Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactation?

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Relactation?

Advertisements
    Ok so I quit pumping about a month ago, and I have decided I wasn't ready to give it up and formula is wicked expensive. I started pumping again every two hours, and I do an hour long pumping session at night. I get anywhere from a few drops to half an ounce each time. Is this possible to being my supply back to where it once was, or am I wasting my time?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would imagine it's more than likely possible, but it would probably take a while. I mean, people who haven't been pregnant have got themselves to lactate to feed their adopted children IIRC, so I imagine you could probably get to where it should be.

:
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

No it isn't a waste of time it is absolutely possible. Add having some slow cooked oats oatmeal as much as you can to eat through some brewers yeast in with it too. And lactation cookies or mothers milk tea and pump pump pump it will happen it just takes work. Good luck!
  4. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    No it isn't a waste of time it is absolutely possible. Add having some slow cooked oats oatmeal as much as you can to eat through some brewers yeast in with it too. And lactation cookies or mothers milk tea and pump pump pump it will happen it just takes work. Good luck!
    That's encouraging, thank you. . Where can I get mothers milk tea? The lactation cookies, do I make them or are they sold some where?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Lactation cookies are SUPER easy to make and they really do work Worked great for us! Here's the recipe I used:

Major Milk Makin' CookiesRecipe by Kathleen Major
    Detailed recipe with photos found here

1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    1 3/4 c. oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 c. almond butter or peanut butter
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1 c. flax
    3 T brewer's yeast
    1/3 c. water
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 large eggs
    2 c. (12oz) chocolate chips
    1 c. chopped nuts of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
    In a large bowl, beat almond butter, butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brewer's yeast, flax and water until creamy.
    Mix in eggs.
    Gradually beat in flour mixture.
    Mix in nuts and chocolate chips.
    Add oats slowly, mixing along the way.

Place balls of dough onto greased baking sheets or baking stones.
    Press down each ball lightly with a fork.

Bake 12 minutes.
    peaceful parenting: Lactation Cookies: Increasing Milk Supply

They're delicious too! I always have to get on DH about leaving some for me
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Those do sound good. Do you think it would be ok to leave the nuts out though? Also, I will be at school for 5 hours without being able to pump so if I pump let's say for an hour or so straight and not pump for those 5 hours, does that have the same effect as pumping every two hours for 15-20 minutes?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Punky77 View Post
    Those do sound good. Do you think it would be ok to leave the nuts out though? Also, I will be at school for 5 hours without being able to pump so if I pump let's say for an hour or so straight and not pump for those 5 hours, does that have the same effect as pumping every two hours for 15-20 minutes?
    I totally left the nuts out for us We're not really a fan of nuts. It's the frequency, not the length, I believe, that triggers milk production. That's why if you have a kiddo nurse for 5 min every 30 min, it cranks your supply up a ton. But I mean, if you're at school there's not much you can do, so I'd just do your best around your schedule.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I totally left the nuts out for us We're not really a fan of nuts. It's the frequency, not the length, I believe, that triggers milk production. That's why if you have a kiddo nurse for 5 min every 30 min, it cranks your supply up a ton. But I mean, if you're at school there's not much you can do, so I'd just do your best around your schedule.
    Ok that's what I was thinking. After Piper goes to bed I pretty much stay connected to the pump for a few hours off and on, and while she's awake I pump ever 2ish hours for 15-20 minutes. I only have 10 minutes in between classes, and have to walk across campus, otherwise I would totally take my hand pump and do a few minutes. I am determined to make this happen .
  9. Senior Member
    Like the other ladies have said, it's totally possible but it will definitely take some work!

Here's some helpful links on relactation, I especially like the one from the Leaky Boob
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

Your Guide to Relactation- breastfeeding again | The Leaky B@@b
  10. Senior Member
    Make sure you do some hand expression/massage and nipple stimulation as well as the pumping as the pump doesn't stimulate all the parts of the breast that signal them to make more milk, so if you start with hand massage, gentle nipple stimulation and expression you will be covering all your bases!

Lots of luck and yes its totally possible!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast