Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How'd you find child care?

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

How'd you find child care?

Advertisements
    Okay, seriously, I'm about to lose my mind

I've looked up every daycare facility in my city and none of them allow children under 2 years old. So, for your working mom's, how the hell did you find childcare? I'm new in the area, so I don't know a lot of people. The one person I do know, recommended me to someone who I actually really liked. I took Landon to meet her, they hit it off, she watches 2 other kids around his age...it's perfect. Only hiccup is the one day I need her, she has an appointment herself and can't watch him. She told me her friend might be filling in her for her, but she's not sure, so she'll let me know for sure next week.

So obviously, I want to have a back up just incase, since it took me 6 weeks to get this damn appointment and I'd hate to reschedule. I tried care.com, but honestly, I can't afford to pay $35 just to look at some people's profiles, and possibly not find what I'm looking for. So, is there another type of daycare, with different listings, that I should be looking into? Like, is there a type of daycare, or business that's specifically for infants that I'm unaware of?

2. Senior Member
    You should be able to sign up for Care.com for free. They have a program for military members/families. You just have to validate your information so they can cross reference it to make sure it is valid.

We used that when we were on the East Coast. When I had to look around for daycare when I started working outside of the house I just asked another military family that we knew since we discussed it when we met up at a social event about how hard it was to find good childcare.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    You should be able to sign up for Care.com for free. They have a program for military members/families. You just have to validate your information so they can cross reference it to make sure it is valid.

We used that when we were on the East Coast. When I had to look around for daycare when I started working outside of the house I just asked another military family that we knew since we discussed it when we met up at a social event about how hard it was to find good childcare.
    I'm signed up, but you have to upgrade and pay to see profiles. I'm not longer affiliated with the military so I'm not eligible for that program

4. Banned
    Banned
    I found a girl I went to school with. I'm really picky about who can watch Cameron, and I didn't want him going somewhere else. Our school is super small so you learn everythiiiiing about everyone, so I felt really comfortable leaving him with her. Do you guys have a yardsale kind of site? You may be able to find someone on there/make an ad yourself.
  5. Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Loving life as a new sahm/w
    Try facebook.... (your city) online yardsale look that up. Meet with people that way maybe? Its worth a shot?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrow'EmXL* View Post
    I'm signed up, but you have to upgrade and pay to see profiles. I'm not longer affiliated with the military so I'm not eligible for that program
    Darn, didn't realize that. Honestly, I would just ask around. Not sure how long you've been in the area but when I first moved here I asked around my work if anyone knew anybody and so people also asked on my behalf. That is hard to not be able to find anywhere that doesn't take under 2.

On the flip side, knowing that, have you ever thought about being a daycare provider for kids under two? Sounds like that would be a prime niche for the area you are in
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I've found all mine through Facebook or bookoo (like craigslist.)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Senior Member

I don't have a personal babysitter but the daycare she goes to does nights and weekends, I just tell them when I need someone a couple days in advance. The night/weekend people are the same ones that work during the week so I know all of them. Her daycare is also within walking distance from my house so it is AWESOME.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sittercity.com is a great resource. They show background checks and everything, so it's handy. That's how we've found our babysitters
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Sittercity.com is a great resource. They show background checks and everything, so it's handy. That's how we've found our babysitters
    (If you EVER need a sitter for that little darling, you can always ask me. I have no social life and have lots of experience. haha Plus, I'm probably cheaper than other sitters. Think of next weekend as a "meeting-a-friend/meeting-potential-babysitter" and you'll be good. haha)

While I don't have kids myself, anytime I've babysat in the past, it was typically through friends, friends of friends OR from people at church. I can't remember if you're the church going type or not, but at my congregations growing up, the teenage girls were always getting babysitting gigs and are really good at it, too. So maybe a local church can set you up with someone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast