Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Food Eating

1. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made

Finger Food Eating

Advertisements
    Has anyone's kid been a late finger food eater? I know every kid is different but when I see babies younger than DS feeding themselves & his doctor saying he should have started that by now (I rolled my eyes at her ), I get kind of

He'll pick food up with his hands but he'll either just play with it or throw it to the dogs. He'll eat whatever I give him if I pick it up & he'll open his mouth but I usually just let him play with it so he doesn't get in the habit of needing me. He likes bananas, sweet potato fries, Gerber puffs & scrambled eggs. The closest he gets is with the Gerber puffs. But he'll just keep one in his hand & just slobber all over it. If he gets it in his mouth, it's pure coincidence of it sticking out of his fist.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I'd just give him more to practice with. I don't remember exactly when Cameron got proficient at getting food from his hand to his mouth, but I want to say it was around 8 1/2 to 9 months...I think. I don't know, that just sounds about right. Have you tried cutting things into sticks? We found that Cameron was able to get banana and strawberries in his mouth a lot easier when we cut them into sticks vs cutting them into rounds or pieces.
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I'd just give him more to practice with. I don't remember exactly when Cameron got proficient at getting food from his hand to his mouth, but I want to say it was around 8 1/2 to 9 months...I think. I don't know, that just sounds about right. Have you tried cutting things into sticks? We found that Cameron was able to get banana and strawberries in his mouth a lot easier when we cut them into sticks vs cutting them into rounds or pieces.
    Yup. He just slams them around the tray.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sometimes when my dogs are in the kitchen T would rather throw the food to them than eat it himself. Maybe put them outside so he isn't tempted to throw it? I guess if he was really that hungry he would put it in his mouth!
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    Sometimes when my dogs are in the kitchen T would rather throw the food to them than eat it himself. Maybe put them outside so he isn't tempted to throw it? I guess if he was really that hungry he would put it in his mouth!
    He acts the same way if they're outside or not in the room. And he's hungry. He opens his mouth for it & he'll cry if I take it away.

6. Regular Member
    We haven't fed him purees really at all. Adult table food has been all he's really known. We started with the mesh feeder around 6 months, and after that started giving him fry shaped foods. He started being able to feed himself around 7.5- 8 months.

We give him as many opportunities to practice as possible. He still gets food everywhere, but at least 40-50% ends up in his mouth. Sometimes more, depending on what he's eating.
    "Sometimes, its not until you watch someone you love dying, that you truly realize what a gift each day is that you don't have to say good bye."
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think the best thing is to just keep letting him try. Zach is just now really being able to get puffs in his mouth... everything else he just mashes in his palm and is in itty bitty pieces by the time it gets to his mouth.

Maybe try putting some on a baby fork and see if he can do it with that? Zach has gotten things in his mouth a few times with his fork but I am pretty sure its more luck then skill
  8. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    I guess practice makes perfect. It didn't take braydon that long to figure it out. Maybe it was because we waited to long to give him food at all. He stared at us for months "air chewing" have you sat there and ate with him? Like sat right in front of him and showed him the piece of food having him watch you put the foodinyour mouth and then chewing?
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by theashmaticcat View Post
    We haven't fed him purees really at all. Adult table food has been all he's really known. We started with the mesh feeder around 6 months, and after that started giving him fry shaped foods. He started being able to feed himself around 7.5- 8 months.

We give him as many opportunities to practice as possible. He still gets food everywhere, but at least 40-50% ends up in his mouth. Sometimes more, depending on what he's eating.
    We do puree foods because he's not a strong chewer & he'll choke a lot. Not full on choke of course but he will cough a few times every other bite. So we didn't feel fully comfortable with letting him have finger foods more often until he had teeth & he's still not a very strong chewer but he chews enough to get it down without coughing so much.

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I think the best thing is to just keep letting him try. Zach is just now really being able to get puffs in his mouth... everything else he just mashes in his palm and is in itty bitty pieces by the time it gets to his mouth.

Maybe try putting some on a baby fork and see if he can do it with that? Zach has gotten things in his mouth a few times with his fork but I am pretty sure its more luck then skill
    I'll try that. I can see him poking his eye out

Quote Originally Posted by melissa8689 View Post
    I guess practice makes perfect. It didn't take braydon that long to figure it out. Maybe it was because we waited to long to give him food at all. He stared at us for months "air chewing" have you sat there and ate with him? Like sat right in front of him and showed him the piece of food having him watch you put the foodinyour mouth and then chewing?
    Yup. We'll put him in his bumbo or high chair with us when we eat dinner & give him something to eat as well... he'll stare at us & chew on his fingers or make the chewing motion but really has no interest in bringing his food to his mouth.

10. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    So I guess I just have an extremely stubborn child (I don't know where he gets it from ). I gave him some green beans and he didn't care to pick those up so I figured I'd just give him some blueberry puffs for the hell of it and he's eating them perfectly fine by himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast