Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engorgement

1. Senior Member

engorgement

Advertisements
    I was expecting pain and suffering, but so far I am experiencing burning and hard patches. Little man is feeding for about 15 minutes a side, and I am still pumping an extra 10-20 minutes a side just for some relief from the burning. How can I get rid of the hard patches as well? I have tried massaging while feeling, hand expressing just those spots, and nothing is helping to get rid of them? Since I am 4 days PP I am sure it is just my milk supply establishing, but there has got to be some way to get the hard spots to go away temporarily. I am also scared of getting a clogged duct since I can't make the patches go away at all.

2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Hot cloths and massage are the best way. Pumping extra after feeding is going to cause an oversupply and the engorgement could get worse. I know it's painful but pumping and nursing regularly this early on can confuse your body. Milk production is a supply and demand deal, the more you nurse and pump, the more milk your body is going to make because it thinks that the demand is there so it has to up the supply.

3. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post
    Hot cloths and massage are the best way. Pumping extra after feeding is going to cause an oversupply and the engorgement could get worse. I know it's painful but pumping and nursing regularly this early on can confuse your body. Milk production is a supply and demand deal, the more you nurse and pump, the more milk your body is going to make because it thinks that the demand is there so it has to up the supply.
    Unless you plan on always pumping after baby eats, do not pump except for times of the day you plan on pumping for your own supply and not to reduce engorgement. Hot cloths, massages, and if you really need to expel some of the milk, do so in the shower, hand express, and ONLY enough to ease the pain, do not fully empty yourself. It sucks now, but it will go away shortly if you don't over pump. The more you pump to relief the pressure, the longer you will be engorged.

Hard spots rather than just the whole breast being hard, might be less of engorgement and more of a clogged duct. Massage the hard spot often, apply heat often, and when you nurse, put baby's chin where the hard spot is (as awkward as the position might be) so that baby's chin massages the area while nursing (or just massage the hard spot while nursing, yourself.)

be cool.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderelly View Post

I was going to say I think you're working too hard! You're nursing and pumping, you're body and your kid can't keep up with each other.

Slow down! Warm showers. Warm cloths.
  5. Senior Member
    Okay, I wills stop with the pumping. The hard spots are much bigger than the size of a pea so I am not sure what I am felling. We go for a follow up apt tomorrow, so I shouldhave some idea of what is happening.

6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

It is sounding to me like you have an oversupply and cutting out pumping completely could lead to mastitis. I would not switch sides in nursing (I had to do this) because it sounds like he isn't "emptying" one side much less both. That also means that he is getting more fore than hind milk and that imbalance could lead to some not so awesome reflux. I would feed him solely on one side (multiple sessions if needed) pump the other and then next feed swap. Feed on one side and pump on the other. That will allow him to drain all your milk from the side and reduce chances of any infection. It will also level out as the days pass.

I had to do that with my daughter for quite awhile and it helped a ton and also reduced the puking we started having because of the fore-hind issue.
  7. Senior Member
    I was going to ask the doctor tomorrow if it was normal for him to not feed off of both sides. I was producing a lot of colostrum- the nurse had me pump because he was feeding, but going 4-6 hours without eating. He had only lost 4 ounces from birth-day 2 so they wanted to check that I was producing colostrum and how much. Now he will feed from one side for as little as 5 minutes and then have nothing to do with the other side. He does it to both sides, so he isn't favoring one side or position. He emptied one side earlier in 15 minutes, and then spit up before he could move on to the other side. The other side is still painfully engorged. Bad enough that I am having trouble gripping it to express it. They do express themselves multiple times throughout the day though. I will ask to see a lactation consultant tomorrow if the doctor can't figure out what is going on. During my hospital stay the nurses had me feed him, then pump an hour later since he wasn't eating every 2-3 hours and feed him with a syringe. I figured I was supposed to continue once we got home. They kept asking if I needed a pump.

8. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Honestly for me I pumped just enough to get rid of the hard patches. Yes, it can cause you to make more if you pump too much but my son is a month old now and my supply has evened out pretty well even with that extra pumping I did in the beginning. I just didn't pump a ton to make my breast extra soft. Worked well for me and I also didn't want to risk other problems by leaving myself engorged.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    It is sounding to me like you have an oversupply and cutting out pumping completely could lead to mastitis. I would not switch sides in nursing (I had to do this) because it sounds like he isn't "emptying" one side much less both. That also means that he is getting more fore than hind milk and that imbalance could lead to some not so awesome reflux. I would feed him solely on one side (multiple sessions if needed) pump the other and then next feed swap. Feed on one side and pump on the other. That will allow him to drain all your milk from the side and reduce chances of any infection. It will also level out as the days pass.

I had to do that with my daughter for quite awhile and it helped a ton and also reduced the puking we started having because of the fore-hind issue.
    I agree with this too. Definitely be aware of symptoms of baby getting too much foremilk. They are often hungry more often and can have stools that are greenish or even "frothy."

If you have hard spots, I would stand in the shower and gently use your knuckles to massage the area and direct the pressure out towards your nipple area. You don't want to push anything back towards your chest...always out and away.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His[♥]Love View Post
    I was going to ask the doctor tomorrow if it was normal for him to not feed off of both sides. I was producing a lot of colostrum- the nurse had me pump because he was feeding, but going 4-6 hours without eating. He had only lost 4 ounces from birth-day 2 so they wanted to check that I was producing colostrum and how much. Now he will feed from one side for as little as 5 minutes and then have nothing to do with the other side. He does it to both sides, so he isn't favoring one side or position. He emptied one side earlier in 15 minutes, and then spit up before he could move on to the other side. The other side is still painfully engorged. Bad enough that I am having trouble gripping it to express it. They do express themselves multiple times throughout the day though. I will ask to see a lactation consultant tomorrow if the doctor can't figure out what is going on. During my hospital stay the nurses had me feed him, then pump an hour later since he wasn't eating every 2-3 hours and feed him with a syringe. I figured I was supposed to continue once we got home. They kept asking if I needed a pump.
    My baby rarely ate from both breasts during a feed. She eats for about 10 min from one side, and then is done. Usually she is hungry and I offer her the other side before I get uncomfortable, but if I get too full, I'll pump that side.

Warm compresses and massage are the only thing that helped me get rid of clogged ducts. My favorite trick for that: put some water into a disposable diaper and microwave it... Instant moist heat compress that stays warmer longer than a washcloth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast