Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: At a loss when it comes to my babies sleep ...

1. Junior Member

At a loss when it comes to my babies sleep ...

Advertisements
    He was a great sleeper up until about 2 months ago (he slept from 7 - 6/7), was able to put himself to sleep when he woke up etc. Since he has learned to crawl/stand he has gotten awful. He wont sleep until 9pm anymore ... we haven't changed his routine or anything (we still aim to put him to bed at 7) but he wakes up the minute we put him in the crib and he screams - curdling screams. We have tried when we leave and keep reassuring him but he gets so worked up that he starts choking and becoming hysterical - and he can literally go for hours and hours and hours .. we tried the cio but his screams were even worse! The only way we have been able to get him to sleep has been to take him to our bed after about 2/3 hours of crying, and try that way - then it still takes several hours as all he wants to do is get up and crawl. To make things worse, he then wakes up before 6am every morning!!!! (he also wakes up screaming several times a night -- last night it was about 3). To make matters worse, he is having real issues with napping too - like he only has two now - one short one in the morning, and a hour/hour and half one in the afternoon. I cannot get him to nap anymore - I try for hours, he tries to crawl, cries etc .. I'm beyond exhausted and I feel like I have NO time to myself at all! I already find it hard to be a stay-at-home mum, but this is just making me depressed .... he has no teeth yet, still can't see any signs of them coming either. I just don't know what to do.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It really, really sucks but this is completely normal. Sleep regression about this age and developmentally when they learn to move around and pull up is just one of those crappy parenting times. Not much (at least from my viewpoint) that you can do, they just outgrow it like any other stage. Just remember, this too shall pass and then you'll get more solid sleep again. My best advice is to get out of the house as much as possible, even if it's just walking in a mall or the exchange. I used to take Wyatt to Target where we'd meander with Starbucks for a while. I actually started recognizing other moms doing the same thing, as sad as that may seem Also, if you can make it work/feel comfortable, a sitter or just a friend to watch him for a couple hours once a week is a GODSEND anytime but especially when you start feeling like it sounds you are. Had issues similar to you when we moved out here so I promptly found a sitter and she watched him three mornings for a week for me to go to the gym or just clean at home. It was fabulous.

More , this is a truly sucky stage.
  3. Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement It really means a lot to me. I decided to look into babysitters/providers in my area for my son to go to maybe 3 times a week for a few hours in the morning - just to allow me some "me" time, and also do school work since I'm starting back up my college classes in October. So far, there is only one person available that is less than 30 mins away. Kinda sucks but at least I have one lead to go on!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

8 months is SUCH a common age for sleep regression, and it sucks!!! Stick to your normal routine as much as possible. I hope it passes quickly!!

5. Senior Member
    I'm sorry! I hope it passes quickly. When B was in a rough sleep patch walks helped a lot. Just getting him out of the house helped his sleep that night. And honestly, daycare was a godsend. At that point he only went for an hour or two a few days a week to start getting used to it. but that little bit of time helped me recharge. It's so hard when you feel like a zombie and spend 90% of your day trying to get them to sleep. Bowen sucks at naps. I've kind of given up. If he falls asleep great, but I had to let go of the schedule he was "supposed" to be on because I would literally spend the whole day laying down with him or listening to him cry in his crib.