Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Long term Nursing.....

1. Senior Member

Hello Long term Nursing.....

Advertisements
    I nursed my baby boy for 21 months he is now 2!!!!!! honestly we would probably still be nursing right now if i had support for nursing him as long as i did..... wanted to know if there are any other moms out there that have nursed beyond the 12 month mark. lol and where did you find your support?

i used to attend "sisterhood" out here but there were so many people and babies it was hard to have my questions answered and get the support i needed from them.... my husband was great but he saw how frustrated i was getting and my family was always on my ass about getting him to stop. it was so hard. but on a plus side my son has become way more social now, a complete daddys boy, and a HUGE cuddle buddy.

if you are still nursing beyond 12 i say 'WAY TO GO...KEEP IT UP'
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

No kids here, but I was breast fed until four years old My older brother as well. My mom found support through LLL. Even back then, it was not popular. It is awesome you did it for so long!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My daughter is 26 months and we're still nursing a couple of times per day My primary support is my relative isolation lol-- I'm a bit more of a hermit, so I just do what makes us happy. Outside of that, I generally don't bring it up with people and when it does come up, people are generally either supportive or quiet. The few times I do get negative comments, I just let people know bluntly that their opinion is completely irrelevant and worthless, so thank you but let's talk about a different topic.

Could be part of the reason I'm a hermit, though My response, not the nursing.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

We nursed until 16 months when LM made the decision she was done.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to wean but we're still nursing and YDD is 15 months. I had her down to 2 times and then last night she refused to stop at 2 and wanted 3 again today. I guess we're yo-yoing at this point. Before I started to wean her she was on demand and would nurse many times a day. Some of those times I think it was more of wanting to suckle than eat.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I just stopped nursing recently, but I nursed my son until he was 25 months. I honestly didn't have a lot of support other than some BFing moms on this site. Quite a few friends and family didn't really understand the extended nursing.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    I just stopped nursing recently, but I nursed my son until he was 25 months. I honestly didn't have a lot of support other than some BFing moms on this site. Quite a few friends and family didn't really understand the extended nursing.
    Not at all directed at you B....While I understand the cultural challenge, its not "extended" lolz. I always bring that up In discussions. Um like 99% of humans before modern America. Mmmkayyy shut up bye bye.
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    Not at all directed at you B....While I understand the cultural challenge, its not "extended" lolz. I always bring that up In discussions. Um like 99% of humans before modern America. Mmmkayyy shut up bye bye.
    I got ya. I just go by what his pediatrican and LLL go by (https://www.llli.org/nb/nbextended.html), and anything past a year is extended BFing since they no longer "need" breastmilk at the point

9. Senior Member
    My DS is occasionally nursing and he is 2.5. He only nurses a few times a week but I'm also 23 weeks pregnant My main source of support is my DH, some really great friends, and I am very involved in our LLL.

What is sisterhood?
  10. Senior Member
    My DD still nurses, and I have no plans to wean her anytime soon. I was hoping to make it to at least 2, but I don't know if I will. She stopped nursing during the day, and only ever nurses 2-3 times at night (it would have been so much easier if she had stopped nursing at night and nursed during the day but oh well). My support system is my sisters, who have all nursed their children to at least a year, and most of them have gone to or past 2. I also have a pediatrician who is very supportive of breastfeeding and seems very informed about it. When DD still nursed during the day, I would sometimes get nervous about nursing in public, since she is over a year, but no one's ever given me problems.

I hope you can find some support.