Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daycare Question/ Advice

1. Regular Member
    He is currently stationed at fort hood but I am still home in Maryland
    Blog Entries

Daycare Question/ Advice

Advertisements
    Hello,
    So I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and my husband is deployed. I am due on February 14, 2014 and will be starting a new full time job as soon as i will be up on my feet after baby boy is born. I have been looking at daycare centers and they are all pretty expensive. Is there any type of assistance offered for daycare in the military? Did any one else have this problem?
    Thanks in advance for any advice
  2. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Military daycares already have a sliding scale where they base the price off your income. I worked at one for 6 years and am not aware of any discounts, but I was back in a room not up front, so their may be discount programs. Isn't there government assistance for daycare? Or was it a tax break...hmmm, not sure..

3. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to do some research on this but figured since everyone here is so helpful I would ask for advice also. I don't live where my husband is based, I stayed home because its close to family and friends and i'm new to all of this so it's a bit overwhelming right now lol. I'll have to see where the closest military daycares are to where I live or will be working. thanks for your help
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    Hello,
    So I am currently 27 weeks pregnant and my husband is deployed. I am due on February 14, 2014 and will be starting a new full time job as soon as i will be up on my feet after baby boy is born. I have been looking at daycare centers and they are all pretty expensive. Is there any type of assistance offered for daycare in the military? Did any one else have this problem?
    Thanks in advance for any advice
    Childcare can be cost prohibitive Other than the CDCs on military installations, it is unlikely you will find any sort of discounted services based solely on your husband's choice of careers.
    Last edited by Ol' Grey Mare; 11-15-2013 at 01:08 PM.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    here is a link that may be able to help-

What programs are available | Our Nations Leading Voice For Child Care

adding in the assistance is based on income- the higher income the lower the reimbursement- and this program pays for child care if there is not a CDC available.
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    I'm going to do some research on this but figured since everyone here is so helpful I would ask for advice also. I don't live where my husband is based, I stayed home because its close to family and friends and i'm new to all of this so it's a bit overwhelming right now lol. I'll have to see where the closest military daycares are to where I live or will be working. thanks for your help
    Definitely check out the CDCs because they're a lot less expensive, generally speaking.
    How often do you work? Maybe a MMO type of thing could work too. You said you were close to family/friends, right? Would they be willing to help out a little? I know my mom offered to pick DS up from a church preschool and keep him for the afternoon, since their hours were 9-1 or 2. That was a REALLY inexpensive option, and nice because it included a faith-based curriculum and not just daycare.

7. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I saw on your side bar you're in Maryland but will be in Fort Hood, is that correct?

In Texas, we have a Child Care Management Service (CCMS) program that helps lower income families subsidize some of the costs of child care, it's based on income so say if for some reason you weren't able to put your child in daycare on post you could go down an alternative route and find a daycare center that accepts CCMS and that would help that way. But it's based on income so you'd have to look up the income scale for them to see what the limitations are on that!

Other wise, I agree with everyone else about researching on post child care, I've just heard the wait is ridiculous for some!

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    agree with the others... assistance is based on income, and its generally comparative to the qualifications for wic and/or food stamps. the CDC on base would be cheapest, and that's also based on income, but likely the highest amount to pay could be cheaper than off base.

I live in NoVA and I found the daycare off base was cheaper than the CDC, and more reliable/better. In this area (DMV) expect to pay at least $250 per week for your child, if not more, even at the CDC.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    You might be able to find some subsidized child care programs through the state you will be living in - BUT since your family will have 2 incomes coming in, you may not qualify. They are usually for low income families.
  10. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    @KaityBug, I am close to friends and family and trying to see if they can help out some. My mom is handicapped and lives with her parents and theyre in their 80s, they said that they would be willing to help but i'm afraid that would be too much work for them. My mother in law could help out some in the summers, she works at a school and does the same thing in the summer but for summer school and has less hours then. Everyone else also has a full time job and wouldnt be able to watch him while i'm at work. I'm gonna be working 9-6 monday-friday for the first 6-8 weeks then after that i'll get either an earlier shift or a later shift depending on my training.

@amandalouwho2, Yes, I am in MD while he is at Fort Hood when he isn't on deployment. I don't think I am going to be moving to Fort Hood though because not long after he gets back from deployment his contract is going to be up and he will be coming home. Maybe if I can't find on post child care they might have programs like CCMS here as well.

Thanks for your help and advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast