Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: *Beautiful Story* about a gal I met today & induced lactation

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

*Beautiful Story* about a gal I met today & induced lactation

Advertisements
    So, I have to share this because I just thought it was amazing and heart-warming. I went to the local "mommy" store in my area called Mother's Haven. There I met a beautiful women named Camille, and this was her story, well hers and her daughter's. (The owner just posted it on Mother's Haven's FB page and I just had to share.)

Camille and her family adopted now 4 week old Bella. Bella was premature born at 31 or 32 weeks (they don't know for sure as the birth mother only had one prenatal appointment.) and weighed 3lbs9oz. She is now just barely over . Camille pumped and pumped and worked very hard and induced lactation in order to be able to nurse her daughter Bella! She has been successful in this and baby Bella has actually never had formula, she has been able to have breast milk exclusively.

Here is a picture of her and baby Bella. (having a snack )

I find it so absolutely incredible that something like this (induced lactation) is possible. I think it is SO awesome that she was able to do this, that she wanted to do this, and that it worked. What an awesome thing to have. It just awes me completely and seeing the two of them together at the store earlier just warmed my heart. You could tell Camille was still in such awe to have her be theirs let alone to be able to do something like breast feed her.

My girlfriend posted on the FB post about how it was such a "beautiful story" and Camille posted back that saying that made her cry and that "Bella's name is Bella Story which literally means "beautiful story"."

(now just to be clear this is not a dig on formula feeding or to start a mommy war of any kind just wanted to share an awesome story about something that I find to be super neat and was able to witness today.)
    Last edited by Never a *Just*; 09-26-2013 at 01:34 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    wow i didnt think it was possible to lactate if your werent pregnant! That is amazing!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh I love this! We always said that if we do get a chance to adopt a baby at one point, I'd be trying real hard to induce lactation! Bella looks like such a little, tiny doll!
  4. Senior Member
    That is a sweet story.

I honestly had no idea it was possible to start lactation if one was not recently pregnant.
  5. Senior Member
    Amazing. And what a perfect name for that tiny angel!
  6. Senior Member
    That's incredible! What an awesome mama.
  7. Senior Member
    What a beautiful story!! And she just looks so proud, in love and content. Side note--I for the life of me cannot figure out how people breastfeed that discreetly. I practically have to take my shirt off. I'm so bad at it
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    That's a beautiful story

I'm also had no idea you could induce lactation without having been pregnant That's pretty darn cool!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's awesome! I've heard of folks doing that and I think that it is so wonderful Still giving the child that healthy start, even though nature doesn't automatically set you up to do so. If we ever adopt, I would definitely be doing that
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by USAFwife7492 View Post
    wow i didnt think it was possible to lactate if your werent pregnant! That is amazing!
    I didn't know for the longest time until I had a friend attempt to induce lactation. There are some intense hormones that arise too, it certainly is far from easy but I agree totally amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Oh I love this! We always said that if we do get a chance to adopt a baby at one point, I'd be trying real hard to induce lactation! Bella looks like such a little, tiny doll!
    I KNOW doesn't she! I couldn't believe how absolutely tiny she was. LM just stared at her and giggled. Bella was eating/sleeping so I don't know if LM really realized she WASN'T a doll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    That is a sweet story.

I honestly had no idea it was possible to start lactation if one was not recently pregnant.
    Isn't it crazy! And she has never been pregnant - both her kids are adopted. I just find it fascinating. I know how hard it was for my to get into a good nursing vibe and I HAD been pregnant, I can't imagine her challenges. And she still looks just so radiant. AMAZING!
    Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Amazing. And what a perfect name for that tiny angel!
    When she said her name meaning I totally teared up too, just so absolutely precious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomper. View Post
    That's incredible! What an awesome mama.
    I think I embarrassed her a bit, but I kept telling her just how incredible she was and how awesome it was. I am sure I looked nuts but it is just incredible to me. Almost hard to wrap ones head around everything that goes into that relationship. Just, wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysgal View Post
    What a beautiful story!! And she just looks so proud, in love and content. Side note--I for the life of me cannot figure out how people breastfeed that discreetly. I practically have to take my shirt off. I'm so bad at it
    You know I had a hard time nursing like a ninja a first too and then I discovered the amazing nature of Undercover Mamas and now I wear them EVERYWHERE! Even now and I am not nursing. But when I am nursing it makes it so easy because one shirt can go up and that stays down and I can still nurse. Check them out they are awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    That's a beautiful story

I'm also had no idea you could induce lactation without having been pregnant That's pretty darn cool!
    They are just so freaking cute too aren't they.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    That's awesome! I've heard of folks doing that and I think that it is so wonderful Still giving the child that healthy start, even though nature doesn't automatically set you up to do so. If we ever adopt, I would definitely be doing that
    If we ever adopt later on and get a newborn I totally want to give it a shot too! I find it absolutely fascinating just the science behind it all baffles me. But is so awesome at the same time. KWIM?