Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that were different/unexpected about your pregnancy and labor

1. Senior Member

Things that were different/unexpected about your pregnancy and labor

Advertisements
    To make things clear I am NOT pregnant and we are not planning to be for a while. However, a good friend of mine is and we were talking about her pregnancy. An interesting topic came up. You always hear these horror stories or advice during pregnancy and delivery. She was talking about some things she has found no one told her or people told her that scared her to death that didn't happen. So I was curious what some of you ladies have found? One I am curious about is I read on a ton of blogs to NOT bring your own clothes to wear, but then a ton of women take pictures of them in their own clothes. I HATE hospital gowns, I feel totally naked and uncomfortable. After labor can you wear your own clothes or suggest not? What are some other things you have found?
    You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I absolutely brought my own clothes. Next time around, I'll be bringing my own hospital gown too cause my sucked to labor in.

I didn't expect to be sick for literally the entire pregnancy. That sucked.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    It's really all subjective since every woman is different. Heck a first pregnancy can be very different from the second one for the same woman

As for if you can wear your own clothes, I think it depends on the hospital's policies. At mine, you couldn't. You had to wear whatever the hospital gave you, that included clothes for DS as well. He wasn't allowed to wear anything but the hospital onesie until discharge day.

As for things I was told:

That because I had a huge pregnant belly and measuring waaay ahead, that I'd never make it to my due date (wrong-o ).
    That if I ended up in a c-section that my recovery would be absolutely horrendous (my recovery was actually very easy).

As for things I wasn't told about pregnancy.

No one spoke to me of a mucus plug, and that it would come out in bits and pieces for weeks. Or the fact that at points I would feel like I had a bowling ball about to fall out of my vagina.

4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I brought my own clothes, my own pillow, my own cup...

The biggest shock for me... I didn't expect my c-section to be as easy as it was. I heard a million and one horror stories about them, how hard the recovery is, how much loss women feel at not getting a vaginal birth (which is true, a lot of women do), how I wouldn't be able to properly bond with my baby, so I was devastated when I found out that I had to have one. They had been touted to me as this horrific experience that is a struggle to overcome. I felt like a failure before I even had it. Then she was born and recovery was easy and I realized all of that was wrong for me. I have had two c-sections now and both of my recoveries were easy, my bonds with my daughters weren't effected, I don't feel like I lost anything, and I am a proud section mom. I really wish I hadn't been scared into how horrible they are before I even knew if I was going to have one.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    It's really all subjective since every woman is different. Heck a first pregnancy can be very different from the second one for the same woman
    I realize, I just thought it would be fun to hear people's answers
    You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.
  6. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    I expected a super rough pregnancy. I expected bad nausea- I remember having one or two feelings of pukiness that passed and were probably more nerve related (this was en route to visit my parents and announce pregnancy). I expected to gain tons of weight- I lost weight while pregnant.
  7. Senior Member
    I didn't wear my own clothes until I left the hospital because I was bleeding a lot and figured if anything leaked, it would be better to be in a hospital gown. I did, however, use my own extra pillows.

Everyone told me that since it was a second pregnancy it would go quick, my body knew what it was doing now, especially since I was already pretty dilated and effaced beforehand. Definitely not the case. My contractions were weak and irregular and my labor stalled at 6cm until they gave me pitocin.
  8. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I didn't really expect much as far as pregnancy is concerned. I had pretty easy pregnancies. I enjoyed being pregnant. As for labor/birth, while I didn't expect it to be this god-awful experience or ordeal, I was expecting it to be, well... not freakishly easy. My labors were very fast and easy peasy. While I knew to expect my labors to be extremely fast after my first, I did not expect my fourth to be born so quickly.

I went from no active labor to "he's coming NOW... he's here!!!" in a matter of a few minutes. It was fucking crazy. My midwife had never seen anything like it and her apprentice was completely stunned. And I was very shocked, underwhelmed and overwhelmed at the same time. I "planned" this blissful, joyous home waterbirth with cookies baking, music in the background and Christmas movies on for the kids. My mom and sister were supposed to be present for his birth. Instead, he was born on my unprotected bed abruptly. We were expecting for it to be extremely quick (<60 minutes), but not that quick, or, rather, nonexistent.

Perhaps I'll get my waterbirth with #5. Here's to hoping!
    Pax, Aeon
  9. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I brought my own clothes. I wore the gown they gave me but as soon as she came out I took a shower and put on my own clothes and my own underwear! The underwear they give you are terrible.

I didn't expect the recovery to be as bad and painful as it was. God that was awful.

10. Senior Member
    I didn't change into clothes until my second or third day in the hospital but part of me wished I had so much sooner because it made me feel better.

I didn't expect to feel defeated during labor. I spent my whole pregnancy thinking I would be so flexible in my birth plan and that I would let my body progress as long as possible before I did anything like an epidural, etc but when the time came it didn't happen like that AT ALL. I labored great at home but when we got to the hospital my water broke and I wasn't allowed out of bed after that. I was stuck at 2 cm and my contractions completely stopped and I was so frustrated and uncomfortable being stuck in bed I gave in as soon as they said the word "Pitocin". I whole heartedly believe the pit is the reason I ended up with an emergency csection because my body had such an adverse reaction to it it sent my daughter into dangerous distress. I really regret not being stronger.

Like other people have said though I'm surprised at my section recovery. It was painful, but more of an uncomfortable pain and less OMG I'm dying pain. I wasn't exactly up and doing the things that I'd be able to do if I had had a vaginal birth but I also wasn't laid up in bed for weeks like I had imagined. I was up and going shopping 5 days after delivery, went to a baby shower, etc all in the first week and a half. I'm almost 3 weeks post-partum and I still have some pain but it's manageable and nothing like I ever thought.

I also wish I had listened when people told me not to pack a ton of outfits for her for the hospital. I packed 3-4 outfits each in newborn sized and 0-3 month sized because I was convinced I would put her in real clothes. She spent the whole hospital stay in the shirts the hospital gives you and diapers since she had to stay swaddled the whole time. I also didn't expect my 6+ pound baby to have to wear preemie diapers for the first 2 weeks of her life and not fit into half her newborn stuff.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast