Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeeding Questions!

:)
    Blog Entries

Breastfeeding Questions!

Advertisements
    Yep....Miss Ziva and I are still working on breast feeding. Last 3 feedings have been just from the breast with no bottle after but still confused on some things.

How did you know your LOs were done eating? I use to time her feedings and now I just let her eat until she falls asleep or kinda pushes away...is that ok?

My LC told me to pump after each feeding to make sure I am empty but sometimes an hour or 2 later Ziva wants to eats again...will there be enough milk stored back up for her to eat and be full?

It still hurts to nurse her on the right side. Sometimes it hurts so bad I want to cry and others it's bare able. LC told me to use a nipple shield on that side but it's still painful. For a little while I would only nurse on the left side and pump the right but I want to be bottle free except for storage bottles. How can I make it less painful?

Public nursing....how can I become less shy about it? I told myself when I was pregnant that I would nurse anytime my baby was hungry no matter where I was but tried to nurse her at the doctors office yesterday and had some issues when I got nervous What can I use to cover us that won't slip while I try to get her to latch or where I don't feel like she is gonna suffocate?

I try to feed her before we leave but sometimes she gets hungry while we are out. I was expecting BF to be this hard when it's my 3rd baby

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    NuRoo Nursing Scarf - Grey - NuRoo - Babies "R" Us
    I'll try and answer the other questions after dinner, but my friend recently posted this product! In theory you could use almost any scarf as a "cover" practice practice practice at home to get comfortable
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I had this one when I was nursing DS in public:

Bebe au Lait Nursing Cover - Mint Chocolate - Bebe Au Lait - Babies "R" Us

I love it because it kept you covered, but the band at the top allowed you to still be able to watch your baby nurse without everyone else seeing.

Even wearing the cover at first, I was really nervous and a bit unsettled doing it, but after a few weeks, I just didn't care anymore. It's just a matter of the more you do it, the more comfortable you'll get with it.

How did you know your LOs were done eating? I use to time her feedings and now I just let her eat until she falls asleep or kinda pushes away...is that ok?

My LC told me to pump after each feeding to make sure I am empty but sometimes an hour or 2 later Ziva wants to eats again...will there be enough milk stored back up for her to eat and be full?
    I let DS nurse until he de-latched himself or fell asleep. That was the only way I knew when he was done nursing.

Wanting to eat an hour or two after being done nursing sounds completely normal to me. Landon nursed about every 2-4 hours for the first 6 months, and every hour if he was going through a growth spurt. The more regularly she nurses in those time frames, the more milk will be produced. It usually takes a day or two for your milk to adjust to the change, but basically, your milk follows the lead of your nursing infant. If she's nursing more, it will produce more to compensate. If she's nursing less, it will start producing less.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How I knew Aubs was done-- Before she got a bunch (6+) of teeth, I just waited until she popped herself off. Afterwards, I would wait until there was no mouth motion for 15 or 20 seconds, then use my finger to pop her off.

Your boobs will make as much milk as she needs. Nurse as often as Ziva needs to, drink LOTS of water, and your supply should increase just fine. If you find that you're lacking, make lactation cookies!

What made nursing less painful for me was: 1) Make sure your nipples are drying all the way between feedings. If that means disposable inserts rather than cloth and changing them after every feeding, then that's what it means. 2) Find the best position for you guys. This was the only one that took away my nipple pain:

I used the layered tank top method for quite a while (I also used a cover, but the shirt method was more convenient). You wear a tshirt or something, then a cami under it. You lift up the tshirt and use it to cover the top of the breast while the tank top covers your stomach and everything-- little to nothing shows Like this:

​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    Yep....Miss Ziva and I are still working on breast feeding. Last 3 feedings have been just from the breast with no bottle after but still confused on some things.

It still hurts to nurse her on the right side. Sometimes it hurts so bad I want to cry and others it's bare able. LC told me to use a nipple shield on that side but it's still painful. For a little while I would only nurse on the left side and pump the right but I want to be bottle free except for storage bottles. How can I make it less painful?

Public nursing....how can I become less shy about it? I told myself when I was pregnant that I would nurse anytime my baby was hungry no matter where I was but tried to nurse her at the doctors office yesterday and had some issues when I got nervous What can I use to cover us that won't slip while I try to get her to latch or where I don't feel like she is gonna suffocate?

I try to feed her before we leave but sometimes she gets hungry while we are out. I was expecting BF to be this hard when it's my 3rd baby
    Waiting till she pulls off or falls asleep is fine. You can always try to see if she wants the other breast but if not that's okay too! I've always let my boys eat till they're finished and didn't put them on a set time. Sometimes they will eat a bit too much and spit up but that's okay.

You do not need to pump after each feeding unless you're having supply issues and want to work on building it up. Unless you have supply issues you really don't have to worry about not having enough milk since there will always be milk. It's supply and demand. If you keep pumping you'll make more milk than baby needs. Your body will also even out after awhile when it knows how much milk your baby needs. Some people can't get much milk while pumping but it doesn't always mean there's nothing there. I can sometimes maybe get an oz out and sometimes 4oz. That doesn't mean there's nothing there.

I personally use a breast feeding cover. Mine has a little wire in the top part that leaves the top open a bit so I can look down on him as he eats. I love that! Sometimes if I don't have the cover I'll try using a jacket or blanket. Other times I just don't care and will feed him without a cover at all. It all depends on your comfort.

Not sure about the pain. I had pain for a couple months with my first but it was on both sides. Since you're fine on one side and not the other maybe it's the latch? Sorry not much help with that. I think with my first he had a lip tie which caused the pain and issues. The shield didn't help at all for the pain even though for others it has.

Babies eat a lot! You just feed them when they're hungry. For me when we drive out of town it's a long drive and although I pump in the car and give him a bottle but he just won't take a bottle. lol So we sometimes end up having to pull over so I can breast feed him.

This is the cover I got. They have deals all the time where you get it for free and just pay shipping. It's a pretty light cover so nothing too heavy and hot.
    https://www.uddercovers.com/cart

Free cover code is PJBABY so you pay shipping only which is $11.95
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mine would fall asleep or unlatch themselves. YDD is 13 months and the only time now she will nurse til she falls asleep is for her nap or bedtime. Other than that she just unlatches. I do switch after 5-10 minutes but sometimes she doesn't want it. When really little I'd wait 10-15 minutes before switching.

I was never very comfortable nursing in public but there were times I had no choice. I had a cover that had a strap to go over my neck. It was big enough I stayed covered and dark enough it couldn't be seen through. I also still to this day and even at home use layers. I have regular spaghetti strap shirts and nursing ones. Also, the baby could nurse in the ergo and nobody could see anything.

One thing that helped with my supply was always putting the baby to the boob. I have even been able to pump extra milk. Which she had never drank cause she have never taken a bottle but it was there. Sometimes I had to pump cause I had so much and she was done nursing or sleeping. The first couple months is what really set up my supply and after that was just maintaining. It gets easier.
  7. Senior Member
    All the ladies answered nicely...

I always fed my kids until THEY let me know they were done...by refusing or falling asleep.

If you choose to pump till empty it will increase your milk supply so if you're interested in building up milk supply and storing, then yes by all means! (might feel better too if LO doesn't "finish") an hour or two later if baby wants to eat again that's fine....she'll get enough for a "snack" and your body will respond to the frequent feedings by further increasing your supply and producing quicker. She won't starve, I promise!

Your body just has to get used to it or you have to deal. My left nipple cracked and bled the entire 14 months I fed my daughter. Use creams like lanolin and keep an eye on it so you don't develop infections or mastitis. Eventually it should stop hurting as much.

They have awesome covers that have wires in them near your neck that cover you but hold the cover out so baby isn't "sealed" in (maybe that's what the others were talking about but I didn't click the links. I actually MADE my own so if you sew and want the pattern let me know. It takes like 20-30 minutes to make. The tank top under shirt thing is good too.
    Last edited by KissTheRain; 10-30-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add in quotes

Visit My Fitness Like Page for fitness tips and inspiration and Visit My New Fitness Blog
  8. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

So far there is awesome advice but I just wanted to share as well

At first I was instantly ready to take her off as soon as she stopped sucking, but then I realized that she was mostly getting foremilk. So I started just letting her eat until she wanted to push off or fell into a deep enough sleep that the suction went away. Then I take her off. If she starts to stir I put her back on immediately because sometimes she just wants to comfort nurse which stimulates milk supply

I was told that babies are designed to cluster feed. It increases your supply as well as decreases the length of time it takes to refill. There will be plenty. If she wants to stay on for what seems like forever, I was told we should let them because it stimulates milk production.

That is something I have no experience with but I hope you can find a solution

I get nervous because for some reason so many people seem offended by it. I try to use a blanket but it is so hard. So usually I just find a remote corner. Im hoping that I will become less shy over time but who knows. I wish you the best of luck in this and if you find any more tips, share them!

Keep trucking. You are doing awesome. Seriously awesome