Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of baby sleep questions, and a bonus pic!

1. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Lots of baby sleep questions, and a bonus pic!

Advertisements
    This might ramble a bit because my brain is going in circles.

So Emmaleigh has had an interesting sleeping life since she was born. First month, wouldn't sleep anywhere but my chest. Once I finally got her moved to the swing, she would sleep 3-4 hours at a time at night for her entire second month. That was glorious. And ended abruptly around 3 weeks ago. She has started waking up every hour. Sometimes less, sometimes more. A typical night for us is this: Start bedtime routine (change diaper for the night, change into pj's, swaddle, turn down lights, turn on lullaby or rain sounds, and nurse to sleep) at 8-9pm based on her preference for the day. I let her lead me when it comes to sleep. She naps when she needs to and goes to bed when she needs to as long as its past 8 pm. She usually wakes up around 8am and then takes a nap by 9am for at least half an hour.

She will usually sleep from 8/9pm until 1am, then will wake up, but she never really wakes all of the way up, she just fusses in her sleep. And by fusses I mean grunts and wiggles around and tosses her head back and forth. I know at 1am she needs to eat, but she wakes up every. single. hour. after that.
    I've tried waiting a while to see if she stops. I've tried just putting a hand on her, tried turning on her lullaby or rain sounds, tried turning the swing on or off, tried everything I can think of. She falls asleep with her paci, and I've tried a couple times to give that to her, but she still grunts and spits it out. When she falls into a deep sleep she has usually already pushed it out of her mouth, so I know she doesn't need it to stay asleep.

Its almost like she is trying to roll over in her sleep. But she wont sleep in her crib so I'm at a loss. She hasn't rolled over while awake yet so its confusing to me that she is trying in her sleep.
    She nurses back to sleep every time.

We don't change diapers at night unless she poops because it wakes her up completely, even if I do it in the dark and quickly and it takes sometimes up to an hour to get her back to sleep.

When she wakes up in the mornings around 8 or 9 she seems well rested and happy, all smiles, babbling, playing, and stays awake when she nurses, but usually is asleep less than an hour later for at least 30 minutes.

So ... tl:dr-
    Is it normal for her to wake up every hour (or more) for 5-6 hours straight?
    How soon did you move your baby(ies) to the crib if they slept somewhere else first? (and any tips for that?)
    When did you stop swaddling?
    Should a 3 month old be sleeping longer increments by now?
    Could this potentially be a bfing supply problem?

Help! Im exhausted!

I feel like I got it all, but my brain is in a fog from being so tired. I think I had more questions and will just have to hope I remember them.

And, bonus:

2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I suggest moving her to her crib. Not sure your thoughts on CIO, but if you are okay with that, there may be a day or two of CIO.

The swing could be making her uncomfortable, and causing her to wake up. If you don't want to start her in the crib, move here when she starts to squirm... My kids would do a lot of stretching in the middle of the night.. they wouldn't wake up, but they'd be moving around, and stretching.

I believe she should be able to roll over at this point (but I don't remember, been a while).

Whether or not a 3 month old 'should' be sleeping longer is dependent upon the child. Some kids never sleep, some sleep 12 hours a night from day one. So, there really isn't a normal time.

If you think she needs to feed @ 1am, then feed her. Some babies don't fully wake up when they are fed, but some do and go back to sleep shortly after.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Don't CIO at 2 months old, goodness!
    3 months old is normal for a growth spurt. Around this time my son went from sleeping through the night to waking every 1-2 hours. It's normal. They wake up for a reason at this age, even if it's just to be comforted its a reason.
    It's not a bf supply issue, babies nurse and are "ordering" their next meal. She's doing what's natural and upping your supply for you!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I suggest moving her to her crib. Not sure your thoughts on CIO, but if you are okay with that, there may be a day or two of CIO.

The swing could be making her uncomfortable, and causing her to wake up. If you don't want to start her in the crib, move here when she starts to squirm... My kids would do a lot of stretching in the middle of the night.. they wouldn't wake up, but they'd be moving around, and stretching.

I believe she should be able to roll over at this point (but I don't remember, been a while).

Whether or not a 3 month old 'should' be sleeping longer is dependent upon the child. Some kids never sleep, some sleep 12 hours a night from day one. So, there really isn't a normal time.

If you think she needs to feed @ 1am, then feed her. Some babies don't fully wake up when they are fed, but some do and go back to sleep shortly after.
    Today, I think Im going to try putting her down for her naps in her crib just to see what happens. She usually seems to need the movement of the swing to stay asleep, but she might be ready to make the switch. I dont know that Im ready to try CIO until Ive exhausted all of my other options.

From what Im reading online it says they should be rolling over between 3-4 months, and I havent been great about tummy time. She gets it everyday but usually not very long so I am going to be diligent about that hopefully it will help.

5. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Don't CIO at 2 months old, goodness!
    3 months old is normal for a growth spurt. Around this time my son went from sleeping through the night to waking every 1-2 hours. It's normal. They wake up for a reason at this age, even if it's just to be comforted its a reason.
    It's not a bf supply issue, babies nurse and are "ordering" their next meal. She's doing what's natural and upping your supply for you!
    That makes me feel pretty relieved. But its been going on for like 2-3 weeks, is that strange?

I made a comment to my husband the other day that it seems like she has a growth spurt once a week

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    That makes me feel pretty relieved. But its been going on for like 2-3 weeks, is that strange?

I made a comment to my husband the other day that it seems like she has a growth spurt once a week
    Nope cluster feeding is completely normal! Exhausting but normal
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    Everything I've read about CIO says don't attempt until 4 months, but I know that can be very family specific.

Is she getting enough sleep during the day? My ped stressed that just because C 'wants' to stay awake during the day for a 3-4 hour stretch doesn't mean he should. Apparently that can cause serious sleep issues at night from being overtired.

Oh and to make you feel better, Cole is only 8 weeks but he does something similar. Whatever time I put him down (usually between 9 and 10) he sleeps for 4 hours. After that he is up every 2 hours without fail. I think it's a normal baby thing, I'm hoping a phase he grows out of.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Nope cluster feeding is completely normal! Exhausting but normal
    I just wish she would give me a break! But that is reassuring, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Everything I've read about CIO says don't attempt until 4 months, but I know that can be very family specific.

Is she getting enough sleep during the day? My ped stressed that just because C 'wants' to stay awake during the day for a 3-4 hour stretch doesn't mean he should. Apparently that can cause serious sleep issues at night from being overtired.

Oh and to make you feel better, Cole is only 8 weeks but he does something similar. Whatever time I put him down (usually between 9 and 10) he sleeps for 4 hours. After that he is up every 2 hours without fail. I think it's a normal baby thing, I'm hoping a phase he grows out of.
    I dont plan on doing CIO at all if I dont have to Thats just my very last, Ive-done-this-for-months-and-am-going-insane resort

I think she is, but that may be a good place for me to start. She doesnt have "designated" nap times, and usually she just sleeps wherever she is at. But I may have to start actually putting her down for a long nap more often. She usually takes about 4-5 naps a day, with at least two that are an hour or more. The rest are usually 15-45 minutes.

Thank you, its good to know that Im not the only one!

9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yes, definitely start with changing her naps.

Put her down for 2 1-3 hour naps a day and see if that helps.

You can do the other stuff too, but I would get her on a more solid schedule. A bedtime and scheduled nap times.. that no only will help her, but you as well (you can nap when she does)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I'm not a fan of CIO, never have been, probably never will be. If you decide to go that route though, definitely wait until closer to 6 months if you can.

Also, definitely give getting nap schedules of some kind a shot. It doesn't have to exactly "x" time, but around then. DS took 3 naps a day until close to a year, then he moved to 2 naps until about 18 months, and now he only takes one.

Is it normal for her to wake up every hour (or more) for 5-6 hours straight?

Completely dependent on the baby. For DS, yes, it was completely normal, and stayed "normal" until 18 months when I began weaning him from during the night feedings.

How soon did you move your baby(ies) to the crib if they slept somewhere else first? (and any tips for that?)

DS still sleeps with me part of the night, but with the next kiddo I will definitely be moving him to a bassinet, or a crib when he/she can roll back and forth, both ways, with ease. DS didn't learn to do that until 4-5 months, so if the next one follows suit, it would be around that time frame as well.

When did you stop swaddling?

I stopped swaddling around 4-5 months.

Should a 3 month old be sleeping longer increments by now?

Again, completely dependent on the baby. DS literally woke up every 1-2 hours to nurse until 18 months. There wasn't anything physically wrong with him so the pediatrician told me that some babies are just not good sleepers, and I just happen to be lucky enough to get one. Even after weaning DS of the night time feedings, he would still get up anywhere from 3-5 times a night, and he still does at 2 years old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast