Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about probiotics

1. Senior Member

Talk to me about probiotics *1 week update in OP

Advertisements
    Motherhood has been... difficult to say the least. The last week has been hell. We have been to the ER twice- once for crying for 8 hours straight, once for vomiting 10 times in a row. We have had problems with oversupply and overactive letdown, he was misdiagnosed with pyloric stenosis, he is being monitored for a milk protein intolerance, the ped wants him to go on a special formula, but I refuse to give up breastfeeding, he has mucosy stools, we have already had thrush and diaper rash, and and the list goes on. Today the ped said he definitely has colic. He recommended Biogaia probiotics. He said probiotics have been studied in EBF babies who have colic and research over the last 2 years is promising. Baby doesn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time, he screams inconsolably, is gassy even wit gas drops, and has violent poops. I WAS given antibiotics for GBS and there seems to be research showing babies whose mothers received antibiotics during labor are missing good bacteria in their gut. Anyone try probiotics for babies with colic and had success? I will try almost anything, besides giving up breastfeeding. I HAVE given up dairy, soy, and gassy vegetables. I am also in the process of giving up chocolate.

***UPDATE
    Just a follow up for anyone wondering if the probiotics are working. All of the research online with these drops never gave a followup besides the research. IMO I would rather hear real peoples stories as opposed to research the company conducts. Everything says the probiotics should be working by 3-4 weeks. I can definitely tell a difference and we are only a week in. He no longer has his predictable 8-10pm crying period at night (he actually hasn't "screamed" for 2 days now, just cries a bit and is easy to calm down), he slept 6.5 hours the other night (averaging about 5 hour stretches the last 3 nights), he isn't as gassy as before and it doesn't bother him to pass gas (no more gas drops either ), he isn't projectile vomiting and rarely spits up, and his poop is beginning to look "normal". It no longer is consistently mucousy, and is back to mustard yellow. It barely has a smell too which is what breastfed babies poo is supposed to smell like. It will take up to 3 more weeks for the dairy to completely be out of my system so I am attributing most of the changes to the probiotics at this point. I am still not eating dairy or soy, and plan on continuing to NOT eat dairy for the next month and slowly introduce it to see if it is truly a milk protein and soy allergy. I wish I would have listened to the doctor when they first told me to get the probiotics. Bottom line- I would have lost my mind if I was still barely sleeping and had a baby screaming his head off most of the day. I owe the company who makes these drops everything for letting me keep my sanity. From what I've read, these drops aren't available in the states, but probiotics and colic are being studied in great depth here and in Europe. If we have another child who has colic I am going to beg the pediatrician to find baby probiotics in the states, or I will be making frequent trips to Canada! Thank you all for your input and suggestions.
    Last edited by His[♥]Love; 10-31-2013 at 08:27 AM.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Could the baby possibly have a gluten intolerance? I've heard of gluten allergies being REALLY awful in babies' GI tracts when they have them-- and I have heard that that passes through the milk, so BFing moms have to give up gluten if that's the case. Can they do the allergy test where they prick his back with allergens and look for a reaction? That way, you cut out the guesswork and know exactly what to cut out-- that's what a few of my friends ended up having to do with their kiddos. Another big allergy for kids is egg! A good friend of mine, her daughter has an anaphylactic reaction to eggs, soy, and milk. But yeah, eggs and gluten are both big possibilities. I'd ask for the allergy test.

ETA:

Aubs was constantly crying (10-12 hrs per day on average) for the first solid 6 months, so I totally feel your pain. It is awful and mind-breaking.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Senior Member
    They didn't mention gluten. I will ask when we go back for our followup! I don't eat egg directly often, but can try looking into ingredients when I look for soy and milk products. Thank you!

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by His[♥]Love View Post
    They didn't mention gluten. I will ask when we go back for our followup! I don't eat egg directly often, but can try looking into ingredients when I look for soy and milk products. Thank you!
    Oh yeah, my friend whose girl is allergic to egg (I actually have two friends with kids allergic to eggs, one it's her son, the other it's her daughter, but my friend with the daughter talks about it more), she has to look on ingredients for EVERYTHING to look for egg-- even a lot of candy like Laffy Taffy has egg in it. Her daughter got a few crumbs of her brother's muffin (made with eggs in it) a few weeks ago and she broke out in a rash all over her face. When they're little babies, though, and they're BFing, the allergy can just show up as horrible stomach cramps, explosive mucusy/green poos, gas, a lot of crying, etc. They don't generally get the rashes yet (though they can get diaper rash around their poo from foods they're allergic to).
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Senior Member
    Oh man, that sucks. I don't have experience with probiotics but I hope it helps.

I do have experience with milk protein allergy, however. DD had it. I exclusively breastfed, and she was a miserable baby who projectile vomited several times a day. They also ruled out pyloric stenosis. I cut all milk and dairy out of my diet, and it didn't make a difference. I mean I was an OCD label reader. I didn't even eat chocolate. Then after hearing that about half of babies who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy, I cut all soy out of my diet, including all those soy by-products in processed foods. No change. She had never even taken a bottle before, but when she was around 4 months, I finally broke down and bought Alimentum formula. Literally after just a few days, she was a new baby. She was happy, and she completely stopped puking, her stools went back to normal. It was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that in our situation, breastfeeding was not what was best for my baby, but that was the case. She was happier and definitely healthier on the hypoallergenic formula.

I hope you can find a solution that doesn't mean stopping breastfeeding. But know that if it comes down to it, if your baby is happy and healthy, that's what matters.
  6. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Have you tried Colic Calm? My son doesn't have colic but he does get more gassy than my first did and that's what worked the best for me. I'm so proud of you for continuing breast feeding even with all these issues. I can't imagine how stressful that must be. For you to give up so much to do what you feel is best for your baby makes you super mom imo. I hope you can figure things out and get things better.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLea View Post
    Oh man, that sucks. I don't have experience with probiotics but I hope it helps.

I do have experience with milk protein allergy, however. DD had it. I exclusively breastfed, and she was a miserable baby who projectile vomited several times a day. They also ruled out pyloric stenosis. I cut all milk and dairy out of my diet, and it didn't make a difference. I mean I was an OCD label reader. I didn't even eat chocolate. Then after hearing that about half of babies who are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy, I cut all soy out of my diet, including all those soy by-products in processed foods. No change. She had never even taken a bottle before, but when she was around 4 months, I finally broke down and bought Alimentum formula. Literally after just a few days, she was a new baby. She was happy, and she completely stopped puking, her stools went back to normal. It was hard for me to come to terms with the fact that in our situation, breastfeeding was not what was best for my baby, but that was the case. She was happier and definitely healthier on the hypoallergenic formula.

I hope you can find a solution that doesn't mean stopping breastfeeding. But know that if it comes down to it, if your baby is happy and healthy, that's what matters.
    That is the formula the ped wants me to try. I feel like my baby should be able to have the milk my body is making for him, they tell you breast milk is the best thing for your baby and never talk about what happens if it isn't while you're pregnant. I feel defeated that it is making him sick. I am going to try this 6 more weeks as long as he continues to gain weight and his health doesn't deteriorate. He HAS gained 4 lbs in 6 weeks. Probiotics should take about 4 weeks to fully work. If he gets sicker with my diet changes and the probiotics, formula will be the route I take. It is a last resort, but if it's best for him I will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by =Mrs.AiNokeA= View Post
    Have you tried Colic Calm? My son doesn't have colic but he does get more gassy than my first did and that's what worked the best for me. I'm so proud of you for continuing breast feeding even with all these issues. I can't imagine how stressful that must be. For you to give up so much to do what you feel is best for your baby makes you super mom imo. I hope you can figure things out and get things better.
    We live overseas and haven't seen colic calm. We use little tummies dye/artificial flavor free gas drops. They seem to work as long as I use them every feeding and it took about days to work. I will check out amazon and see if I can have it shipped here. Thank you, I just want to do what is best for the little guy. If it can be resolved by giving up certain foods it will be worth it. Plus, it may help me lose the baby weight if I have a reason to stay away from chocolate

8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    When Dylan had an ear infection last month the ER docs gave him an antibiotic that's dosage amount totally screwed with his system. His ped put him on Culturelle powder for his bottle and it started working almost immediately.

9. Senior Member
    Everything I read online said it would take about a month. His poops are already back to the right color, and much less mucosy than last night. It has only been about 7 hours since I gave him his first dose. Hoping this is the beginning of good things!

10. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Are you yourself also taking probiotics? If not, that may be worth considering.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast