Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Not nursing much during the day...

:)
    Blog Entries

Not nursing much during the day...

Advertisements
    Is it normal for a baby to not nurse much during the day but want to pig out at night? The past couple day Ziva nurses for 5 to 10 minutes during the day then falls asleep but at night she keeps me up until 1 to 2am wanting to nurse. Last night I changed my shirt 3 times because she would want to keep nursing and would spit up on me. I tried to swaddle her, give her a binky, put her in her swing, put her in her crib and tried holding her. The only thing that calmed her down was nursing.

I was getting frustrated last night because I didn't want to be used as a binky but I am thinking she was just hungry since she doesn't seem to eat much during the day but she still has at least 6 wet diapers so maybe she is getting enough...idk my milked dried up after 6 weeks with MDD so this is the longest I have had milk so everything is so different then with the other 2. I felt like a horrible mommy last night getting frustrated I don't get much sleep at night since DH works nights and sleeps during the day. I feel like after a 6 weeks NICU stay that I shouldn't be getting frustrated or upset with her because she is home and other babies are still there

So is it normal to not eat as much during the day or should I go back to giving her bottles after nursing? She has only had a couple bottle this past week and I would hate to have to start back bottle feeding after all the hard work getting her to latch and nurse but I will do it if I have to.

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  2. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I am part of a breastfeeding support group onfacebook and one of the ladies on there said it is perfectly normal for a baby to be more fussy/seemingly hungry in the evenings because the milk you produce in the evenings is different from that which is produced overnight or in the mornings.

In the mornings you produce a higher quantity but it is less fatty. Evenings, more fatty and less quantity, at night is when you produce your best milk which is probably why she is stopping at 1 or 2 am. Emmaleigh did this for about a week and I tried block feeding and it worked for us. I dont recommend it though because its supposed to cause a decrease in supply.

I also read that its just plain normal for a baby (breast or formula fed) to be fussy towards the end of the evening. Something about overstimulation combined with the change in atmosphere between day time and evening.

I have no clue how accurate any of this is, its all just stuff I read/was told by an LC. Good luck and I hope she settles into a bit better of a routine soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    I am part of a breastfeeding support group onfacebook and one of the ladies on there said it is perfectly normal for a baby to be more fussy/seemingly hungry in the evenings because the milk you produce in the evenings is different from that which is produced overnight or in the mornings.

In the mornings you produce a higher quantity but it is less fatty. Evenings, more fatty and less quantity, at night is when you produce your best milk which is probably why she is stopping at 1 or 2 am. Emmaleigh did this for about a week and I tried block feeding and it worked for us. I dont recommend it though because its supposed to cause a decrease in supply.

I also read that its just plain normal for a baby (breast or formula fed) to be fussy towards the end of the evening. Something about overstimulation combined with the change in atmosphere between day time and evening.

I have no clue how accurate any of this is, its all just stuff I read/was told by an LC. Good luck and I hope she settles into a bit better of a routine soon.
    Thank you! Last night was a little better. She was mostly cranky while daddy was home last night and was finally passed out before 11:30pm and didn't wake to eat until 4:30 this morning. It was nice that DH got to see what I was going through...since she usually doesn't get cranky like that until after he leaves for work.

4. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I don't know but I wanted to say regardless of her rough start you're entitled to feel frustrated! I got SO frustrated with Nolan yesterday. I snapped at DH the second he got home, laid the baby on the couch saying "I'm done" and went to bed. It's HARD when they're fussy! Nolan was on my boob every hour and I have no idea if he was actually getting anything. His feeding schedule is changing from every 2-3 hours to every 3-4 hours and sometimes he just wants a snack and other times he nurses 20 minutes.
    Some nights he wakes up at 1 and 5, other nights he's up hourly starting at 2 am.

It's frustrating not being 100% they're getting what they need!!

Blog Entries
    She gained 2oz in a week which worried me but the LC said she gained 2lbs in a month so everything is ok. Things are better....she has been going to bed a little before 11pm and not waking to eat until 4 to 5am. She does still get super fussy before bed but the LC thinks she is about to or is going through a growth spurt since she is almost 3 months old.

6. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    Thank you! Last night was a little better. She was mostly cranky while daddy was home last night and was finally passed out before 11:30pm and didn't wake to eat until 4:30 this morning. It was nice that DH got to see what I was going through...since she usually doesn't get cranky like that until after he leaves for work.
    Im glad he got a taste of it. I know with Emmaleigh part of my problem was I was getting very frustrated that I felt like the only parent because he was working so much.
    But I think it helped for me to just tell him how I felt, and once I de-stressed a little, she seemed to calm down a little as well.

Also, it is good to let her use you as a human pacifier (I dont know if I read that). She is probably going through or just got finished with a growth spurt and her sucking all of the time stimulates your breasts to make more milk. As long as its not painful and you can handle it, let her do it. I know that I was getting flustered that Emma was ALWAYS latched. I had one day where she was latched for every moment that she was not asleep. I let her do it after a LC told me to, and three days after the constant sucking started, my supply started to creep up. At one week after, my supply seemingly doubled. I went from pumping 1.5 ounces total to pumping four ounces total whenever I did pump.

Just keep your head up and keep in mind that, even though it didnt work out last time(s), your body is made for this. Ziva will guide you in what you need.

(I sound like I know all this stuff, but its really because I just went through the same type of frustration myself.)
    A lot of the information I learned was from a facebook group Im in. Its a WIC lactation consultant's group for breastfeeding support in my area. Try looking one up in your area. It has given me a wealth of knowledge and support when I just felt like giving up.

7. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    Im glad he got a taste of it. I know with Emmaleigh part of my problem was I was getting very frustrated that I felt like the only parent because he was working so much.
    But I think it helped for me to just tell him how I felt, and once I de-stressed a little, she seemed to calm down a little as well.

Also, it is good to let her use you as a human pacifier (I dont know if I read that). She is probably going through or just got finished with a growth spurt and her sucking all of the time stimulates your breasts to make more milk. As long as its not painful and you can handle it, let her do it. I know that I was getting flustered that Emma was ALWAYS latched. I had one day where she was latched for every moment that she was not asleep. I let her do it after a LC told me to, and three days after the constant sucking started, my supply started to creep up. At one week after, my supply seemingly doubled. I went from pumping 1.5 ounces total to pumping four ounces total whenever I did pump.

Just keep your head up and keep in mind that, even though it didnt work out last time(s), your body is made for this. Ziva will guide you in what you need.

(I sound like I know all this stuff, but its really because I just went through the same type of frustration myself.)
    A lot of the information I learned was from a facebook group Im in. Its a WIC lactation consultant's group for breastfeeding support in my area. Try looking one up in your area. It has given me a wealth of knowledge and support when I just felt like giving up.
    Yep, Nolan is going through this! He's currently latched...I have him laying on a boppy and I'm sort of leaning over typing

I swear he just wants to cuddle via my boob