Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Drop in supply

1. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!

Drop in supply

Advertisements
    In the past two days my supply has dropped by 10oz yesterday and even more today so far! I started working out again, that's the only thing that's changed. Could this cause a drop into supply? I'm really worried, I'm not ready to be done yet, even though I hate my pump.
  2. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Yes. Working out can change a supply. Especially if its rather intense. I hated my pump too but power pumping and mothers love milk boosting polls both helped me. Also remember that what you get from a pump is not equivalent to the amount of milk you actually have. Babe will always always get more than a pump so keeping her latched will help it boost back up.
  3. Senior Member
    Are you drinking enough water? This is SUPER important when breastfeeding/pumping, so maybe you're getting dehydrated from exercise and not getting enough water.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Add in a bowl of oatmeal everyday, what Chaleigh said, try to make lactation cookies (just google, they're yummy!), and power pump. Al of that will help getting back, also, if your workout routine is really intense, you may need to cut that back for a while.
  5. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    I feel like if I'm attached to the pump anymore ill just die! I'm pumping every 2 hours during the day and go 4 hours at night, but if power pumping will help I will definitely try it! I'm going to just end my work out routine until I'm done pumping, it's not worth it to me.
  6. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner*twin View Post
    Are you drinking enough water? This is SUPER important when breastfeeding/pumping, so maybe you're getting dehydrated from exercise and not getting enough water.
    I drink roughly 80oz a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Add in a bowl of oatmeal everyday, what Chaleigh said, try to make lactation cookies (just google, they're yummy!), and power pump. Al of that will help getting back, also, if your workout routine is really intense, you may need to cut that back for a while.
    I have two bowls every morning some times I eat it for lunch too, I just can't seem to get enough of it, and cereal.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Punky77 View Post
    I feel like if I'm attached to the pump anymore ill just die! I'm pumping every 2 hours during the day and go 4 hours at night, but if power pumping will help I will definitely try it! I'm going to just end my work out routine until I'm done pumping, it's not worth it to me.
    It won't take too long in power pumping to get it back up. I used to power pump for getting enough milk to leave Wyatt with a sitter for a few hours because I didn't do it on a regular basis so it sucked when I needed the milk and had to pump like crazy but it works.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Regular oatmeal doesn't help boost supply nearly as well as steel cut oats. Also, get some fenugreek! You have to take a ton but it helps! Power pumping always helped me increase my supply when I had a drop (and I EPed for 6 months) and increasing my water intake helped. I already drank a ton, but I just drank more.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by El Trina Fantastica View Post
    Regular oatmeal doesn't help boost supply nearly as well as steel cut oats. Also, get some fenugreek! You have to take a ton but it helps! Power pumping always helped me increase my supply when I had a drop (and I EPed for 6 months) and increasing my water intake helped. I already drank a ton, but I just drank more.
    Didn't even think of that but yes, the quick oats aren't as effective. Also, if you're near a Whole Foods or something like thta, you can buy fenugreek in its whole, seed form and grind it yourself. It's way cheaper that way that buying the capsules. I used to sprinkle it in the oatmeal and even with my eggs and mashed potatoes while nursing. It's a spice very common in Indian dishes so it will have a sort of taste but its easy to just add it to stuff throughout your day. I used to have to take around 12-15 capsules and swallowing pills is a hard thing for me to do so I was elated when I found the whole spice.
  10. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Thanks ladies! Can you guys explain power pumping to me, all I know is its a hour isn't it?