Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Woes.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Breastfeeding Woes.

Advertisements
    It's just not everything I expected it to be... I love having my little man snugged up with me and the closeness I feel, but it's just not really working.

He won't latch, I saw and flashed about 50 different nurses and people my boobs in the hospital and no one was able to actually help. We use a shield and that's the only way for him to feed off me. Now though he picks at the shield and pops it off, milk everywhere and an unhappy baby. He tries to stay on for near an hour and I know he's not feeding that long but just comfort sucking.. It gets really exhausting to feed on both sides and then pump after. Especially at night.

The shield kind of sucks, his ped told me he's gassy most likely from the shield while feeding. We tried another brand to help with air intake but it was only having him take the nipple and that was so painful for me I couldn't relax enough.

The LC at the hospital (had an appt yesterday) said I'm producing more than enough milk, he just doesn't like me directly. We got him to latch sort I without the shield but I haven't been able to since her office. It just sucks, he's lost a pound and I feel like I'm failing him. He seems to eat so much but the LC said she thinks it's fore milk rather than hind milk. She wants me to squeeze to get him to take more milk when he is feeding but he chokes and pulls away so I'm not doing that. DH also still has to supplement finger feeds, taking what I pump and giving him an extra ounce with the syringe and tube.

Tonight he wouldn't even latch on with the shield though on our "favorite" side and I started crying. I feel like I'm failing him and like this time that I love sharing isn't going to last long. I'm ready to give up and just bottle feed what I pump. It seriously breaks my heart, I didn't expect it to be this hard. Especially seeing all these other momma's tall about how teir little ones "feed like champs" immediately after birth. We go back again next week and if he hasn't gained enough we have to talk about "other options." Of it comes to it I really hope I can keep pumping enough to keep him off formula but whatever is best for him is what I'll do.

This whole ordeal really isn't helping with my hormones, either.
  2. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I seriously wish I had some great advice to give you, but unfortunately we had almost the exact same issues. I wasn't going to even reply because I didn't want to discourage you at all; however, I also want you to know that you definitely are not alone. I really hope you guys can figure out a way for BFing to work if that's what you want.

3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

How is his latch? Is he tongue-tied? It is often the cause for a lot of breastfeeding struggles, but one particular kind, posterior, is very hard to detect even by most trained LCs. I was fortunate to be living in an area where there was a tongue-tie expert (LC) and an ENT familiar with posterior tongue-tie when I had Henry. Actually, there are only three, at least back in '10, ENTs/Peds that correct them on the entire East Coast. It was the cause of all of our major breastfeeding hurdles, and it sucked ass big time. He ended up jaundiced, lost a lot of weight, was declared FTT, I pumped full time/part time, supplemented, and then returned him to the breast/stopped pumping entirely when he was 5.5 months old, where he nursed successfully until 21 months.
    Pax, Aeon
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I can relate. Breastfeeding is really freakin hard, and MOST babies feed like champs when they first come out. They are hungry and have NEVER eaten before, of course they do. Most of those babies also have trouble later. It's so normal, and I know that doesn't solve your problems to know that, but you definitely aren't alone. Do you have another mom in your life who has breastfed before that would be willing to come over and help you? Or can you call the hospital and see if they can help you find an LC that will come to your house? Learning in the hospital is really overwhelming, especially when you are dealing with complications after birth like you did, and it's much easier to have someone come to your house and teach you in your own environment. I was personally more comfortable with a close friend who was a breastfeeding pro helping me than an LC I didn't know, but an LC may be a lot more knowledgeable depending on who you have close to you.

As you know, I ended up EP with Kalista because she had more than one issue with her mouth that just ended up making latching impossible. If that is the route you end up going, there is NO shame in that. Pumping is hard work, too, and it is admirable that you would do that for your baby. Feeding him is always the right thing to do, the best thing to do, no matter HOW you do it. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are doing awesome. It's just that BFing is a terribly hard thing to do sometimes, both of you are learning how to feed at the same time and all of that mixed with the hormones and emotions post birth make it a pretty overwhelming experience sometimes. You are a good mom.

5. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I wish I had more advice, other than just spend some time googling and trying out diff things.. diff holds... Hang in there sweetie!
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Ijust want to add, while I have no personal experience, I've heard SO many stories of difficulties. My mom was into LLL and has helped lots of people with bfing so that is my main experience but I just want you to now, whatever you reading about feeding like a champ, tons of people have issues and it's not easy! However you feed your kid will be okay I hope it gets easier for you.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    I can relate. Breastfeeding is really freakin hard, and MOST babies feed like champs when they first come out. They are hungry and have NEVER eaten before, of course they do. Most of those babies also have trouble later. It's so normal, and I know that doesn't solve your problems to know that, but you definitely aren't alone. Do you have another mom in your life who has breastfed before that would be willing to come over and help you? Or can you call the hospital and see if they can help you find an LC that will come to your house? Learning in the hospital is really overwhelming, especially when you are dealing with complications after birth like you did, and it's much easier to have someone come to your house and teach you in your own environment. I was personally more comfortable with a close friend who was a breastfeeding pro helping me than an LC I didn't know, but an LC may be a lot more knowledgeable depending on who you have close to you.

As you know, I ended up EP with Kalista because she had more than one issue with her mouth that just ended up making latching impossible. If that is the route you end up going, there is NO shame in that. Pumping is hard work, too, and it is admirable that you would do that for your baby. Feeding him is always the right thing to do, the best thing to do, no matter HOW you do it. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are doing awesome. It's just that BFing is a terribly hard thing to do sometimes, both of you are learning how to feed at the same time and all of that mixed with the hormones and emotions post birth make it a pretty overwhelming experience sometimes. You are a good mom.

^ this!

I can try and help when you come for pics, but i'm not a pro at all, and i may not be able to help...
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

You got it momma!! You are putting in so much work, and it is all for the best reason ever, the health of your baby. I have no real advice, but I do have .
    have you considered donor milk if it comes down to supplementing?
  9. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Don't feel bad to switch to just pumping! The important thing is you're trying and still willing to pump! You're doing more (not that anything is wrong with doing less) than most new mothers and that is something to be proud of. I wasn't happy breastfeeding a lot of the times simply because I didn't like being the sole provider come time for food. I resenting my husband for not being able to help, even though it wasn't his fault, and I was just over it. I made it 7 months, and I do plan on trying again, but I do not blame anybody who doesn't breast feed, let alone as long as I did. Madison was a wonderful feeder, thank goodness. That's probably why it lasted as long as it did. I do miss it, but with our next I do not blame to exclusively breast feed. What's really frustrating, is how perfect that first latch usually is. You spend your entire breastfeeding "life" trying to establish that first latch success and chances are it will not happen. Not a lot of people realize that the first latch is NOT going to always be the forever latch. It's the "golden latch" and is often times unattainable as an every time occurrence. That was the hardest part for me those first 6 weeks. After that, everything seems to get better once my nipples toughened up and the pain went away.

It's stressful, and adding a bad latch to the mix is something I couldn't imagine.

be cool.
  10. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    What Trina said.

breast feeding is SO hard for some people. Piper had a bad latch so I started EPing on day 3. I struggled with not being able to breast feed for a long time, but eventually I came to terms with it and felt extremely proud and accomplished that I was giving her my milk, even if it was from a bottle.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast