Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting up?

1. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)

Question Sitting up?

Advertisements
    DS just turned 6 months the 12th and I know all babies are different but he isn't sitting up yet. What can I do to try and help him to learn how to sit up on his own?

Thanks
  2. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    Anyone?
  3. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the bumbo seat or bebepod?

4. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitla View Post
    Maybe the bumbo seat or bebepod?
    He has a bumbo. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like if I sit him in it to much then he would get use to the support of the seat and then wouldn't do it when sitting himself.
  5. Senior Member

Maybe prop him up in a boppy to help him balance? Is he close or not at all?

When Aria started she basically would fold in half then she finally started putting her hand out to hold herself up. She starting at about 4 months so she's pretty good at it now.
  6. i'd trade all the money in the world for you :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    Maybe prop him up in a boppy to help him balance? Is he close or not at all?

When Aria started she basically would fold in half then she finally started putting her hand out to hold herself up. She starting at about 4 months so she's pretty good at it now.
    Yea I use the boppy and sometimes he will sit for about 10-20 seconds then just falls back on it or to the side. If I can get him in the right position he sits there hunched over pretty far for a couple seconds til he moves and falls over lol. When he is laying down he tries to pull himself up like he wants to sit up but can't do it yet.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I swear it took my kids freaking forever to sit up on their own! I blame it on their massive heads with dd between 7-8 months I just had to start putting a ton of blankets down for a padded area and I would sit her on it kinda just let her fall because she had to figure out on her own!
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by tiffielynn View Post
    Yea I use the boppy and sometimes he will sit for about 10-20 seconds then just falls back on it or to the side. If I can get him in the right position he sits there hunched over pretty far for a couple seconds til he moves and falls over lol. When he is laying down he tries to pull himself up like he wants to sit up but can't do it yet.
    Better than sitting in the boppy would just be to have him between your legs while you sit on the floor. The boppy comes around too close in the front and narrows his base of support. Babies naturally sit with their legs in an O shape with the widest base of support possible (at least at first). Just let him do as much as he can on his own and it'll come with time! My niece didn't start sitting independently until almost 8mo! He'll learn
  9. Senior Member
    My daughter is almost 8 months old and has been sitting since she was probably about 6 months, but all babies are different. I am a part of a due date club and there are babies the same age as her not even sitting up yet and they are 7/8 months old. I think letting them do it on their own time is better than teaching them because they become confident in themselves. Also,lots of floor time has helped my daughter.
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

The first thing we learned in PT with Kalista is that devices like the bumbo chair (and walkers, bouncers, etc) can hinder milestones like sitting because they force babies to sit in an unnatural position and they don't have to use the muscles they normally would to sit on their own so those muscles don't develop as well as they should, or develop unevenly to compensate for the position the device forces them into. So, avoiding the bumbo is good, it is meant for kids who already have those skills and only meant for extremely short periods of time.

Sitting requires a strong core, back and neck and good balance. So, to encourage those things put him in a position that gives him lots of opportunity to do those little baby crunches they do to strengthen his tummy, like slightly reclined back in a boppy, and then take his hands and gently pull him up so that he has to work those belly, back, and neck muscles as he comes forward. Also, when he is sitting with assistance, encourage him to reach side to side and forward to retrieve toys or reach for you. It takes short sessions of working on these things to build up the strength to sit on their own. Babies get exhausted so easily and when they get fatigued they will just turn into little rag dolls and flop right over.

Here is a video that shows the little baby sit ups!
    Baby Milestones: Learning to Sit Up - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast