Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Gas & painful poos! :(

1. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker

Gas & painful poos! :(

Advertisements
    Nolan screams bloody murder sometimes then toots a lot and poops. He went a few days without pooping and then was back to daily but they're HUGE blowout diapers. He is breastfed, I don't understand. The dr said it may have been all the new foods at thanksgiving but that shouldn't be doing anything now!

I started drinking more water like suggested and sure enough it got him pooping but he still seems so miserable sometimes. I don't know what to do...any insight?

2. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Are you a milk drinker or dairy person? It's possible he might have a milk sensitivity, since the protein it contains only shows up in human breastmilk when the mother ingests dairy products.

ETA: Just found this:

Dairy Allergy Symptoms

Some symptoms your baby might have if he is sensitive to dairy are:

Gassiness, gas pain or abdominal discomfort
    Crying, fussiness, or colic-like symptoms
    Green stools, mucus stools, or stools with blood in them
    Diarrhea or constipation
    Spitting up or vomiting
    Coughing, congestion, or cold-like symptoms
    Skin rashes
    Eczema
    Diaper rash

( http://www.justmommies.com/babies/da...#ixzz2mX9tbErI )

3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Babies also go through a LOT of digestive issues as they get older, since the digestive system is one of the most underdeveloped at birth. Hopefully it's short lived, but eliminating some common culprits from your diet can help pinpoint if there is anything he is sensitive too.

4. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I drink lactose free milk and I'll occasionally have ice cream or something with cheese....would occasional dairy be enough to upset his tummy? He's such a happy baby, it breaks my heart! The daycare provider says it's sad to see which makes me feel even worse.

Gassiness, gas pain or abdominal discomfort
    Crying, fussiness, or colic-like symptoms
    Diarrhea or constipation
    Spitting up or vomiting
    Coughing, congestion, or cold-like symptoms

He has all of those...he's been sort of congested but no cough, fever or anything. I feel helpless, I hate that he's ever uncomfortable
  5. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I drink lactose free milk and I'll occasionally have ice cream or something with cheese....would occasional dairy be enough to upset his tummy? He's such a happy baby, it breaks my heart! The daycare provider says it's sad to see which makes me feel even worse.
    Lactose intolerance and milk/dairy sensitivity are actually very different in breastfed babies. It's very rare that a baby is lactose intolerant, but they can have a sensitivity to dairy products, and even a small amount of dairy can cause issues if they have that sensitivity. They thought DS might've had it when he was a few months old, and it was definitely a challenge minimizing and eliminating dairy products, and if I remember correctly they told me it would take at least a week to see any kind of change in DS.

6. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I don't even know where to begin...do I eliminate ice cream,cheese & sour cream? I don't know...I guess those are the only dairy things I eat?
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    I don't even know where to begin...do I eliminate ice cream,cheese & sour cream? I don't know...I guess those are the only dairy things I eat?
    Basically.

Here's a great website for breastfeeding moms ( http://kellymom.com/ ). This is what they say about cows milk sensitivity and eliminating dairy:

Sensitivity to cow’s milk proteins

Breastfed babies who are sensitive to dairy in mom’s diet are sensitive to specific cow’s milk antibodies, in the form of proteins (not lactose), which pass into the mother’s milk. Cow’s milk (either in the mother’s diet or engineered into formula) is a common source of food sensitivity in babies. Cow’s milk sensitivity or allergy can cause colic-like symptoms, eczema, wheezing, vomiting, diarrhea (including bloody diarrhea), constipation, hives, and/or a stuffy, itchy nose.

If your baby is sensitive to dairy in your diet, it will not help to switch to lactose-free dairy products. The problem is the cow’s milk proteins, not the lactose. Cooking dairy products may reduce but will not eliminate the allergens.

A significant percentage of babies with cow’s milk protein allergy will also react to soy. Most dairy-allergic babies will also react to goat’s milk or sheep’s milk. Some will also react to beef.

If you think that your baby may be sensitive to dairy products in your diet, remember that it can take 10 days to 3 weeks to eliminate cow’s milk protein from your system—allow a full 2-3 weeks of dairy elimination before evaluating the results.

If your baby is only a little sensitive to dairy proteins, you may be able to relieve baby’s symptoms by eliminating only the obvious sources of dairy (milk, cream, yogurt, butter, cheese, sour cream, ice cream, cottage cheese, etc.); you may even be able to eat small amounts of dairy without it affecting baby.

If your baby is highly allergic, it will be necessary to eliminate all sources of dairy proteins, which requires a careful reading of food labels. See the Hidden Dairy “Cheat Sheet” ().

If you’ve cut out dairy because your breastfed baby is sensitive to cow’s milk proteins, you may be able to phase it back in after a few months. Many dairy-sensitive babies outgrow their sensitivity by 6-18 months, and most outgrow it by 3 years.

If you reintroduce dairy into your diet and baby reacts, cut out dairy products again for at least another month. If baby’s allergy to cow’s milk protein via breastmilk is severe, it’s best to wait at least 6 months before trying to reintroduce dairy. For allergic babies, avoiding the allergen makes it less likely that baby will develop a lifelong or life threatening allergy.

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...d-sensitivity/

8. Senior Member
    Sounds very similar to what was going on with Aidan until we found out he was allergic to all dairy and soy protein. I was no longer bfing by then, but, yes, cut all dairy. Even traces. No creamer in your coffee, no milk on cereal, look at all ingredients in everything you eat to see if there is any traces of anything dairy.
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Yes cut all dairy for starters. And it can take 2 weeks for something you eat to be completely out of your system.