then you can just fold it into 3rds and put it in the cover no pinning or anything like that.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    At first you are gonna want to roll the edges of the prefolds to create gussets. As they get older and they are on a more set schedule and solid poo, then you can just fold it into 3rds and put it in the cover no pinning or anything like that.
    OK, awesome tip! I'll keep that in mind... hopefully I can remember until September!