Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talk to me about baby blues

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

talk to me about baby blues

Advertisements
    Hey ladies. So I'm struggling with baby blues I didn't think I would but sure enough I have them. so what was your expierence with it? How did you feel? How long did it last? Anything help? Hardest part is DH works thirds and my anxiety is worse at night so every time he leaves for work I'm a mess. just feeling alone with these blues.
  2. Senior Member
    I read somewhere it is normal to have an emotional period, I think up to two weeks. It's the hormones leaving your body. That said if it lasts more than 2 weeks you are supposed to see your doctor. I cried for weeks because I was exhausted, the baby has colic and tummy issues, and DH was working all the time and couldn't help at night. I didn't think I had the blues, I thought I was just exhausted. I would hold the baby and cry while he screamed. That made me cry more because I felt like I had no one here to help, and it made me miss my family. If you feel like you are going to hurt yourself or the baby seek help sooner. I still have moments, but usually it's less than 3 times a week. It was it's worse when baby was 5 weeks for me.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yeah its hard without DH home. I cry all the time just scared of everything new. I am not a person who handles change well anyway. on top of that I have anxiety and haven't been on any medication while pregnant so its taking a toll. But I love her so much it helps keep me going
  4. Senior Member
    I think mine lasted about 2 weeks. I didn't bond with her at all, didn't wanna hold her, passed her off when she would cry instead of soothing her myself, etc. I basically didn't care, didn't feel like I loved her, and resented everything. Part of my problem though was I had too much "help". DH's parents were here the first week after she was born and insisted on holding her every minute of the day. I know they were just excited but it prevented me from creating a bond that I think would have helped those first few weeks. After the first two weeks though it all seemed to feel better. I had moments after that where I struggled and really thought hard about getting on medication but I pushed through it. I definitely agree with talking to your doctor if you feel like it's something more especially since you're familiar with your body/mind and what's normal for you!
  5. Senior Member
    I would worry about everything in the beginning too. I think it is JUST beginning to go away now, but every night when I put him to sleep I still watch him breath because I'm scared of SIDS. There was a night about 3 weeks ago where I didn't think he was breathing right and tried to wake him up and he wouldn't wake and I began crying and called my mom telling her I thought he was dying. I haven't felt so irrational about things in a long time, but everyone has said the feelings are normal. I hope you find some relief, and if you're really worried I would call your doctor. They can assess if you need medication or not and tell you if what you are feeling is normal.

6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Mine lasted about 3 weeks. My emotions were all over the place, but a lot of that has to do with the huge hormone shifts you're going through the first couple of weeks postpartum. When is your postpartum appointment? If it's 4 weeks or so after you gave birth, I'd give it until then, and if you're still feeling this way, talk to your doctor about it

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My appointment is 6 weeks out with my ob but I have one for her in two weeks. I have been talking with my family doctor about it. I want to get back on my regular anxiety meds to see if that helps keep me level. I keep telling g myself this is just the stage of after delivery and it will pass but in the moment it doesn't seem like it will.
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha514 View Post
    My appointment is 6 weeks out with my ob but I have one for her in two weeks. I have been talking with my family doctor about it. I want to get back on my regular anxiety meds to see if that helps keep me level. I keep telling g myself this is just the stage of after delivery and it will pass but in the moment it doesn't seem like it will.

well, I just want you know that what you're feeling is very normal for a lot of mom's after delivery, so you're not alone in it I don't think that talking to a doctor about your anxiety meds would hurt though if that's something you think might be helpful to you.

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm pretty much a worst case scenario Mine developed into severe postpartum depression and I didn't completely come out of it until Aubs was about 18ish months old.
    Postpartum anxiety (PPA) is a legitimate, diagnosable illness, so if you were already at high risk for anxiety issues, keep an eye out for that and talk to your doctor about it.
    Honestly, though, they say not to worry in the first two weeks-- it's if it lasts a month or so that something other than normal baby blues could be going on. Either way, I'd just keep your doc in the loop and stay humble and unafraid to accept help when you need it.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ladies. its just good to know I'm not alone in how I'm feeling. it will feel like no one understands and bless DH for being so understanding and patient. hopefully this will all settle soon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast