Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Lip ties

1. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Lip ties

Advertisements
    So, now a more serious conversation.

Share with me any knowledge you awesome ladies have of lip ties. Please please please.
    Emma has a lip tie and I dont know how bad it is but I think it may be the source of our breastfeeding issues.

Tips for breastfeeding with a lip tie? What are the procedures to correct a lip tie? Is there any delay in breastfeeding after the correction?

And really, anything else at all that you can share. I feel like I should have thought to look for this earlier, but someone posted a picture on the facebook breastfeeding support group Im on about lip ties and it was like a light bulb moment. Im going to call her doctor on Tuesday and see about getting in there with both the doctor and a LC.

Thanks in advance for anything!! Stories, advice, info, links, anything. Ive searched google, but so much of it is about tongue ties.

2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Getting it corrected usually involves a quick snip in the doctor's office and then you can actually nurse immediately after. Lip ties are a pretty common reason for breastfeeding problems that lead to ending breastfeeding relationships before mom is ready, so if you can get it fixed it may be worth it to you. I would suggest getting a referral to an ENT that has experience with infant lie ties, not all pediatricians are very well versed in this stuff. An ENT can also check for many different kinds of tongue and lip ties.

3. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    Getting it corrected usually involves a quick snip in the doctor's office and then you can actually nurse immediately after. Lip ties are a pretty common reason for breastfeeding problems that lead to ending breastfeeding relationships before mom is ready, so if you can get it fixed it may be worth it to you. I would suggest getting a referral to an ENT that has experience with infant lie ties, not all pediatricians are very well versed in this stuff. An ENT can also check for many different kinds of tongue and lip ties.
    I hope there is even an ENT here in Fairbanks, but Ill ask her doctor to refer me! Im glad its an easy fix. That relieves me a little. Is it painful for them?

4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

They will numb it with a local I think, like a spray? I'm sure she wouldn't LOVE it, but if she cries you can nurse her to comfort her. I imagine it isn't much worse than getting shots. We were going to get Kalista's done but my referral took SO LONG that we had already not been nursing for four months by the time I got in there so I decided not to bother. I did a ton of research though.

5. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I did a little more research and saw in several places that it was genetic.. so I asked DH and we both have minor lip ties and minor to moderate tongue ties. And neither of us were breastfed due to difficulty.. so Im now wondering if she has a tongue tie as well but I dont know how to get her to hold still for me to look.

6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by megan_laine View Post
    I did a little more research and saw in several places that it was genetic.. so I asked DH and we both have minor lip ties and minor to moderate tongue ties. And neither of us were breastfed due to difficulty.. so Im now wondering if she has a tongue tie as well but I dont know how to get her to hold still for me to look.
    Just stick your pinky in her mouth and sweep under her tongue. You should be able to feel it. I can feel Kalista's pretty easily. I have a tongue tie and so do both of my girls, so the genetic link thing doesn't surprise me!

7. Senior Member
    You can also see tongue ties a lot of times if you look in her mouth when she's really crying. I just noticed one in a friends newborn when she cried because of how much the tongue moves. Anyway definitely talk to a LC. DD has a lip tie and it's obvious when she uses a pacifier or a bottle but it doesn't affect her latch while feeding thankfully so her pediatrician said we're fine to just let it go. DH has a bad upper tie similar to hers and I had a bad lower one that was causing issues later in life so I had to have it cut as a kid.
  8. Junior Member
    Check on FB for a group called something like "Toungue Tie Babies support" or something similar. There is a ton of awesome info available from those ladies!

Another provider option to check out would be a pediatric dentist. Ours used a laser to do the separation which I preferred. With my youngest, the only thing we had to give him was Tylenol prior to and during initial recovery. Complete Recovery took about a week and aside from tenderness the first 48ish hours, he didn't have a problem. We did the stretches after each feeding with no trouble.

As for feeding, are there any IBCLCs available near you? In this situation, I really reccomend finding one if possible. Depending on the severity of the issue, there may not be much that you can do on your end. I know I was pretty much limited to BFing in one position and she even recommended that I take a pain reliever for that.

I can completely say though that post-revision life has been amazing! The baby and I still had to relearn BFing, but it finally feels like what it's supposed to feel like.

It really is something I recommend if your situation is anything like ours. My older LO ended up having a several issues due to his ULT and TT not being corrected.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubree has upper and lower lip ties, so we had a lot of latch problems. She always had a super shallow latch, no matter what position we breastfed her in (football, cradle, cross-cradle). Then I discovered the "Australian position" and it completely took away latching pain/problems. From them on, I only used that position until she was almost a year old.

Side note: I asked THREE DIFFERENT LCs for nursing help and none of them noticed her lip ties Freaking doofers. But yeah lol. I researched it and it was beyond obvious. Her upper lie tie is super super clear too.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan