Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 week old...sleeping flat

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

7 week old...sleeping flat

Advertisements
    ahh mommies help me out! My LO is 7 weeks old. We took her to the pedi. and he diagnosed her with reflux so hopefully her congestion sound and spitting up a lot will end, but he also said what she is sleeping in isn't that great for her. It was a inclinded like bassinet. It wan't flat and it could rock forward and back, but he said that it was scrunching her up more in half than inclining her whole body like we needed to. She HATES sleeping flat and on her back. She always wants to turn onto her side and she has to be slightly inclined. If I lay her flat she wakes right up and gets MADDDD.

So my question is, 1. how did you get your LO to sleep in their crib or another flat surface? I have inclined the bed and the pack n play thats in our bedroom by putting blankets under the matteress. I also have to prop her up to lay more on her right side since we was getting something that starts with a T lol. Essentially its a stiff neck on the one side and it was causing her face to start to droop and get flatter on one side (I honestly couldn't see it but the Ped. said it was mild and he could see the beginning of it so we should do things to keep it from getting worse now).

and 2. Anyone with reflux babies? How soon did Zantac start clearing them? Did they seem less fussy? Spit up a lot less?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It's been 12 years since my youngest was a baby but she was a reflux baby & still has reflux. So take my opinion however you'd like. We were always told the opposite of you, to keep her slightly inclined. Even for me, when I get heartburn, I can't lie flat or it makes it worse. If I am inclined just a little, it helps tremendously.

She was on Zantac as well but it took a good week or two before we started seeing improvement. And yes once we started slightly inclining her along with the Zantac, she started to not be so fussy, the spitting up slowed, etc. When she got older, the Zantac no longer worked so she was switched to Nexium.

I hope your little one starts to feel better soon!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

My son had mild Torticullis and what we did was used infant head support to help keep him looking forward vs turning his head to the side and in his crib, we flipped him to the opposite side so in order for him to look out of the crib he was looking to the left vs the right. He did have a flat head on one side and that didn't go fully completely away but now at 7, you can't even tell. He ALMOST had to have a helmet!

As for reflux, the zantac will get rid of the pain but it won't prevent her from spitting up. She does need to be inclined or sat up after shes done eating to help with the reflux.

I'm not too sure what to do to make her lay flat. I never forced my kids to lay any certain way. Ansley, after 2 months old, decided she wanted to tummy sleep so while that's NOT recommended, its what worked for her if we wanted to sleep
  4. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    It's been 12 years since my youngest was a baby but she was a reflux baby & still has reflux. So take my opinion however you'd like. We were always told the opposite of you, to keep her slightly inclined. Even for me, when I get heartburn, I can't lie flat or it makes it worse. If I am inclined just a little, it helps tremendously.

She was on Zantac as well but it took a good week or two before we started seeing improvement. And yes once we started slightly inclining her along with the Zantac, she started to not be so fussy, the spitting up slowed, etc. When she got older, the Zantac no longer worked so she was switched to Nexium.

I hope your little one starts to feel better soon!
    All 3 of mine have it and we were told the same thing, incline them. Keeping them flat doesn't help. Emma was on meds, not the other two, and it did really help her.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    sorry I realized I confused people with saying laying flat. after re reading it I confused myself lol. I do keep her inclined, but her crib and the pack n play are her whole body instead of how cradled up she was in the (I finally figured out what it is) Rock N Play. He said its not helping her reflux since its squishing her belly so she needed to be on something more flat that we could incline her more straight and whole body than her folding. She has been in the rock n play since we brought her home and laying on anything even an inclined pack n play or inclined crib she doesn't sleep as well.
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Torticollis is the T word...that I can help a bit with...as for how to get her to sleep, read other peoples advice

Any time you can encourage her to look the opposite way, do it. Feed her on the other side, toys, lights, voices, tv..anything you can to get her looking both ways. You can also kind of massage her neck muscles a bit to help loosen it up
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I dont know. Mine were always belly sleepers *gasp*. The only one who had trouble sleeping was Kaia, and that still hasnt gotten better and she is going on 5 now. Maybe you could get something to prop her sideways so she is flat but still upright?? You would have to keep flipping her for a bit. Swaddling would help her feel at ease also.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

You can put a rolled up blanket under the foot end rock n plays legs to help it not incline QUITE so much, and as she gets older and stronger the scrunching won't be an issue and you can just let her be in it normally.

9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    You can put a rolled up blanket under the foot end rock n plays legs to help it not incline QUITE so much, and as she gets older and stronger the scrunching won't be an issue and you can just let her be in it normally.
    This

DS has had reflux since about 4-5 months old if I recall correctly. Zantac took about 2-3 weeks to notice a real difference, but when it finally worked its way into his system, there's been a world of difference. A lot of infants grow out of it, but unfortunately DS has not, and we've had to increase his dosage several times as he's grown. I hope your LO starts showing improvement soon

10. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I swaddled Emmaleigh and she slept in her snugabunny swing. I say that in past tense like she isnt doing the same thing right now.

Anyway, shes not as scrunched up in the swing as she is in the rock n play. And it has enough of an incline that it helped for the few weeks we dealt with her reflux. Which turned out to be the result partially of my excessive eating of chocolate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast