Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECing

1. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

ECing

Advertisements
    Does anybody do it? What has your experience been?

We have been working with Quinn on it since Day 1. We started by just cheering and smiling every time he peed outside of his diaper and within a few weeks (I think he was 6 or 7 weeks old probably) he would cry before he had peed and then pee once we took his diaper off of him. He was doing so well that at 4 months (when he was sitting up well) we bought a potty chair for his room and started setting him on it when he cried to go potty. Soon we were catching poops too! Now he prefers to poop on the potty! We're at the point now that he goes usually all night without wetting his diaper!

BUT we seem to have plateaued. I'm having a really hard time getting through the days without wet pants... I still catch most of his pees but we both get distracted by his toys or my household work and either he isn't cueing or I keep missing his cues... Did anyone else experience this? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    What is ECing?

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    What is ECing?
    Elimination communication, starting "potty training" from the early days based on cues from the baby
  4. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Um, ok
    Except babies can not physically or mentally give a hoot...but ok....

5. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

Quote Originally Posted by Frankystein. View Post
    Elimination communication, starting "potty training" from the early days based on cues from the baby

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Um, ok
    Except babies can not physically or mentally give a hoot...but ok....
    Suit yourself! My son isn't an anomaly. Google it!
  6. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    I read up on it when I was pregnant but with the husband being in Iraq and the whole first time mom brain fog deal I didn't have the brain power to try it.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  7. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    You take your child to that bathroom because you can tell they are about to go....it is possible to effectively toilet train a toddler without doing that too, though. What is the benefit? (sincere curiosity!)

8. -----<3-----
    -----<3-----

The benefit is less diapers and since Quinn is in cloth that is significant (considering we don't have a dryer). Additionally a lot of people (myself included) believe it makes toilet training way easier because you aren't spending 1.5 -2+ years teaching a child that it is correct to eliminate in his pants and then trying to break them of that later.

It was barely any work at all. Literally all we did was go, "YAY!!!!" every time he peed outside of his diaper and then changed him when he cried just like any other parent. The only difference is he cried before he actually peed.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

If we ever had a baby, I'd be all about this I was amazed that where I was in Tanzania, the kids were all potty trained at a year old but when you think about it, it makes sense.
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Good for you for giving it a go, it takes some serious dedication IMO to EC. I never had the time or dedication to attempt it but I have some very good friends that have and their child/ren all were potty learned completely very early on and they went through maybe 5 diapers a week when they were younger from misses. It was amazing to me to see and watch. I have heard that the plateau as things in life become busy is very normal though.

I really love the book "Beyond the Sling" by Mayaim Bialik (Amy from Big Bang Theory if you watch that). She talks about her AP style and there is a whole chapter on ECing and how it works and worked for her and how it changed when there were 2 instead of one. Very good book highly recommend it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast