Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low weight and breastfeeding

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Low weight and breastfeeding

Advertisements
    Went to the 15 month well baby for my JoeMan today, and they said they are not worried yet but his weight is not staying up with the curve (but he is still gaining)

He is 22 lbs and 31 inches, and below the 50th percentile on both.

Welllll.... The doctor said that he has a low weight because I breastfeed, and that my breastmilk is just water at this point. She said I need to think about weaning him to whole milk and I need to feed him more table food. Well, he is a little garbage disposal when it comes to table food. Only way I could get him to eat MORE is to keep him in the highchair all day long, he will eat and eat and eat. I make sure he is getting a balanced diet. he gets meat, and veggies and a little starch/carbs with every meal. We have been pushing dark leafy greens, and making progress at that. Do I really need to introduce milk? I am fairly against dairy, as I just don't think we need it near as much as we rely on it. Is there a good alternative (Oh, and we cannot do any nut milks either, because he may have a nut allergy)
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs was a SUPER slow gainer. She was 8 lbs 10 oz at birth and didn't double her weight until 14 months. She was exclusively breastfed as well. Started out in like the 75+th percentile and ended up down in the 16 or 17th. Her pediatrician was never worried-- she was hitting milestones normally, looked healthy, etc. She was just more slender than the other babies-- Aubs never really got any rolls. So I say don't worry about it Remember that those charts (especially the AAP ones-- look at the WHO instead) are a mixture of formula fed babies (who tend to gain weight rapidly and build on more fat) and breastfed babies (who tend to be leaner and gain weight more slowly), so they aren't representative of what your baby should necessarily do.

Aubs hit a huge growth spurt at 14 months and now she's in the 95th percentile lol. So my personal advice is if your baby seems to be healthy and is having the proper amount of wet and dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry about slow gain.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh and bee tee dubs-- FUCK your doctor saying that your breastmilk is water. Your breastmilk is liquid fucking gold. What a fucking uneducated, anti-breastfeeding loony.

And Aubs still barely drinks milk. She eats a lot of cheese, but she's almost 23 months and doesn't drink cups of milk. No need if they get their calcium and vitamin D elsewhere
    ​​​

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I wouldn't automatically go straight to milk if you are looking to just gain weight, there are plenty of other ways to do that. I think our country puts way more importance on cows milk than need be. My kids drink a ton of milk but thats just because they love it, as do I It sounds like you have him on the right path I would just keep doing what your doing and maybe add in more high in "good for you" fatty foods like avocado.
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah he seriously said your milk turned to water? I'd disregard everything he said after that. Bullshit.

Anyways - just to clarify - is your LO falling off his curve or is he just consistently under the 50th %ile? Because everyone has to fall somewhere...someone has to be in the 1-10%, someone has to be in the 90%. Know and I'm saying? David has always been on the lower end but gained (fairly) evenly - but he's still in the 25%, or less.

Has he recently started walking? That can affect it a lot!

Aaaaand eta: we still don't do cow's milk and he's 28 months. Sometimes he drinks almond milk but
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yea, they said that the reason for weaning at 12 months was that the moms breast milk turns to water, that there is no real nutritional value to it any more.

He has fallen slightly. He was always right at the 50th percentile and now he his at about the 40th or so.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    Yea, they said that the reason for weaning at 12 months was that the moms breast milk turns to water, that there is no real nutritional value to it any more.

He has fallen slightly. He was always right at the 50th percentile and now he his at about the 40th or so.
    Is this guy a doctor or a witch doctor?
    ​​​

8. Senior Member
    In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    – Dewey 2001
    http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

Obviously not just water
  9. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Nikaia wasn't breast fed past a month and was the same weight from a year old to two years old. That age they DON'T gain a lot. They are active toddlers and burn calories like nobody's business. Kaia went from the 95th percentile in weight to the 45th in that year, and she gained SIX inches. Kalista has been 25 lbs for almost a year, and has gone from the 90th percentile in weight to the 25th! It is perfectly normal, they are both doing awesome! Expecting a kid between a year and two years old to gain a bunch of weight is ridiculous. If he is healthy, eating a balanced diet, and what you are doing is working for you, you are FINE.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Oh and bee tee dubs-- FUCK your doctor saying that your breastmilk is water. Your breastmilk is liquid fucking gold. What a fucking uneducated, anti-breastfeeding loony.

And Aubs still barely drinks milk. She eats a lot of cheese, but she's almost 23 months and doesn't drink cups of milk. No need if they get their calcium and vitamin D elsewhere
    This, so many times!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast